“Worse home fries I have ever tasted” 1 of 5 stars

7 Avenue A, Turners Falls, MA 01376-1104
413-863-9636
Improve this listing
Putney, Vermont
“Worse home fries I have ever tasted”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

I ordered sscrambled eggs noticed that they charge 1.00 extra for home fries. I love home fries so much I said why not. I must say I never understand why restaurants do this. While i was waiting for the food i noticed the cook had no gloves on ( open kitchen)) was picking his finger nails touching his face gross or whatThere was enough home fries on that plate to feed mouse. black no seasoning tasteless looked like they have been around for days. The bill came to 10.00$$ the server was very nice and took it off the bill. I was so hungry when I left went to cumbys and bought huge coffee roll. Never will go back nothing like the old glen

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Gill, Massachusetts
“One of my favorite diners”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

When you walk into the shady Glen you get an upbeat vibe by the nice music and mellow colors accommodated by the happy people and laughter all around. You can choose from bar stools to sit or a nice booth all which are near a window for a nice outside few if desired.. The owner usually wearing his "bossman" shirt is very upbeat and lively and always willing to conversate with his guests.

Ordering: the waitress on duty every time I've been here helps you right away the menu is very simple and yet very delicious.. and don't worry about the typical nasty diner coffee.. the coffee here seems to be fresh every time and actually quite tasty.. today I ordered the breakfast burrito and corn beef hash... made to order in ten minutes! And delivered by the chef on duty himself.. The corn beef hash is never too salty like some places are.. and the breakfast burrito was the perfect filling fresh combination of a filling tasty breakfast.

I highly recommend this place to people visiting the village of turners falls, or even locals.. I know now to make this my regular Sunday stop since I'm new to The area.

pluses: nice music, nice staff, fresh food, bar stool option or bench options, coffee is delicious , you can watch the chef cook.

No rest rooms. But it's a small place I don't blame them:)

South Dartmouth, Massachusetts
“Updates needed badly”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

When we pulled up we thought it was closed. Very run down. The orange awning is falling down. Front door not welcoming at all. They did have "open" neon signs though so took our chances. "Shady" Glen .... the atmosphere fits it's name. Service was warm and friendly though. Food choices are all over the place. Typical diner to oriental choices. Wine menu too which I thought odd for s diner. The new owner really needs to do some updating.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
“Good food, Good service, Low cost.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have been going to Shady Glen for breakfast on weekends for over 30 years. In the early days John always provided a good old style meal at a very reasonable price. However over the years the old place was starting to show the passage of time. The booths were getting a little more dowdy, the walls a little more drab, and the whole place was starting to look its age. Although the diner changed hands a few times since, the new owners did not make any fundamental changes, until now. This new owner is slowly bringing the old diner into the twenty first century. Not only has he modernized the decor he has updated the food, and expanded hours to include dinner. However the improvements have not changed the character of the place, the old pictures are still on the wall, the cook is still at the grill behind the counter, and the food is good and still very reasonability priced. Although I have not been there for any other meal than breakfast ( but soon will be) it is my understanding that things like the roast beef Cesar wrap and other goodies are a hit. What more could you want in a diner, good food, good service, low cost.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“My impression ONLY”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Shady Glen is under new ownership, and it just doesn't have the old coffee shop feel it had before. The food was okay, diner food, nothing to write home about. What irked me, though probably none of my business, was how the new owner is ALWAYS on his comlap at the counter puter while the young girls who work there are busting b*tt waitressing, mopping floors, cleaning, etc. I mean c'mon....it's February, maybe close up the laptop and go take the Christmas greenery out of the windowboxes? :)

Something just isn't the same with this place anymore....

Visited February 2013