“Our first B&B experience! Beyond words...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thorncroft Inn

You added Thorncroft Inn to your Saves list
Thorncroft Inn
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   460 Main Street, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #3 of 13 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
“Our first B&B experience! Beyond words...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

My boyfriend and I just spent the most amazing weekend together at The Thorncroft Inn! The room was beautiful and exactly as described. The Victorian ambiance of the entire Inn was absolutely gorgeous! The Innkeepers were so very helpful.A weekend we will always remember. We will definitely be returning in the summer months, to both Martha's Vineyard and The Thorncroft Inn! Thank you Karl and Lynn for making our first B&B experience that much more wonderful!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Families
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The owners of Thorncroft Inn are what makes this property so special. They are informative and attentive, but respectful of your privacy. They provided us with some wonderful self guided tours and dinner suggestions. The breakfasts were AMAZING - better than anything you could get at a hotel or resort. Although the decor in our room was a bit early 90s, it was big, comfortable, clean, and private. The property is wooded and you are very likely to see wild turkey, deer, rabbits, and other woodland creatures. We will definitely stay here every time we visit the island.

Room Tip: Each room is unique, so I suggest looking at their website to choose the one most suited to your tas...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairfield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed two nights. The Innkeepers make you feel right at home. They explain all of the Island's eccentricities. The breakfasts are delicious and enormous. Our room was cozy and quaint. Rode our bikes off the ferry, straight to the Inn.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Cod, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was on the Vineyard for one night on business. In the past, I've picked random Inn's to stay at. Upon arrival, I was blown away with the over the top hospitality from owners Karl & Lynn. The Inn is simply beautiful, plenty of parking, fantastic amenities and I could go on forever about the level of service. I usually don't stay for breakfast while on business, however, I did this trip and again, was amazed. They made me feel like a king. I cannot wait to go back for vacation. For the record, I was in the hospitality industry for 20 years. I am rarely impressed ... Karl & Lynn are incredibly proud proprietors and simply get what it takes!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband and I recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary at the the Thorncroft Inn. Karl and Lynn were the most gracious and helpful innkeepers we have ever encountered. Karl helped us with planning from the minute we made our reservation and provided us with great tips on how to spend our time. The end result was a perfect vacation.
One of the nicest aspects of staying in the inn was the cleanliness. Our room and bathroom were immaculate. Karl and Lynn do not miss a detail.
I have recommended this inn to all my friends and acquaintances and hope that they can be lucky enough to stay there some day.
Thank you for a great memory!!
P.S. It is a ways from town but a pleasant, easy walk to enjoy.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main house above the kitchen area but we never heard any noise. It was very pea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Seaford, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I just got back from the lovely Thorncroft Inn in Vineyard Haven. We loved every minute of our stay. Karl and Lynn were excellent hosts. The breakfast meals were so huge we couldn't finish them and couldn't even think about having lunch!! Karl recommended 4 different terrific restaurants and was on the money with all of them. He also gave great sightseeing tips and directions to all. Our room was immaculate. We could walk to the town, or a coast guard lighthouse, or to the ferry from the inn. The town is very nice as it has a few places to eat or just hang out. The Organic Cafe was excellent!! We will defintely return to the Thorncroft Inn next summer. Maybe even sooner!!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

is apparently Vineyard Haven 's worst kept secret. The taxi driver who drove us to Oak Bluff for embarkation to Hyanis was moved to check whether we had any greenbacks left after our two day stay at the Thorncroft Inn!   I can categorically state that this is the most expensive, read overpriced bed and breakfast that I have had occasion to stay in and i have had the privilege to stay in many.  Our research was it must be said somewhat hurried as we strove to find ourselves accommodation ahead of the July 4th weekend but on the remarks made by Booking.com we trusted our choice.  Wrong!  Research after the event suggests very many have arrived at same conclusion as ourselves.

I can wholeheartedly concur with the the comments referring to the rather aged decor. I would go as far as to say drab, dark and dull if not damp.  We had a stunning view from the door to the deck of two attractive plastic chairs.  It is inconveniently located especially or anyone without a car as buses do not run late at night .

We were ushered into a side reception room and left to wait and wonder with the fridge.  The whole over precise military timing of breakfast sittings was farcical.  The guest who uttered" who would have thought about French toast and cheddar cheese ?" was bang on, not to mention a peach concoction on top. We retreated to our room the following breakfast opting for a continental breakfast which was anything but continental. Bread rolls and a tub of yoghurt although the fruit was welcoming no cheese or meats.  I will admit that on an unseasonably wet and chilly weekend the "log fire " in the room was welcome .

The Thorncroft Inn may well have been one of America's best rated Inns back in 1990 but that was a quarter of a century ago and in a different century.  Standards have changed. Guests expect tea and coffee making facilities, a cheerful welcome and with respect not one that one might get a wake. The  suggestion that a 10 pct gratuity was in order, perhaps expected, was gratuitously insulting and ignored.  The Thorncroft Inn room rates I contend are too high by a factor of double. The sooner the assessor s of AAA revisit the better for this kind of experience can only give Vineyard Haven and Martha's  Vineyard a bad rap. Thank heavens for the islands ' excellent bus service which went some way to restore our faith in humanity ..Only some.

P S The two night stay cost the princely sum of USD 781.30 .The taxi was 15 bucks including tip  to the ferry. Best value on Martha's Vineyard was the all day bus pass for 7 dollars apiece .

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Thorncroft Inn? Share your experiences!