“Loved this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Add it.
No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vineyard Haven
Greenwood House
Save Saved
You added Greenwood House to your Saves list
40 Greenwood Ave, Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard, MA 02568   |
Ranked #9 of 14 Vineyard Haven B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Loved this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I don't know why there aren't more reviews of the Greenwood House, but I must put my 2 cents in because I really loved this place.

I stayed here during the week that I attended the Martha's Vineyard Institute for Creative Writing and was lucky enough to find that this B&B was literally right across the street.

Larry is a wonderful host, very welcoming and attentive. He has a wealth of knowledge about the town and happenings and I had a lovely time chatting with him in the mornings during breakfast.

The room I stayed in was at the top of the stairs and it was great, I totally loved it. It was a perfect size for a couple, the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was really great too-- I loved the shower and the water pressure. The room had a much needed a/c and it was lovely and so quiet, we had a tv and a fridge which were nice amenities.

The thing that puts this place over the top is the focus on detail that Larry gives each room and every day, it was a joy to return to find the bed made, bathroom cleaned and fresh towels.

I would highly recommend this place -- in fact, I already have told my dad and his girlfriend they must go to Vineyard Haven and stay at Greenwood House!

(Also-- the location is hugely convenient, just 4 blocks from the main town, I walked with my roller from the ferry-- great stuff!)

Room Tip: I was at the top of the stairs and it was clean and quiet and lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

6 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Fairfield County, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We just completed our 13th visit to the Greenwood House since 2005 and still find it an ideal combination of value, cleanliness, location and comfort. We've become friends with Innkeepers Larry and Kathy and are very appreciative of the subtle ways they make each stay a good one: Very clean rooms with service that always takes place when we've headed out for the day; towels left for our use if we head to the beach (and umbrellas if the weather turns); tips on beaches you'd never find on your own, as well as suggested places to dine. They have an informal style that appeals to us and helps us feel "at home" and not just a customer.
The Greenwood House is a couple of blocks outside of town on a quiet side street, assuring a good night's sleep but still an easy walk to shopping. The rooms have private baths, a/c, cable TV and refrigerators, and the Inn has a great front porch for reading (or dozing).
If you're like us and want an Inn with friendly hosts that offers a clean, comfortable room at an affordable price you should be pleased with your stay at the Greenwood House.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
CT
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

The Greenwood House is decent for its price. However, it's worth the extra few bucks to stay elsewhere. When you enter the house you feel as though you are walking into someone's personal home, especially because the owner greets you in tube socks. Yes, they take off their shoes in the house. I've been to many bed and breakfasts and have never had this feeling before. If you're looking for "homey" this is the place for you to go. The rooms are okay, but the shower was a tub with a shower knozzle so my partner and I had to take turns showering each other to avoid spraying the hand held shower all over the place. Breakfast was okay but they only have it for one hour and the second you go downstairs the owner enters your room and begins to clean up. I felt this was a little invasive and they should have waited to clean until we actually left for the day. We went up to our room and he wasn't done cleaning so it was a bit awkard. And yes, again he was standing there in his socks. It's also a very hands on place. If you ask for something they have you do it yourself. When you call up the owners on the phone located in the living room and ask where to put the towels they don't come down and they make you go outside around back and put them on the porch (even in the rain?). Also with bikes you must store them yourself in the garage. When we stayed at another place nearby for only $25/night more they catered to you by collecting your towels and walking your bikes into their shed. I feel that should be part of the charm of a MV bed and breakfast. And again, another reason why you feel you're a guest in the owner's home, when in reality you're paying them still a pretty penny.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Newport, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

We came to the Vineyard for a special charity event and were looking for a reasonably-priced stay on Martha's Vineyard. We found the Greenwood House and contacted them for room rates. The reservation process was very easy. We had stayed at a different b&b last year, and had the worst vacation experience imaginable. The difference between this place and the place last year is like night versus day. The house is perfectly clean on the inside, and is very comfortable. You feel right at home as soon as you get in. There was a set up storage area for our bikes, which was very convenient. Our room was wonderful. The carpet looked brand new and was extremely clean. The shower was incredible-- heated bathroom, built-in hairdryer, and all the amenities you would expect from an expensive hotel. It literally looked like the bathroom was just built that day and never used by anyone before us. And as an added plus, the owners are very conscious about the environment. Recycling and water conservation are encouraged. We requested the cheapest room available to keep our budget down, and we are very impressed with what we had. There was plenty of space in our room to relax, sit at the desk, etc. The room came with a fridge, cable tv, and wireless internet. The owners go to incredible detail to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need. The only downside we had was that the bed was a little harder than we prefer. Breakfast in the morning was fine. The owners were conscious that everyone staying the night (there were three other guests) was participating in a charity race that day, so the gave us a high-carb, high-protein meal to fill us up. The location is also excellent for those taking the ferry to Vineyard Haven. It's in walking distance to the ferry landing and bus circle. Other than the bed, I wouldn't change a thing. This is the first place we will call if make another trip to the vineyard.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2006

My wife and I just returned from another great weekend at the Greenwood House in Vineyard Haven. We stayed there last summer and enjoyed it very much. This time we brought friends with us. They liked the Greenwood House so much they are talking about returning in September and again with us next July.
Larry and Kathy are the best. Kathy recomended a very good restaurant about a 10 minute walk from the Greenwood and gave us the phone number and the name of her favorite waiter.
They recommended a couple of very nice beaches that we visited and they even let us use their beach towels and offered to let us use their beach chairs. Breakfast both mornings was very good.
We had the same room as last summer and everything was perfect again. Our friends had a room on the 1st floor that was also very nice.
Next summer we hope to return to the Greenwood House for a longer stay.

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — stay was too short
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask the owners for beach and restaurant recommendations.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2005

I stayed for one night at the Greenwood House in Martha’s Vineyard. On the positive side, I can say that the room was very clean. The location is not really what they claimed, it’s a good six block walk from Vineyard Haven but I wouldn’t have minded that if the hosts had been gracious. I went out to get coffee at 10:15 because they only serve breakfast from 8:30 to 9:30 and do not even have a coffee station set up for guests to help themselves. Also the breakfast they serve is mediocre at best, it was literally raisin bran and some semi-stale banana bread. The other guests who were at the table with me had literally brought their own granola with them to eat at breakfast. I don’t mind roughing it but when a place claims to have breakfast, I expect a little more effort… When I returned at 10:30, my bags were sitting by the front door. I asked if I could go upstairs to make sure all my belongings had been removed from the room and was told by Larry that he had already checked it. Its extremely disorienting to have someone else move your bags. What annoyed me the most was that I had been told that check out was 11 am and I was very careful to return at 10:30 to be sure to be out of the room on time. Larry made me so uncomfortable that I did not even want to sit in the living room which is trite but clean.

• Stayed August 2005
, owner at Greenwood House, responded to this review, December 30, 2005
Wow, what a surprise to read about our guest from Washington, D.C. having such a terrible one night stay at Greenwood House bed and breakfast.

We sincerely apologize for their disagreeable one night stay. I reviewed our records and found a guest in September 2005 from Washington, D.C. and they stayed 3 nights, plus cancelled one night, at no charge. Is this the same guest??? Or, are you the guest who stayed late August 2005 from Falls Church, VA??

If this guest reads this response, we gladly offer them a free 2 night stay to show them they are wrong on our hospitality.

We also keep records of what is served for breakfast. Each day is something different. This guest just hit the cereal and "stale" bread day. Other days are french toast (as written by another guest to this site), crepes, pancakes, quiche, waffles, and many other items. We have 14 different breakfasts, so as not to repeat for longer stays.

Check-out time is printed everywhere as 10:00 am, not 11:00 am. If possible, we can allow late check-out provided the room is not being used that day, and we are a non-smoking bed and breakfast. Both guests above were smokers.

We apologize for moving their bags.

We have been in business for 12 years and have served well of 10,000 guests. Feedback should be provided, at least as a courtesy to the innkeeper and probably not on the internet, as we all have our own opinions as to what is good and bad. Some people are high maintenance, some are not.

Our reputation of averaging about 15% returns, every year, far out weighs on individuals concerns. We all have bad days. This doesn't gloss over the fact this guest had a problem.

Given equal chance and response, we again offer this guest to call and identify themselves and we will provide them with a free 2 night stay.

Larry Gomez
owner/innkeeper
Greenwood House bed and breakfast

Been to Greenwood House? Share your experiences!