“Peace Convenience and Good Taste” 4 of 5 stars

The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard
60 Mount Aldworth Rd, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Cambridge
“Peace Convenience and Good Taste”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2008

The past weekend was a quiet, relaxing, and delicious journey to Martha's Vineyard because of the Doctor's House. Nestled away from town but a stone's throw away, the grounds allowed us to "get away from it all" while still being able to take advantage of all of the charms and attractions of Martha's Vineyard. The room was cozy, clean, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The breakfast was excellent. I had the eggs benedict and they were terrific!! Fruit, muffins, scones, and delicious fresh-brewed coffee with the eggs benedict was a lot of great breakfast. Eating out on the porch with the view of grounds was almost beatific. Definitiely would come back next week or next summer if possible.

• Liked — The room was very comfortable and relaxing in design; location was perfect.
  • Disliked — Vineyard Haven is a dry town.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

I'll start with the positive - great location on a quite street and the grounds are beautiful. It has a giant tree in the yard that is just pure magic. Easy walk to the city center of Vineyard Haven. Unfortunately, that's all the positive I have to report. The interior to the house smelled like cat pee.

We were welcomed by being told that we arrived too early and can place our things in a public area by the front door.

When we returned at 5:30pm, our things were still in the front room.
the breakfast consisted of a nice muffin, a burnt cup of coffee (when I asked for another cup, I was told that was all they had) rotten fruit and one piece of delicious french toast.

The room cost us over $250 a night and there were broken shower handles.

We've stayed at many b&d's and this is the first time I felt the value of what we got did not match the price- I'm sure you could probably do better than this place.

• Liked — the big tree
  • Disliked — the smell of cat pee
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

The owners sent their teenage kids and the kids' friends to play in the kitchen directly below my room. They were very loud until after midnight. Think disco music and video games. No restful stay here! I had to come down at 12:15am to ask for quiet. When I mentioned it in the morning the owner said I should have complained sooner! She wants the guests to provide the boundaries for her kids. I guess it's not obvious to her that guests in a B&B want to sleep! I had been required to pay in advance (three months, in full) for my June stay. I would have had to find a new place and fight to get my money back - not a good basis for challenging the noise level at 11pm. There were also no keys at all - not for the house or the room. Not so great if you are concerned about securing your laptop. I am not staying here again any time soon.

Stayed June 2008
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

This hotel was a great find. It is strategically located in the town and very close to all the great restaurants. Our room was beautifully decorated with flowers and incent.

Breakfast in our room was very good and the eggs were very well cooked. I also liked the soaps and creams thatt they provided us in the room.

The staff was attentive to every need we had.

Thank you for such a great stay.

• Stayed November 2007
new haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Doctor's House for three nights in August and loved it. Vineyard Haven is very busy and this was a nice little retreat from all the people. The room was very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and the owner was very nice. It is a little walk into town, but not a big deal. The bus runs very nearby and gives you easy access to anyplace on the island. We'd go back again in a minute.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlie's House
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

The place is quite nice, but on vacation you don't expect to arrive after check-in time and wait 3 hours to receive a room key. The owner was so unwelcoming we felt we were imposing. We will never go back!!!

• Liked — pretty yard
  • Disliked — hostess was downright hostile
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's quite a beautiful home and a great summer destination. Breakfast is made to order and delicious. Romantic and also child friendly, this place is a jewel. I hated to leave.

Stayed July 2007

Been to The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!