“It was great to make an ordinary business trip extraordinary!” 5 of 5 stars

Inn On The Horse Farm
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   277 Old Sudbury Rd, Sudbury, MA 01776   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Sudbury B&B and Inns
New York, NY
“It was great to make an ordinary business trip extraordinary!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Inn is terrific! You really feel like you are a million miles away from everything but in reality you are so close to town. The rooms are great and the hosts even more so. I really enjoyed just being on the property and after my business meeting, watching the day go by...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

19 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Droitwich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012 via mobile

We travel a lot in the States staying at B&B's to get great rooms at great locations and good breakfasts. The Inn is just outside Sudbury and looks lovely as you approach it with beautiful grounds.

The house itself has seen better days and needs to be updated as its tired and over furnished and dark with the parlour blinds pulled to even in the day. Our room Bint Sahara was top floor with a shared bathroom on the floor below!

The bathroom was narrow and really poor needing total redecoration. The shower was tiny and dark with the toilet right in front. Weird. The room was dark and cluttered with 2 small double beds so we ended up sleeping in separate beds. The electrics were dodgy causing the lamp to flicker when you plugged anything else in and the hair dryer kept tripping the mains out. Also no mirror in the room much to my wife's displeasure.

Something set off my allergic reaction and gave me sinusitis for my entire holiday. Maybe it was a cat, could have been dust. The carpets leading up to the room were in need of a good clean.

The breakfasts were mixed. Some days good, on one morning it was what was left in the cupboard being 2 crusts of bread and an egg - not what you expect from B&B's. At least the hens laid fresh eggs, though more room to range in the 9 acres would have been good (spoken as hen keepers ourselves).

Regarding the hosts they were both friendly and Joan made great jam for our crusts and bagels. It felt like they were secretly retired and not really running a B&B to the standards expected by visitors.

I've read that others have enjoyed their stay and I'm really sorry to have to leave such a poor review but maybe this will help the owners to improve the place and make it reach it's full potential.

In any case, after 4 days into our 8 day holiday we quit and went elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012
Milford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Hosted by a charming couple and helpful staff this weekend was so relaxing. To wake up to sound of rooster crowing and the horse whinnying back and forth to each other brought back great memories. The Beers provide a wonderful breakfast with homemade jams and jellies, eggs fresh from the hen house and home grown produce. I liked that they didn't try to push the full breakfast on you... the second day I just wanted a muffin and that was fine. Easy access, close to historical Concord and Lexington and Framingham malls if that's your thing.

Room Tip: We had the "Orlandra" suite.... large balcony through French doors, large bath with two pe...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fairhaven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Had a great stay at the inn on horse farm. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was roomy and cozy.. Used the jacuzi and the fireplace as it was a chilly weekend. Joan and Rick were great very friendly but left us to enjoy our weekend and always present and helpful just when we needed them.. The breakfasts were great, my husband and I both have dietary restrictions and joan was a great cook and we loved it on both days. The grounds and animals were great, as an allergy sufferer I had no problems at house as the animals are mainly outside and the inside dogs were also great and the Rick made sure they did not bother me. We hope to return soon...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Three glorious days and nights last week at this most beautiful and peaceful place. The setting, the hospitality and the amazing English breakfasts were just wonderful! I cannot say enough about the Innkeepers, Joan and Rick. They are so, so gracious and accommodating!! Lovely people! The Inn and the grounds are gorgeous. I look forward to my next visit to this place of beauty!!! It is, by far, the most exquisite B&B I've ever stayed at over my many years!

Room Tip: I clicked on the swimming pool in error. there is no swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We just spent our second stay at the Inn. We got married here a few years ago (excellent place for a wedding, by the way!), and everything was so great then that we decided to come back for our anniversary this year. The innkeepers couldn't be nicer, and the room we stayed in (Orlandra) had THE most comfortable bed ever! True, there was a bit of peeling wallpaper and the toiletries could use a significant upgrade, but if you're going to an inn in the country, you're not going for a "slick" experience. The antiques are pretty and the owners' love of horses in apparent around every corner.

The grounds are beautiful and peaceful, and in autumn the location can't be beat. Just up the road is the lovely Wayside mill and Martha Mary Chapel, and there are some good restaurants in the area, particularly Bullfinches.

We had a fabulous English breakfast with good coffee and eggs from the inn's chickens and homemade plum jam. I don't really understand what some of the other reviewers were talking about regarding the food - we enjoyed it on both our stays.

This is a terrific choice for anyone looking for a low-key, gracious, peaceful retreat in the countryside and doesn't mind if everything isn't shiny and brand spankin' new.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New Haven
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Upon arriving, it appeared to be a wonderful B&B from the long driveway leading to the house. We were greeted with a note to make ourselves at home as the owners had stepped out. We gathered the keys and headed up to our room which was just as described on the website so no complaints there, other than the noisy air conditioner which was only a problem later when I kept awaking to the loud noises it made when automatically switching on and off. I'm a light sleeper, so light sleepers beware...

We took a walk around the property and were greeted as the website suggested by horses, hens, a righteous rooster, several ducks and a friendly cat name Tiffany. We enjoyed feeding the horses apples and pears from the fruit trees on the property. Things needed some tiddying up but it's a large property so I didn't pay too much attention. We enjoyed sitting on the tree swing and listening to the animals talk while enjoying the breeze.

About an hour after we arrived, a car pulled up but the women who got out neither greeted us or seemed to even care we were there. It wasn't until we were sitting on the porch about 30 minutes later that the owners daughter greeted us and sat down for a few minutes. She had two of the dogs with her who were very friendly. She chatted with us about breakfast, boasting how her mother would be making a big, traditional English breakfast so we were looking forward to that. Her parents were on their way home from a vacation which explained why no one greeted us on our arrival and why the place needed some cleaning.

I have to say that the property is beautiful and the house is full of history which is always fun to investigate, at least for me. The bathroom we used however, was a shared bathroom and the toilet and tiny shower were up on a platform behind the door. Because I am short, I had to literally slide off the toilet because there is no room on the platform to stand which was awkward to say the least. There is no light in the shower so it's very dark...you definitely will be challenged taking a shower at night. We managed but I definitely would choose to stay in a room with a private bathroom if you mind those conditions.

The breakfast the next morning was a huge disappointment. We were served cheese omelets and over-toasted bagels w/cream cheese. I'm a cheese snob and don't care for American cheese since it's completely processed...that's what we were served so I was very unhappy. Apparently the big English breakfast is something they only do when they are up to it, I'm not sure, but it's a Bed AND Breakfast so we were expecting MUCH MORE quality as well as quantity. No fruit, no bacon or sausage...and I noticed that the other couple who ate shortly after we did were given more of a variety so I was also unhappy with that as well. =(

I was saddened actually because the property is magnificent and it was clear to me from reading the guest book that many others had enjoyed a wonderful stay. I'm not sure if it was because they had just come back from vacation and weren't prepared or that they just aren't doing what they once did for their guests. I certainly didn't feel that we were treated as well others have been in the past.

Room Tip: Book off priceline
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn On The Horse Farm? Share your experiences!