“"B&B with history, charm and hospitality!"” 5 of 5 stars

The 1720 House
152 Main Street, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #4 of 15 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Glendale, California, United States
“"B&B with history, charm and hospitality!"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

It's like staying with friends! Abby, the owner and Lucinda, the house manager are like family (the good one's). They are there to pamper and satisfy your every need to make your visit a most enjoyable experience. The entire house, common areas such as the living room, sitting room, screened porch, and dining room as well as the quest rooms and bathrooms are extremely clean and cheery. Lawns, flowers, and a great sitting area under a big tree on the side yard provide peace and beauty. Looking to walk around Vineyard Haven and explore the sites and shops, just walk out the front door and you're on Main Street at the residential section just a block or two from the shopping area. At a loss as to what to do, just ask Abby or Lucinda. Having lived on Martha's Vineyard for many years they know all the good places to go.

Room Tip: The Lincoln Room on the main floor is exceptional! Also the Garden Room was most enjoyable. Both r...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The 1720 House is an excellent home away from home. Abby, the owner, and Lucinda, the house manager are exceptionally friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The 1720 house is in an excellent location and has beautiful rooms. They provide a delightful breakfast that includes coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, fresh fruit, and the most delightful bread you will ever taste. Our 11 days spent here were nothing short of fantastic. Thanks so much to both of you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Pick this place randomly. First time B&B. Direct contact with the owner who made representations that were fulfilled. Clean, accommodating and a nice departure from a hotel room. Walking distance to much of what you need and accessible for everything else. Breakfast (healthy and adequate) style is a unique experience and promotes friendly experiences with other guest. Abby (owner) and Lucinda (manager) were great(very pleasant and full of information) as well as the room attendant. Would strongly recommend. Robert A. Douglas, Jr., Youngstown, OH

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The house is beautiful, set back a little from the road, and as soon as you walk into the living room, you can tell you've arrived somewhere that has history, is interesting, and is full of charm. The house is in a great location, just a few minutes' walk from Vineyard Haven's ferry terminal, and more importantly, the bus station. I relied on the buses to get me around and they work great - just tell the driver where you're trying to get to and they'll tell you everything you need about how to get there.
The most important thing to mention, though, are Abby and Lucinda, who took me under their wing and couldn't have taken better care of me if I was one of their own family. They gave me great advice for my time on the island, which meant I got to see things I might have missed out on otherwise (Shakespeare, opera, and the Cape Poge guided tours are definitely worth a try.)
If I'm lucky enough to return to Martha's Vineyard, I will definitely be checking out the 1720s house for a second visit.

Room Tip: I stayed in both the Blue and Brown rooms (mine was a fairly late reservation so I had to change ove...
Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I have not been to the Vineyard in many years. I wanted to treat my sister to a little R&R and found this beautiful B&B. The location was perfect as it is walking distance from the Ferry, downtown and our rental car agency so made my reservation. I was not disappointed.
The owner, Abbey and the Host, Lucinda are very kind and accommadating, not to mention very knowledgable of the island which to us was extremely helpful. We stayed in the Brown room and it was a very large California king size bed that was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. We shared a bathroom with another room which helped lower the price of the room... it was not a problem at all. The hosts have a seperate space for each room to place your things.
Both hosts are very knowledgeable about the areas restaurants, shops and local events and were kind to recommend some excellent restaurants for us. My recommendation... listen to them and follow their advice... I am soooo glad we did.
Breakfast was a collection of assorted muffins, locally made jellies and jams, yogurt, granola, fresh berries, freshly made orange juice, coffee and teas. Very well done.
I loved this place and we both enjoyed our stay so much we are thinking of making this a yearly sister tradition. Oh, and check out the church behind the B&B at night... when its all lit up it is quite beautiful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Brown Room which has a huge California King Bed... extremely comfortable for my sis...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

The kids and I had never stayed in a B&B, and we weren't sure we'd like it.

We loved it. Well, I loved it. The kids are teenagers. They grudgingly admitted they didn't totally hate it.

The 1720 House is the ultimate B&B: beautiful early 18th century architecture, but with all the modern conveniences my kids require. Intimate enough that I made several new friends, but private enough that the kids did not. On a quiet, tree-lined street, but within walking distance of Vineyard Haven's "downtown."

Abby, the owner, turned out to be one of the most fascinating people I've met in a long time. If you ever go to the 1720 House, you want to ask her to tell her Groucho Marx story. And Lucinda, the manager, was endlessly kind and patient. She spent a great deal of time helping me figure out how best to entertain my hard-to-please kids and loaning us the supplies we needed for our days trips around the island: beach towels and umbrella, water bottles, picnic plates, etc.

The kids and I now plan to pay the 1720 House the ultimate compliment: We plan to return in the fall. If Abby and Lucinda will have us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I really love my stay at 1720 house. It has a wonderful location in a beautiful street in vineyard Heaven which I found the best location in Martha's vineyard. It is a very quiet town but very close to the nightlife and the beach. I love my room the Brown room has a big bed and it is very cozy. I also love the backyard it is so pretty that u feel in a movie set but with a relax atmosphere. The host is a very nice lady and she will give u a lot of tips of the Island. You also will feel in your friend house instead at a hotel:) I can't wait to go back to my new house in Vineyard Heaven.
Tip: the bus station is just 3 blocks from the house and it will take u everywhere no need to drive. I also took taxi after 1AM and it won't break your account since the house is very close to Oak Bluffs.

Room Tip: ask for the Brown room..it is lovely
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The 1720 House? Share your experiences!