“Cozy Martha's Vineyard Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

The 1720 House
152 Main Street, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
“Cozy Martha's Vineyard Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the 1720 House during our very first visit to Martha's Vineyard recently and were very pleased with the experience. The common areas of the house are incredibly cozy and welcoming and our room (the Blue Room) was small but very cozy, very clean, and had some nice views of the beautiful mature trees in the front yard. The Inn was conveniently close to the ferry and to the inter-island buses and our fellow guests were mostly lovely young couples. We would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I travel frequently to Martha's Vineyard and always stay at 1720 House. It's 5 minutes from the ferry, downtown Vineyard Haven and a cute little park right on the water. Abby Hirsch the owner, is a New Yorker turned inn owner, and an author and journalist to boot. She's a hoot and knows what's happening on the island, both in the papers and behind the scenes. Plus there's the oldest tree on the island right in the backyard just outside of the 'porch room', one of the common areas.

The staff is always great, the place is tidy and it's a home away from home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Abby and Cheryle were the two most welcoming hosts I think we've experienced on our travels. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel at home, and it was altogether a great few days on the Vineyard. The room was well kitted-out and the bed was comfortable. Great breakfast in the morning, and Abby and Cheryle were full of recommendations for places to eat later in the day. We would definitely come here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Southborough, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I found the 1720 house thanks to the help from the reservation staff at www.mvreservations.com and I could not have been happier. The house was gorgeous an my stay was very comfortable. My room was clean and very well decorated with just the right mix of island charm and modern convenience that made me feel like i was an islander myself!!!!. The Continental-style breakfast was yummy and fresh and was the perfect start to each day. Abby, the owner, was very inviting. She always was ready with a funny story about the island or a great recommendation on where to eat what to see and on the best and easiest way to get there. I don't think my trip would have been half as fun without her advice. I can't wait until my next vacation and my next trip back will definitely stay here again. Thanks Abby!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

THE 1720 HOUSE IS ONE OF THE MOST WELCOMING PLACES i HAVE STAYED AT.
I love the houses authentic and well decorated style. It is very convivial and comfortable and has great beds .
Best is the extra effort everyone there makes for the comfort and pleasure of guests. They can custom create your stay so that in a few days you will feel as though you really know the island. Stay 3 days to maximize your journey. Abby the owner has created a special "Creative Cultural Service" If you have special interests such as wanting a guided tour of the islands galleries taking painting or photography lessons (We were tutored on the best way to photograph lighthouses) or just about anything else she can find someone to help you. The fees are moderate. Abby is a real gem and so is her associate Cheryle.
STAY THERE

Room Tip: Stayed in Americana Room liked it and some others I saw As for rating above they dont have a pool o...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is one of the best places I've stayed in quite a few years. My room was comfortable, the bed was like sleeping on a pillow, and the staff went above and beyond to make my stay a wonderful, pleasurable experience. If you're going to visit Vineyard Haven, you must stay at the 1720 House. You won't regret it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The only complaint people seem to have is regarding Abby's attitude. I can corroborate this based on my interactions with her via email and telephone, but we were helped by another, extremely pleasant and helpful woman for the duration of the stay. The place is conveniently located, nicely put together, and quite comfortable for a house of its age. Breakfast was spare in the offseason (Abby was very clear about this when we booked) but perfectly acceptable. Would certainly stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The 1720 House? Share your experiences!