“Overpriced Dining in the Suburbs” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 68 restaurants in Wakefield
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
woburn, ma
“Overpriced Dining in the Suburbs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My husband took me to Artichokes to celebrate Mother's Day, because he knew I had been wanting to try it from positive reviews from co-workers and family members. We were disappointed to say the least. First of all, I am leery of restaurants that do not have a website with people scouring the internet these days. We started with the antipasto to share as our appetizer. The Italian coldcuts were sliced on the thick side, a no-no that the chef should have picked up on and corrected! Just your typical antipasto, nothing memorable or special. My husband asked to sample the marinara sauce, he knows what he likes and so many Italian restaurants don't have a clue how to make an authentic sauce. The server (she never told us her name) was gracious enough to accomodate my husband's request. Lo and behold, it was chunky, more like stewed tomotoes than a smooth consistency, which is what marinara should be. He should have gone into the kitchen and given the chef a lesson on the proper way to execute this. Moving on to the entrees, I ordered the veal loin special that was served on homemade pasta with mushrooms in a light sauce. I do admit it was tasty, but very overpriced - $36! I feel when the waitstaff recites the daily specials, they should include the price, and shouldn't leave it up to the diners to ask. Another no-no. Hubby had the carbonara, and had shrimp added for an additional $6. It was average at best. Steak is on the menu, but doesn't come with any sides, you order them for an additional fee. Do they realize they are not located in Boston? And martinis are also very pricey. It's my understanding when they were located in Malden, the staff was much nicer and prices more comparable to their surroundings. Needless to say, we won't be going back.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

36% Recommend
“Food is fantastic, service is average.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

I had the fillet mignon and seafood special. Holly cow, it is gigantic! It is served on fresh pasta, and it feeds me and my wife! The mignon is unbelievably juicy and tender, the seafood is new England fresh and pasta is al dente.
The lobster ravioli while is rich, is not fantastic. I will definitely order the special agin. I think it cost $36, but it feeds two!!
Expensive but for the right occasion is great. Suggest you go early though! Dun think it is suitable for a family meal. More like for couple.

boston
“Very rude bolnde hostess!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I went on a Fri nite to Artichokes. Could not get past the very unclassy blonde hostess that made us wait for sometime before she acknowleged us. We just wanted to sit in the dining room but oh noooooo those tables were for parites of four. Heven fobid. This was around 7:oclock and there were quite a few tables empty. I doubt if they got filled. She wanted us to sit downstairs in the small lounge for dinner. tHat was not going to happen or sit in the noisy bar on a hightop. Again was not going to happen. I notice with other reviees aboyt this place other people have had problems with the hostess. I do not know if it is the same one but maybe they all need to be re trained???? Any ways never again and does the owner actually know about the complaints? Maybe he does not care.Any way great restaurent across the st. I think itis called Sabitini`s. I think that is how you spell it. IT IS WONDERFUL AND NO ONE IS RUDE THERE? Check it out

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
WOBURN, MA
“Too expensive/would NOT go back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2012

This review is 50/50. I do agree 100% with other reviewers on the website as far as the food and service in concerned. I will strictly tell you of my own personal experience as a first-timer to this place.

My husband & I showed up at 5:30pm Saturday evening because I took into consideration the other reviewers that have said there would be a wait if you show up after 6-6:30pm. We were going with another couple, who was running 10-minutes late. So, we walked in, and the place is VERY small! The woman (who I now know to be the owner) was sitting people. She asked us how many in our group and I said "Four". the owner only saw two of us and said, "I cannot sit you until your whole party is here". So I said, "We can sit and drink"...thinking she would be concerned holding up a table when others could be eating (and spending $$) but she said we could not hold a table on a Saturday night. No smile. No welcome. Nothing. She did not look happy. Customer service is NOT the owners strong suit.

So, my husbad and I waited at the bar. I agree with one other reviewer that the bartenders are RUDE. We were the only ones sitting at the bar on a Saturday night at 5:30pm, and the two woman bartenders were more concerned talking with eachother than waiting on us. She finally noticed us after 5-minutes and asked what we wanted. My husband asked what beer they had on tap. The bartenders response? "We dont have beer on tap, this is a classy restaurant"
Huh boy! Nice response that was!! He opted to order a bottled beer.

The other couple we went with finally showed and we were sat immediately (5:45pm Saturday evening) although it got pretty crowded and I think we got the last table. The room is soooo tiny that I couldnt even pull my chair out to sit down! They had to ask the table next to us to stand up so they could physically move their whole table just so we could sit down. Looks liked the whole place only had 20 tables or so. They probably should have had only 1/2 that, due to the space constraints.

The waitress was pleasant. Food arrived promptly. Mixed drinks, excellent....but expensive!!! Food arrived hot, fresh, and good! Portions reasonable.

Would I go here again? NO! Would I recommend? NO!
This place is NOT WORTH the money we spent.

• Visited April 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Somewhat disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Really expected a nice, semi-high-end experience,and the place really disappointed. The food was average, not exactly expertly prepared, and uncreative. Not terrible, but too expensive for what it is.