“Dishonest policy by hotel chain” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Tewksbury
Bowdoin, Maine
“Dishonest policy by hotel chain”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

The hotel is located in an industrial cul de sac. All the buildings look the same. There is nothing that makes the Holiday Inn stand out as it looks like all the other brick buildings. I checked in late afternoon on a Friday the 24th.The hotel has NO ONE to help you with your baggage. The gentleman who checked me in had no personality and was irritated with me as I had trouble finding my AARP card. He wanted my credit card but I told him I was paying cash. Having that done he gave me my key folder with my room number and sent me on my way. It was a nice room but I could hear a dog barking. The ballroom was nice. They offered appetizers. I met one of the sweatest waitresses. Holiday Inn is very lucky to have her. Lovely lady. In the morning as I was checking out I asked the clerk at the desk if my bill was settled and was ASSURED it was. To my surprise on Jan 27th I checked my debit card on line to find a charge of $25.00 from the Holiday Inn with a date of 1/28/14. I called the hotel to inquire as I had paid cash. I was told it is called an "incidental" charge and would be credited back in 3-4 days. Evidently this is a policy of the IHG properties. Not once was I informed of this charge. NOT WHEN I CHECKED IN, NOT WHEN I CHECKED OUT. I consider it dishonest, deceitful and illegal. How many quests are charged this 'incidental' fee and never question it? They just pay it.There was no disclosure posted anywhere at the desk. I sent a complaint to the Massachesett's AG office. This type of policy must be illegal. I did not give them permission to charge my account. Smacks of fraud. I would have given the hotel a higher score had it not been for the dishonesty.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask if there will be any hidden charges. I will not be staying at another Holiday Inn...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
TwinTier, Area Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear NanaP155,

Thank you for your feedback – we take all we receive extremely seriously and have already begun the follow up on yours. Our award winning hotel in located in an office park which provides a convenient access to both business and leisure travelers. Based on your comments it seems you missed the illuminated signage that welcomes visitors to the office park and another as an entrance to our driveway. Our front office manager will be following up the communication you shared at the front desk upon check in – we apologize it did not meet with your expectation. Our policy regarding incidental charges are quite simple – when a guest is paying cash we simply request a $25 ‘deposit’ which is fully refundable. The purpose of this deposit is to provide guests usage of all the wonderful amenities of our hotel (restaurant, pub, room service, phone services, etc.). Of course without requesting such a charge guests may forget to pay those accumulated charges before departing our hotel and then, well… the charges would remain unpaid. Please call us directly and we can further discuss this policy with you – feel free to ask for the general manager or Director of sales and Marketing….both, along with our entire team of professionals are eager to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tewksbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

Have stayed here many times and always appreciated the free breakfast provided to platinum members. Very disappointing to learn that it is no longer provided. I will find one elsewhere next time. Everything else is just average here.

• Stayed January 2014
Dear srvvv,

We appreciate your feedback – thank you for sharing. As a brand, like many hotel chains, the complimentary breakfast has been eliminated because so many travelers would rather have more preferred rates than breakfast and by eliminating the breakfast component in Platinum Club benefits it allow us to offer you more valued rates. Of course, we still have our amazing breakfast buffet available to you if you choose to enjoy it….and the good news is that the money you’ve saved with your new discounted room rate will allow you to enjoy breakfast and still be less that you paid before. We hope you’ll join us soon – especially since you are just up the road from us in Tewksbury.
Dracut, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

My Husband and I recently spent a night at the Holiday Inn in Tewksbury, MA over the Christmas Holidays (2013) and from the minute we met Dave Mellory (Front Desk Manager) and he set up our reservation until we left we couldn’t have been any happier with our accommodations and the rest of the Front Desk People we got to know while we were there like Debbie Larocque (Supervisor), Maddie, Laura, and Michele (sp ?) every one of them were so nice and always answered any questions we might have had. We were there only one night from Dec. 25th and checked out on Dec. 26, 2013 (to be with friends and family). Our room was very nice and the Lobby was decorated for the holidays and was so pretty that we sat by the fireplace, talked a little about our day and just relaxed and enjoyed the atmosphere.
We would absolutely stay here again in the future.
Ruth and David

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruth and David,

It was wonderful to be yo9ur hosts recently and appreciate the feedback you provided during yo0ur stay. Our hotel is a wonderful place to relax during the holiday season and you certainly experienced that last month. Much of our spirit comes from the team members that devote themselves to making a “stay” a “memorable experience”. The professionals you’ve mentioned are some of our finest and we are honored to have them on our team. We look forward to your next visit and hope that it’ll be well before next holiday season. Until then, have a wonderful winter ahead.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

No complaints about this place, very nice rooms, fantastic comfortable bed, very clean and reliable wifi. Paid Priceline rate so may have been less impressed if I paid full price. Would definitely return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Somegirl,

We are very happy you enjoyed your accommodations with us and found our rooms, beds, and wifi to your liking. Indeed you received a wonderful rate with Priceline (a happily preferred partner of ours). We trust you saw the value in what you received and look forward to ma future visit soon.
Rockland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

I stayed here a few years ago when they were in the process of renovating which was sorely needed at the time. They've finished. Staff very friendly, room good, just what I expected from a Holiday Inn.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Maureen4664,

Thank you for your recent review – we appreciated hearing from you and are thrilled you acknowledged our impressive renovation. We completed it with upgrades and enhancements to all 227 guest rooms and much of our public spaces. We look forward to you visiting with us again soon. Until then, stay warm this winter!
Worcester, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Stayed one night prior to a business meeting. The hotel looked like the typical Holiday Inn from the outside. It was clear it was an older-style hotel, though it had been recently renovated. The place was practically empty – just a handful of cars in the parking lot. Check-in was pretty typical and straight forward. While the staff did thank me for being a Platinum Rewards Club Member, she didn’t offer – or simply provide – a room upgrade. It’s pretty standard to always get an upgrade as a Platinum Member, particularly when the hotel is nearly empty.

I was assigned a room on the 5th Floor. Walking by the dining outlets and bar in the hotel, they were completely empty – like a ghost town! I found my room to be – no kidding or exaggeration – DIRECTLY off the elevator and DIRECTLY across from the ICE MACHINE and VENDING MACHINE. So, not only was I not offered an upgrade (which the hotel clearly had available) but they put a Platinum Elite guest DIRECTLY across from the elevator and ice machine! In a completely empty hotel! The noise was horrible, I particularly enjoyed the excessive noise when the guest would fill the ice bucket and decide they didn’t want that ice and dump it out into the metal drain in the machine.

The room itself was recently renovated. Very typical of most old-style Holiday Inn Hotels. There was a problem I have never seen before... the executive desk is near the entry to the room but there is NO phone on or near the desk, the only phone was across the room near the bed. Makes it very difficult to work unless you want to use your cell phone for everything.

The hotel appeared clean but the condition of the room was not acceptable. The curtains had clearly visible holes/were torn (see the attached picture.) The ice bucket was something from a “Motel 6” – truly ridiculous. A tiny plastic, thin bucket with NO ice bucket liner. It looked cheap, it felt cheap, it was cheap. It felt very unclean and very dirty. It was made so much better by the wrapped-plastic cups next to it on a plastic tray. The coffee supplies were ridiculous; again, they just oozed “cheap.” The bed linens had BURN HOLES in them from someone clearly smoking in the room. I am not a smoker. The hotel room was a non-smoking room. The room did not smell like smoke, so it tells me the linens were burned a while ago in another room and never taken out of service as they should have been.

It seems like a typical Holiday Inn Hotel near a major interstate from the outside... they made a great effort to renovate the hotel... but the quality just isn’t Holiday Inn at all. It doesn’t help to have a re-done room if the linens and supplies are not up to the Holiday Inn standard. And, as for the staff, while they were not rude they really need to be re-trained about how a Platinum Elite guest should be checked-in. They should be upgraded, especially when the hotel is nearly empty! And they should never get a room across from the elevator and ice machine. It may seem trivial and petty, and I would agree if the hotel was busy, but it isn’t trivial or petty when the hotel is almost empty and they have many many choices for rooms – the ones near the elevator should be the last to be used.

Don’t stay at this hotel; it’s not what the “new” Holiday Inn should be. You could stay at some of the other local, nearby nationally branded hotels and get a better stay. A stay without burned linens or rubbish ice buckets. I don’t think I would visit this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Dear Fly_away_11,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. We are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Booked Hotel from home and when we arrived we were greeted with one of the nicest and informative desk clerks that I have met in Years .Laura Clements, she had a great smile ,made us feel so at home even though the place was booked with kids for hockey games. The children were children, however not disturbing the guest, at least we never felt they did. The Hotel didn't have the complimentary breakfast that we are used too. I found it a bit pricy for what they did have for breakfast . 11.00 was a lot. across the street a great breakfast for under ten dollars and a bit further at I Hop also around ten. The Hotel was clean classy and very beautiful..We didn't care much for the rugs because of alergies The Hotel is beautiful nicely decorated nice Lobby My advice to you would be check out just what is important to you price of meals for quality, because there in the U.S.A they have some great places to eat. .For me I like to stay where they have a complimentary breakfast and most of the Holiday Inns that I have stayed at are fantastic.
I must mention they did have the hot tub and swimming pool .I had planned on using but because of so many at the hotel at the time I didn't bother to even go.

Room Tip: I think any side would be great we were in front and only heard the motors of running busses and it...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
TwinTier, Area Director of Sales and Marketing at Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear nannamy,

Thank you so much for your recent visit to our hotel. We have passed your complimentary comments onto Laura and she remembers you! As special as she made you feel you also provided her with a memory as well. We are glad you took notice of our renovation…we are thrilled to be able to provide the finest accommodations to our guests at a value that can’t be beat. Our full American hot breakfast buffet is indeed a value at $11.00. We have fresh eggs, make your own waffle station, breakfast meats, home fries, pancakes/French toast, fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, hot beverages, cold milks and juices. Hope you’ll join us for breakfast next time you’re in town. Until then, have a wonderful holiday season.

Been to Holiday Inn Tewksbury Andover? Share your experiences!