“Gorgeous propery, idyllic atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard

and 1 more site!
You added The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard to your Saves list
The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   60 Mount Aldworth Rd, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #7 of 13 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Monaco-Ville, Monaco
“Gorgeous propery, idyllic atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

I had business on the Vineyard and stayed once in mid-July and, somewhat regretting not having had enough time to fully enjoy it all, returned for a brief stay later that same month!  You really get into the owners' and the Vineyard's vibe.  it is a very safe & relaxing B&B.

The staff are very helpful and interesting people.  They really deliver on the tasty breakfasts, and there is a good tea selection.

Wild turkeys (comical for tourists but who can resist the poults!), deer, hummingbirds, finches and other fauna and beautifully tended flora enhance any given moment of the day.  It is nice and quiet at night, but the revellers had no trouble partying in very nearby towns (the inn has bikes to loan and the buses are great).  Fabulous hammock, great Lafuma chairs, spectacular grounds (the website pictures do not do justice)  -- all this just a few minutes away from Vineyard Haven.  Also, great sitting rooms in the large, historic house (see the album).

Next time I travel to the area, this will be a destination!

Room Tip: Ask for advice
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank M D

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I took my wife here for her surprise birthday. We spent 3 days in July and really enjoyed the place. The owner gave us a tour of the place and showed us a scrap book of pictures of the B&B from many years ago. There is dog and a cat at the B&B which provided us with some entertainment at times. Great breakfast. My only issue was breakfast was served from 8-9am, sometimes my wife and I like to sleep in and eat a little later. If your looking for a New England type B&B this is a great place. A short 5-10 minute walk to Vineyard Haven. Will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #2 which we liked. It was the last room available when i booked.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank dctravler
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We stayed here for a weekend in August for a friend's wedding. It was my first B&B experience and unfortunately this place ruined it! Jilana was so rude to my fiance and I right from the get-go.

The attitude started even before we got there. I called on Friday morning to confirm our reservation for that weekend, which I think is a pretty common thing to do. She basically made me feel like an idiot on the phone. "Why would you call to confirm? Don't you have an email confirmation? Of course we have your reservation" Nice way to start off in the "hospitality" business. I also let her know that we would likely arrive late as we would be driving from Boston. When we got there and rang the doorbell it must have been around 9pm - she wanted to know how we could arrive so late, how rude to ring the doorbell at 9pm, blahblahblah. When I asked for a key, she said "No keys. Don't you know this is the Vineyard?" Sorry, but why would I assume that there is no crime in the Vineyard. Then she wanted to know if we would be at breakfast. Do I know at 9pm the night before if I'm going to get up for breakfast? I told her I'd play it by ear.

Come Saturday morning, I woke around 9:30am and headed downstairs to check out breakfast while my fiance stayed in the room sleeping. Again, this was my first B&B experience so I wasn't sure how it would work. I wandered through an empty dining room and into a kitchen. Jilana jumped in my face and said "Breakfast is over! You're too late!" I was stunned, startled, and embarassed. Apparently breakfast is only served on the porch with formal seating and a waitress. How did I know? I could see that the servers were in the kitchen helping to put away leftover food - fruit, pastries, bagels, etc. Why couldn't JIlana just say Good morning and offer me something? Her husband, in the background, peered around and said "You can have coffee." I said NO THANKS and stormed away.

Later that afternoon was the wedding we had come to attend. There were about 5 other couples (much older) that were also guests of the wedding (and Jilana knew this). However, when these other couples solicited her help in securing transportation to the wedding (very expensive on MV) she didn't bother to let us know. So my fiance and I paid for an additional taxi when we could have easily jumped in with the other guests.

This review is getting very long and I could go on and on about how terrible our experience was, but I'll leave it at what's already been said.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
10 Thank trophywife910
jimini17lexington_Ma, Owner at The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

For our first time visiting Martha's Vineyard, we had a wonderful, peaceful stay at the Doctors House. The house and yard are so charming, clean and comfortable. Between the quiet hammock, adirondack chairs, and lazy cats, you feel very welcome at this B&B. Can't beat the yummy selection of home cooked breakfast in the morning with good coffee and fresh fruit (we highly recommend the croissant French toast). Having access to the free bicycles for a quick trip to town was also a nice bonus.

If you are looking to get away from the crowds and enjoy a relaxing, quiet sanctuary - this is the place to go!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kgrey29
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I recently stayed here and I couldn't be happier with this bed and breakfast. The inn keeper made you feel right at home. The location is very close to downtown and only a 5/10 minute walk. Overall this bed and breakfast was so wonderful and relaxing. Great for the whole family or a romantic weekend. It is such a beautiful place here, that if i ever come back here, the doctors house will be my first choice.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank Contentandpleased
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

We had the most amazing time at this heavenly spot 2 minutes up the hill from downtown Vineyard Haven. The closeness to downtown made life very convenient but you will feel like you are miles away from the hubbub once you are at this charming and gracious mansion on the hill. Jilana and her staff have figured out the perfect balance between warmth and privacy....not an easy task for any B and B. We lazed in the hammock out back by the beautiful gardens. We were treated to gorgeous breakfasts each morning: eggs, bacon, homemade scones, croissant french toast, fresh juices and, my favorite part, a huge plate of fresh fruit. We were left alone to come and go but treated to nicely timed conversations with the host and the housekeeping staff. The door is always open and we felt like we were truly staying with family. A gem of a find!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Henry1178
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The building, rooms, and grounds are quite lovely. HOWEVER, I have stayed at many Bed and Breakfasts all over the world, and have never encountered rude, off-putting owners like this. 99% of B&B owners I have encountered over the years have been warm, engaging and helpful. This was the opposite. No advice, no room cleaning, no fresh towels, no beverage, coffee, tea service anywhere in the building. Totally weird experience.
Unfortunately, we cannot recommend this one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thorncroft Inn
Thorncroft Inn
#2 of 13 in Vineyard Haven
4.5 of 5 stars 66 reviews

Been to The Doctors House B&B of Martha's Vineyard? Share your experiences!