“Bad Business!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of White Village Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Truro
White Village Cottages
You added White Village Cottages to your Saves list
345 Shore Road, PO Box 191, Truro, MA 02657   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Truro
Massachusetts
“Bad Business!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband had made our reservation a week and a half before and was told they took no deposit but we needed to call the night before to confirm we were still coming. My husband called and talked to Maria to confirm our TWO night stay during the end of carnival week. If you know about carnival week, there are few if any vacancies on the Cape. We got out of work on a Friday and rushed to get to our very cherished weekend getaway in Truro. We live 3 1/2 hours away so it was hectic!
We arrive at 7:30 PM! Finally we're here! I was shocked and stunned when my husband came back to our car to let me know the room was given away! Who in their right mind would run a business like that? I immediately called Maria to let her know how upset and just really to hear for myself that our hut was really given away! Maria basically told me sorry we were too late! She told me she left messages (at 4 and 6!!) to see if we were still coming. When I asked her if she told my husband a certain time we should be there by she said "no" and she said "I can do this because I don't take deposits!" At no time did she offer anything, not anything! This is just bad business and I am still shocked and stunned that she can still be in business if she runs it that way. We did end up finding a place, but for $200 more than we had planned....thanks Maria......

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Blainville, Quebec
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

I have been there many, many times over the past 20 years. This place has maintained the rustic charm, great location and reasonable rates. Located directly on the water (bay side) there is a shared terrace and massive breakwall in front of each cottage that is literally 10 feet from the water (high tide). You fall asleep and wake up to the sound of the waves!

Close to Provincetown (about 5km). Actually located in North Truro right on the water. Beautiful and vacant ocean beach access directly across the 6.

Furnishings are sparse but functional. Basic kitchen with all you need for most meals. Fridges and gas stoves are new in many of the housekeeping units. No phones, no TVs to interfere with forced relaxation. Bathrooms have also been redone recently in many units. Not a lot of storage space - pack light and use the plentiful nails in the walls to hang stuff.

All units are super clean when you arrive. How it stays over your time is up to you as there is no daily maid service. Towels, etc. are plentiful and easily changed across the street at the office. Owners are very pleasant and helpful. Owners have been there a long time and are very committed to the property and your comfort - if you need anything just ask them. I have borrowed corkscrews, lobster tools, etc. over the years.

Make sure to bring your bike, shoes, skates or whatever to enjoy the bike/walking trail on the dunes in Provincetown. Make aure you leave time to shop and explore in Provincetown. Rainy days are great to explore the 6A and route 28. Discover new beaches - directly across the 6 is a road that takes you to the parking at the other end of the 2 mile bike trail from Head of the Meadow. Park there and walk along the 4X4 access road and over the dunes to the most amazing and deserted beach you can hope for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

It's funny I can't explain how excited I get each year as I look forward to going here. My parents have been going here for years, every year and the same week. So naturally I started tagging along and reserving my own unit every year now with my family. My parents called me when they got home after the first time they stayed here and told me how relaxed it was here and that there was No PHONES, No TV's and very rustic! I said that sounds like heaven and if you know me i'm a girly girl! Love pink and love to stay in the best hotels...but this place just makes me feel like a million dollars. So I went here the following year with them and have been going for like 5 years now. Of course you can bring laptops and cellphones but that's not the point of a vacation. Being here and waking up to the sounds of waves crashing and just the fact the beach is just steps away is wonderful. Nothing like enjoying a margarita and watching the ocean. My husband loves it here too, it's so nice to kick back and watch him fish. My teenage son loves coming here, we throw the ball around or he plays chess with my father. So every year I look forward to going hanging with my family and it's so cool because other families have been going there the same week also for years and enjoying this piece of paradise just as much as we do....So if you want a place you can really relax stay here and leave all the toys behind and get to really know your family again and share some laughs together. It's a such a great feeling to be so relaxed and to have such a wonderful time. Just think to yourself...When is the last time you flew a kite? Built a sandcastle? Put the cellphone away? Enjoyed a sunset?

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Saratoga Springs, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

We stayed for 2 nights over Columbus day weekend in a cottage that had a small kitchen, one bedroom with a double bed, bathroom and a single bed in the hall opposite the bathroom. The space was clean and we had a large window above our kitchen table (for three) with an excellent view of the water and provincetown on the otherside. Nice sunset. We enjoyed the ocean view inthe morning, evening and night, but the cottage served mainly as a place to sleep. We did not access the beach. (There is a large retaining wall and the cottages share patio space on one side. Access to the beach is down a flight of stairs). Two big red adirondack style chairs are there for each rental. Dishwshing liquid, pots, pans and some dishes (for 3 are provided.)
The negatives: The cottage interior has is a bit "worn". The linoelum and tiles have been patched in when needed. The window shades are tattered on the edge.
However--you cannot beat the price! This would be great for a family on a budget. Owner is friendly. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

This place was AWESOME! I really couldn't have asked for a better place to be on the Cape! I have always wanted to stay here over the years but it was always booked when I called.So this year I tryed really early and got in.What a great place to be. Every morning we would wake up and walk out to a window looking out on the ocean and a veiw of the bay.It was amazing to sit out every morning with your coffee looking at the water and listening to the ocean.My son played on the beach all day.This is where I want to be every year and I booked again for the next year too.If your looking for fancy and room service this ISN'T for you but if you want a relaxing vacation this is it! Can't wait to go back!!!!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
mountains
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2009

This review is for privately owned unit 12 s of white village condos. My Mom and I wanted to have a nice long weekend away. I traveled from Colorado and we were both excited to spend some time together on the cape. Upon arrival to unit 12s there were boxes of windows laying around the deck and things appeared to be in a state of construction. I thought perhaps the owner forgot we were coming..... We made our way inside to see dead bugs all over the floor, some kind of black dirt/ grease all over, and a dirty couch. The bed linens and pillows were filled with mold, the curtians were covered with mold. We called the owner to see if he remebered we were coming. He said "yes, the place was spotless when I left." After much thought we decided we would try to spend one night. We borrowed a vacuum from a neighbor and cleaned up as best we could. We went to make the beds and found pubic hairs all over the front bedrooms mattress cover and urine on the back bedroms mattress. Needless to say we slept in the bed together without the urine! After a horrible nights rest, we woke up in morning to find more dead bugs in the tea pot. We decided we would not be spending another night. I called the owner to let him know the place was filthy and we would be leaving. He told me he would be happy to return all of our money. Two months later he has not returned any of our money. I have rented many cottages over the years. I know what to expect, but this place... YUCK!

• Stayed May 2009
york, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2008

White Village is another of the rustic, bayfront cottage colonies along Route 6A and Cape Cod Bay in North Truro, a few miles south of Provincetown. They're the red-shuttered white cottages you see in pictures. Like the other cottage colonies, they're bare-bones -- no TVs, radios, etc -- with basic kitchenettes, wood-paneled interiors, hooks on the walls and very basic bathrooms. You have to go get new towels etc. each day at the village laundry. But they have big bay windows overlooking the water and that makes everything worthwhile. Plus the family that runs the village is very nice. If you want to be pampered at a resort, this is not for you. But if you want the water and the wind and a place to put your grill, it's wonderful! And if you get bored, P-town's either a short drive or a short shuttle-bus ride away.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Sand is everywhere, always
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to White Village Cottages? Share your experiences!