“beautiful campsite” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Martha's Vineyard Family Campground

Martha's Vineyard Family Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vineyard Haven
Martha's Vineyard Family Campground
569 Edgartown _ Vineyard Haven Rd., Box 1557, P.O. Box 1557, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“beautiful campsite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

i only stayed 1 night as i couldnt get into the hostel until the 9th august but wow what a beautiful friendly place and so peaceful ok i should have maybe brought an airbed but flying from england i only had room for a small one man tent but hey it added to the adventure for me as i was travelling alone , the owners were very helpful and let me book in early and let me use the trolley to bring my luggage to my tent site would defo go back again very clean and tidy and you get great wifi too

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

40 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Northampton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is the most I ever paid for a campground. Over $50 a night for a tent site. But what can you do? Its the only place to camp on the Island. Any other accomidation is going to set you back at least three times that. We went in October, and were one of three tent campers in a park with probably at leat 20 times that amount of sites. We enjoyed two very nice quiet nights. I can imagine during the summer, it would be much lounder as the sites are close togeather, at least comparred to most State campground. There are skunks that won't bother you. The bathrooms are clean. At check in it is very clear about the early fire outtage. So if you have a fire, you really have to time your wood placement in order not to go late.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Yarmouth Port, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We looked into hotels and inns for Illumination week in August (busiest week on the island). Most rooms available to accommodate me and my two children ran at least $300 a night...the island is expensive, as most are. We stayed 5 days at the campground in a cabin for what we would have paid for 2 days somewhere else...the price can't be beat! The cabins have a small refrigerator and electricity. There were 2 sets of bunks, one with a double on the bottom. The mattresses were rock hard...next time, I will bring air mattresses. The cabin and site were clean. It was the quietest campground I've ever been to. Granted, our cabin wasn't near the playground. Everything was clean. Outdoor showers and some in the bathrooms. Only one bathroom facility, but it was fine. Camp store was very inexpensive, which was surprising, considering we were on the island. All staff was friendly and very helpful. My kids were too old for the playground, but it was really nice. The sites were sort of crowded, but most family campgrounds are. Our cabin was hot, but I brought a fan, which helped...and also drowned out any outside noise. Skunks were around, but didn't bother anyone. The games in the rec room were mostly broken, but we didnt care..thats not why we were there.There's a bus stop right at the entrance if you want to use the excellent transit service(beats finding parking). We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in, ask for a site away from the store/bathrooms/playground.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dedham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Wow--all of the other 1 star reviews about the condescending, horrible staff were spot on.

We were scheduled to stay in a cabin and check in today. Unfortunately, our flight was canceled with no opportunity to get on another flight. We were heartbroken to say the least. We had been saving up for this trip for a long time and already paid for our site. When we called the front desk to explain the situation and ask what our options were for a refund, we were shocked at the response we received.

My husband was speaking to Sue, and I could overhear her side of the conversation as well as his. As he was trying to explain our predicament, she kept interrupting him and speaking over him without allowing him to even fully explain why he was calling. She said that refunds were handled on a case by case basis, but their policy states that with such a short notice that she wouldn't give us anything besides 25% of the charged rate back. As he was trying to explain that we wanted to come, but this was something completely out of control, she sarcastically replied "what, you're telling me that you can't find another way here?" We explained that our only other alternative would be to drive 2 hours then pay $160 for a ferry, and we don't really have the means to just drop money like that. We asked her to please have some compassion and understanding and try to refund us as much as she could. Her response? "Is the money really THAT important to you?"

I have never, ever come across a situation like this where someone refused to even LISTEN to a paying customer. Her lack of professionalism and immature jabs at our financial situation angered me so much that I told her that it was [--] that she was treating us in this way, and she promptly hung up on me. I know that I shouldn't have used profanity, and I am rarely driven to do so, but this was too much.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

GREAT facility. Bathrooms are clean, large community campfire or you can build your own, there are outdoor showers if you like the elbow room, and there are no dogs or motorcycles, so it is very quiet. This campground is where you would expect to get good sleep, but the sandy sites are ROCK hard to sleep on. My shoulder still aches. You really need some padding and the airmattress I brought did not cut it. You need something a few inches thick or with a lot of give. The ground has NO give whatsoever.

There ARE a lot of skunks. When you hear one by the tent at night, DONT poke your head out!

It's a 5 mile bike ride along a lovely path from the airport, or even closer if you take a boat in. ALL the busses and cabs have bike racks, so if you can't carry your pack on your back that far, use a bus to get there. I definitely reccommend it for saving money while on MV. You can have so much more fun using your money on the lovely lobster rolls or in the souvenier shops. Hotels on the island (particularly on labor day) are $200 or 400 or more, so $52 for a site and a lovely clean bathroom is totally worth it, espcially if you cycle.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Newtown, Connecticut, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Pros:
- Affordable way to see the Vineyard
- Clean raked site
- Playground on site
- Camp store had items you might forget to bring at a very reasonable price
- Friendly staff
- Electricity and water at our site
- Vineyard Haven is walkable, but the other towns and the beach are not

Cons:
- long walk to the restroom
- skunks where everywhere, but very friendly and I was told no one ever gets sprayed
- sand mites or something bit our kids, don't play on the ground

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We always stay here when we bike over and around the island. Nice sites and good quiet time at 10:00pm. The showers are fine and the place is clean. We like that it's on the bike trails so the location is good for us to bike to the beaches and dinners out at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Martha's Vineyard Family Campground? Share your experiences!