“Nice clean hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center

You added Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center to your Saves list
Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Audubon Rd, Wakefield, MA 01880 (Formerly Sheraton Colonial Wakefield Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wakefield
Boston
“Nice clean hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed in this hotel to earn my SPG Gold this year. Joe over the phone upgraded my room to the club level without charge, and made the room arrangement according to my request before my arrival. That really impressed me as a new spg member. The room is not big but adequate. The AC is a little noisy at night but not a big issue either. The gym is BSC, a nice upscale facility, bit it's not onsite and will take about 5 minute walking. Not so convinient in winter. Club lounge food is ordinary, but no complain since it's free.

One thing I do want to complain is the lady working in the lounge room (2/2 night). When we entered the lounge, she was playing on the computer so we thought she was just another guest. Then, she just starred at us in a very annoying gesture without saying anything, even my 8-year old daughter sensed she was not friendly. I later figured out her only role was to make sure we didn't take any alcohol without paying. She should be just an outliner as the lady next day was very sweet.

Overall, considering the cost and service, this hotel deserves a 4-star, and I will come back again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
It was such a delight to have you stay with us at the Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and the club level upgrade with all its benefits. Please accept our apologies for the situation you encountered the one evening in the lounge, we will notify our management team of your concerns. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the honor of welcoming you back again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Hampshire, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a night at the Sheraton in Wakefield.

I’m not a fan of the Boston area: it inflicted the Kennedy family on us for one thing, and the last time we were there the traffic congestion was so appalling we vowed never to return

This hotel claims to be 12 miles from Boston, but perhaps they mean Boston’s furthest outreaches as it took our taxi driver about 40 minutes to get there from the airport. On the return trip the (different) taxi driver lost her way twice trying to avoid toll roads, so “convenient” is not a word I would choose, unlike some others who have reviewed this hotel. I was surprised how far out of town it was, but other attractions are nearby, I suppose. I travel as a speaker so almost never see anything other than hotels and highways.

We were en-route from Dallas to London. This hotel was being paid for by someone else, so the price range of $145 to $235 a night didn’t bother us. It would have if we had been footing the bill!

At this price level you would expect a lot of extras. I would, as we are used to Drury Inns where “extras! are included and the price range is far less: we pay under $100 a night including taxes in states like Missouri and Texas. A night’s sleep, even on the Sheraton’s excellent beds, is not worth more than that.

A night’s sleep is also about all you will get for the money. Things like breakfast are extra, ditto phone calls etc. At this price level you should at least get offered a basic breakfast, cereal choice and so forth. A “continental” breakfast is on offer at the higher priced suites. But then, their breakfasts are a good reason not to visit the continent, as they consist of a piece of toast and marmalade in the main. What about bacon and eggs, sausage patties and hash browns?

Drury Inns throw in a terrific cooked breakfast, very suitable for determined non “continentals” like us, plus a vat of fresh oatmeal (or other cereals), free juices, coffee etc, free soft drinks all day plus popcorn and, in the evening, another meal plus three alcoholic drinks free! Also included are free phone calls including an hour a day long distance calls. Unlike the Sheraton they also have a fridge and microwave, extremely useful to frequent travelers like us who buy our own milk and food when it makes sense.

There was a good choice of newspapers at The Sheraton and free wi-fi, which is as I would expect. Anyone trying to charge me for internet connection today would see me walk right out the door! I tried to adjust the air-con but it kept reverting to its pre-set level, so in the end I gave up.

We found this Wakefield (not Boston!) hotel to have well trained and helpful staff: they gave me some extra coffee sachets as you get a meager ration: ditto the creamer packages, which are always wasteful as we throw away the sugar and sweetener. I’m not keen on the one cup coffee makers that seem universal these days. My wife and I want a coffee together!

Good points: we had excellent oatmeal for breakfast (the only no sugar cereal option) and the accompanying fruit selection we chose was superbly fresh and varied: congratulations. Likewise our light lunch prior to returning to Logan- well prepared and served.

Small grouse: When I checked my US debit card account almost a week after our stay, during which time, as is our policy, we had no extras to pay for, an annoying amount of $50 was listed as “pending.”

Yes, hotels force you to leave a debit card number at the desk in case you run amok or whatever (I am 66!) but they should not presume to take a hold over even small amounts of money. Yes, I know they won’t take it out, but……it rasps me.

That’s not as terrible as American Airlines’ recent practice of reserving the sum paid for flights twice on our account, leaving a huge “not available” hole where you imagined your bank balance to be. But that’s another story and another battle……I’ll have to get onto their barely English speaking call center in Fiji and waste an hour or so……..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Your feedback is welcomed and we appreciate the time taken to share your experience with us. It’s disappointing that although you’ve expressed your pleasure with the newspaper selections and meals, we were not able to fully impress you during your stay. Although we can appreciate your dismay at having charges held on your debit card, it is an industry standard and hotel policy that potential charges such as phone calls or room service are secured at the time of check-in. The hold is later released at the end of the stay and any delay should be addressed with the debit card company. Thank you for your review.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Checked in for two nights. Staff were friendly if a bit inexperienced. Given room on 2nd floor facing front. Room was spacious with king bed, but seemed to be missing some furniture. Bed was comfortable and linens nice, but rest of room could use an update. Floor was very cold and had to keep heat on constantly to keep drafts at bay. There was a wedding reception that night and we could hear the band/DJ music until they quit at midnight. Had we needed our sleep I would have asked to move. If you're there over a weekend, ask for a room on a high floor away from the ballroom. Lots of parking, easy to find. Only bummer is fitness center / pool are at Boston Sports Club a walk or bus ride away. Guests have free access, but it's not inviting if you just want to run down for a quick swim or soak in the hot tub on a cold winter's night, or if you have kids who want to play in the pool on vacation. If you choose not to have your room serviced, you receive a $5 voucher to use in the hotel. The only item in the restaurant under $5 is a cup of coffee. Seriously? Given its location and distance to Boston I'll likely be back, but would like to see some changes.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
It’s disappointing that although you’ve shared an appreciation for several aspects of our hotel including the comfort of the beds and our location, there were still a few items with which you were not as happy with. Your feedback is welcomed and we hope that on your next visit you will let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay even better.
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here recently for a business event. The hotel staff were very warm and friendly and tried their best to address my concerns. Although the bed was very comfortable and clean as were the pillows overall the room needed some attention. The walls were marred and rather dirty. The bathroom fixtures and tub were rather old and tarnished. In general the room and floors could stand a good scrubbing. Again, the staff was very apologetic and attempted to make adjustments.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Your feedback is welcomed; however it is disappointing that your stay was not as you had anticipated. We value the opinions and suggestions of our guests very much and we are grateful that you have shared your impressions with us here. Thank you for mentioning our staff’s efforts. We hope that you will allow us to welcome you back again in the future.
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This hotel is an affordable option while staying in Boston area. The hotel is approx. 30 min. drive from BOS Logan airport. Right off the interstate with large free parking. For restaurants, stores you'll have to drive at least 10 minutes but there is what seemed to be a convenience store near the hotel. The lobby is very pleasant and the check-in/out process quite fast but the rooms are small. We booked 2 connecting rooms via Hotwire and we were not accomodated in what you'd expect to be an avarage Sheraton room. As I mentioned our rooms and the bathrooms were small, and cleaning was not completely satisfactory to me, unfortunately. The conditioning / heating sys was a bit loud. In one room free bottled water was provided in the other there was a tag with a price on it instead. With this said, considering the pros and cons I'd stay here again for an overnight.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
We are delighted that we could provide you with an affordable option for your overnight accommodations in the Boston area. The Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center is centrally located between the Historic North Shore and Boston and we are less than twenty miles from the airport. We are sorry that we were not able to fully meet your expectations in terms of your room size and housekeeping. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back and please let us know if there is anything we could do to make your stay even better.
plymouth new hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Our stay was Friday Nov. 16 –Sun. 18th. This hotel is PET FRIENDLY with no charge for pets. That scores HUGE POINTS with me! There is no charge for parking and that is hard to find in the Boston area.
Location: Don’t plan on walking anywhere, there did not seem to be much around. But there is a hotel shuttle that will drive you around (I was told this but did not use).

There are plenty of places to walk your dog and the hotel allows you to have your dogs in the internet café & lounge areas just not in the restaurant/bar.

Check in was a little difficult. The 2 women at the front desk did not speak English very well so when I asked for a room near an exit it became a 5-7 minute unneeded confusion.
We ended up with our original room on the 3rd floor.

Room: 308 was updated & nice, the bed was SOOO COMFORTABLE! Lots of pillows! The room did need a little repair. The light switch in the bathroom was broken so the light was on the entire stay. The shower/tub needed to be re-grouted but seemed to be very clean. The toilet in this room is really funny!! After you flush when it is done filling it makes this funny FARTING sound!!! We would just flush the toilet to get a laugh!! LOL

The Fitness center/pool is not in the hotel. You have to walk across the parking lot.

Food: The buffet lunch that was served for the conference we were attending was not good. Chicken very dry, beef tips really dry, Salmon very fishy, the veggies were weird and I really think they forgot to cook the rice, CRUNCHY!!!

The breakfast buffet was o.k. but not worth the price. The free breakfast Best Western gives you is better so that is sad. But our server was very nice and attentive.

BAR: Friday night the bartender was nothing less than awesome. Irene was so much fun, attentive and what you want in a bartender. That Lady can dish it out and take it…LOL

Saturday night at the bar was a guy bartender (Jerimah ? can’t remember…..) very attentive and was great.
The burgers are very good but stay away from the Queso & chips..not good.

Check out was easy & it was nice to have 2 polite ladies at the front desk who could speak English.

Overall a great stay, and I would stay here again & being pet friendly is awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SheratonColonial, General Manager at Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
We’re delighted that your overall experience at the Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center was so wonderful. We understand it is hard for pet owners to leave behind their best friend when traveling which is why we welcome dogs up to 80 lbs. Thank you for your many lovely comments and detailed review of your stay. We regret that not every aspect lived up to your expectations and hope that those few items did not have a great impact on your overall experience. The next time you are in the area we look forward to welcoming you back again.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was attending a party in Salem, MA, and utilized Hotwire for a quality nearby Hotel. I was pleased to have purchased a Sheraton room as my experiences with Sheratons have always been first rate, even when purchased through Hotwire. The hotel's appearance is as we've come to expect of Sheratons which is excellent. However, it seems that if you've purchased a room at this hotel through Hotwire, you will be provided a room inferior to what you would expect at Sheratons. Our room, #166 was located on the first floor and was very small. The room was so small that if you stepped into the room without paying attention after opening the door, you would fall over the bed. In fact when you open the door it brushes the bed's covers! If the closet door is open, it blocks access to the room's door. The bathroom is small and offers very little vanity space. The walls have smudges and the ceilings have stains from mold that has been cleaned. The window shades have numerous small holes and cuts which allow outside lighting to filter through at night when a darkened room is preferable. From the look of the hotel, it certainly appears to me that the hotel offers better rooms, just not to Hotwire customers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We sincerely regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations during your recent trip. Our hotel offers a variety of guest rooms of varying sizes and amenities to provide just the right comfort level and to fulfill your needs. We couldn’t be more disappointed that we didn’t have that opportunity when it would have mattered most to address your concerns. Thank you for sharing your impressions with us.

Been to Sheraton Colonial Boston North Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!