“A great find” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 13 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Los Angeles
“A great find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2008

This hotel was a great find. It is strategically located in the town and very close to all the great restaurants. Our room was beautifully decorated with flowers and incent.

Breakfast in our room was very good and the eggs were very well cooked. I also liked the soaps and creams thatt they provided us in the room.

The staff was attentive to every need we had.

Thank you for such a great stay.

• Stayed November 2007

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
new haven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Doctor's House for three nights in August and loved it. Vineyard Haven is very busy and this was a nice little retreat from all the people. The room was very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and the owner was very nice. It is a little walk into town, but not a big deal. The bus runs very nearby and gives you easy access to anyplace on the island. We'd go back again in a minute.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charlie's House
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

The place is quite nice, but on vacation you don't expect to arrive after check-in time and wait 3 hours to receive a room key. The owner was so unwelcoming we felt we were imposing. We will never go back!!!

• Liked — pretty yard
  • Disliked — hostess was downright hostile
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2007

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. It's quite a beautiful home and a great summer destination. Breakfast is made to order and delicious. Romantic and also child friendly, this place is a jewel. I hated to leave.

Stayed July 2007
Sudbury, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2007

My wife and I don't generally stay in B&Bs but we found The Doctor's House quite enjoyable. The property itself is quite lovely and charming; the gardens are beautiful and maintained personally by the owner. Our room (#5) seemed a little on the small side, but it was very comfortable and the bathroom was spacious. Great cable tv and she provides free wireless internet. Very quiet part of town and only a short walk to Vineyard Haven (which, by the way, is a DRY town). The grounds have wild turkeys on it and we had great fun watching two of them fly up into the huge oak tree on the yard. The breakfasts were great.

Highly recommend.

Stayed June 2007
New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

This is the place we've dreamed of finding, for long weekends or longer visits on Martha's Vineyard. Everything you could ever want is here. No need to pack tons of stuff like with rental cottages, just grab the kids and jeans and swimsuits and enjoy every minute in a beautiful, comfortable, home-style setting tucked away in the MIDDLE of Vineyard Haven... just a short walk to the village, but feels like an English Country House or a French provincial chateau, or as if you're at a friend's or relative's house. Charming, comfortable, sunny rooms, easy friendly ambiance, a lovely porch and lawn for kids, lavish breakfasts either inside or on the porch, bikes to ride, and hosts who provide anything you could possibly need... internet, fax, from bandaids to paper clips, all the bothersome things you don't need to pack, and anything else they'll arrange for you... they even provided sandwiches, snacks, wines etc for our visiting friends! We spent a week there for a family wedding and felt so comfortable and "at home" that many of the wedding guests visited us there and wished they too had been staying at The Doctor's House, which historically was the home of a doctor and is now owned by a doctor and his wife which is comforting in case of any need. The rates are very reasonable, and wonderful fresh breakfasts included. Swimming pool/spa and laundry facilities are available just minutes away, and beautiful beaches and bike paths are everywhere.

New England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a two-night stay (30 June - 2 July 2006) at the Doctor's House Bed & Breakfast. Not knowing a lot about Martha's Vineyard, I basically picked this B&B at random, and I don't regret my choice.

We stayed in Room #7. I chose that room after reading the room descriptions on the Inn's Web site. The room was very nicely and tastefully furnished and my wife really liked it's "feel". My wife travels a lot for business and truly enjoyed this room's "homey" feel. There was a separate smaller room which contained a small couch and the T.V. This came in handy on one of the mornings when I awoke a little earlier than my wife and I was able to entertain myself with the T.V. without disturbing her. There are two air conditioners (one in the main room and one in the T.V. room) but during our stay we didn't need them as there was enough cross-breeze through the open windows to keep us comfortable at night. We did, however, turn the air conditioner in the T.V. room on the "fan" setting when we were in there because that small room only had one window.

Breakfast was served each morning outside, though we were asked if we'd like to eat inside or outside. We chose the outside seating because both mornings the weather was absolutely perfect. Though there was a full breakfast available, my wife and I do not eat big breakfasts and chose to only have the freshly made muffins and/or scones and coffee. A plate of cut-up fruit (pineapple, strawberries, melon, blueberries) was served, too.

Though we didn't spend any time in them, the grounds are lovely. There was a flock of wild turkeys running around the neighborhood and in the grounds of the B&B, which was quite a surprise. There were even two young turkey chicks in the group. On our first morning there, we awoke to the the gobbling of the tom(s) and later, sitting outside for breakfast, we were treated to a turkey parade. That's certainly something you don't experience every day.

My wife and I didn't interact with the owners during our short stay, except for their young daughter (?) Noel, who served the breakfast. Noel was very polite and cute. Since checkout was at 11 a.m. and our ferry wasn't scheduled to leave until 3:30 p.m., we asked if we could leave our luggage at the B&B for pickup early in the afternoon. This we did, and we were even offered a chance to freshen up, if we wanted, when we picked up our luggage. We thought that this offer was very nice.

As mentioned in other reviews, the B&B is a short walk from the center of Vineyard Haven where there are numerous restaurants, some shops, and one can catch a bus to other parts of the island. A visitor to Martha's Vineyard needs to remember that the Island is "dry" except in Oak Bluffs and Edgartown, so alcohol is not served in restaurants outside those two towns. You can, however, bring your own. My wife and I purchased a bottle of wine in Oak Bluffs and had it when we dined at The Mediterranean in Vineyard Haven. The waitress opened, served, and chilled the wine in an ice bucket for us.

My wife and I would definitely stay again in The Doctor's House B&B.

• Stayed July 2006

Been to The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!