“Great romantic getaway...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Sudbury B&B and Inns
Fairhaven
“Great romantic getaway...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Had a great stay at the inn on horse farm. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was roomy and cozy.. Used the jacuzi and the fireplace as it was a chilly weekend. Joan and Rick were great very friendly but left us to enjoy our weekend and always present and helpful just when we needed them.. The breakfasts were great, my husband and I both have dietary restrictions and joan was a great cook and we loved it on both days. The grounds and animals were great, as an allergy sufferer I had no problems at house as the animals are mainly outside and the inside dogs were also great and the Rick made sure they did not bother me. We hope to return soon...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Three glorious days and nights last week at this most beautiful and peaceful place. The setting, the hospitality and the amazing English breakfasts were just wonderful! I cannot say enough about the Innkeepers, Joan and Rick. They are so, so gracious and accommodating!! Lovely people! The Inn and the grounds are gorgeous. I look forward to my next visit to this place of beauty!!! It is, by far, the most exquisite B&B I've ever stayed at over my many years!

Room Tip: I clicked on the swimming pool in error. there is no swimming pool.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We just spent our second stay at the Inn. We got married here a few years ago (excellent place for a wedding, by the way!), and everything was so great then that we decided to come back for our anniversary this year. The innkeepers couldn't be nicer, and the room we stayed in (Orlandra) had THE most comfortable bed ever! True, there was a bit of peeling wallpaper and the toiletries could use a significant upgrade, but if you're going to an inn in the country, you're not going for a "slick" experience. The antiques are pretty and the owners' love of horses in apparent around every corner.

The grounds are beautiful and peaceful, and in autumn the location can't be beat. Just up the road is the lovely Wayside mill and Martha Mary Chapel, and there are some good restaurants in the area, particularly Bullfinches.

We had a fabulous English breakfast with good coffee and eggs from the inn's chickens and homemade plum jam. I don't really understand what some of the other reviewers were talking about regarding the food - we enjoyed it on both our stays.

This is a terrific choice for anyone looking for a low-key, gracious, peaceful retreat in the countryside and doesn't mind if everything isn't shiny and brand spankin' new.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New Haven
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Upon arriving, it appeared to be a wonderful B&B from the long driveway leading to the house. We were greeted with a note to make ourselves at home as the owners had stepped out. We gathered the keys and headed up to our room which was just as described on the website so no complaints there, other than the noisy air conditioner which was only a problem later when I kept awaking to the loud noises it made when automatically switching on and off. I'm a light sleeper, so light sleepers beware...

We took a walk around the property and were greeted as the website suggested by horses, hens, a righteous rooster, several ducks and a friendly cat name Tiffany. We enjoyed feeding the horses apples and pears from the fruit trees on the property. Things needed some tiddying up but it's a large property so I didn't pay too much attention. We enjoyed sitting on the tree swing and listening to the animals talk while enjoying the breeze.

About an hour after we arrived, a car pulled up but the women who got out neither greeted us or seemed to even care we were there. It wasn't until we were sitting on the porch about 30 minutes later that the owners daughter greeted us and sat down for a few minutes. She had two of the dogs with her who were very friendly. She chatted with us about breakfast, boasting how her mother would be making a big, traditional English breakfast so we were looking forward to that. Her parents were on their way home from a vacation which explained why no one greeted us on our arrival and why the place needed some cleaning.

I have to say that the property is beautiful and the house is full of history which is always fun to investigate, at least for me. The bathroom we used however, was a shared bathroom and the toilet and tiny shower were up on a platform behind the door. Because I am short, I had to literally slide off the toilet because there is no room on the platform to stand which was awkward to say the least. There is no light in the shower so it's very dark...you definitely will be challenged taking a shower at night. We managed but I definitely would choose to stay in a room with a private bathroom if you mind those conditions.

The breakfast the next morning was a huge disappointment. We were served cheese omelets and over-toasted bagels w/cream cheese. I'm a cheese snob and don't care for American cheese since it's completely processed...that's what we were served so I was very unhappy. Apparently the big English breakfast is something they only do when they are up to it, I'm not sure, but it's a Bed AND Breakfast so we were expecting MUCH MORE quality as well as quantity. No fruit, no bacon or sausage...and I noticed that the other couple who ate shortly after we did were given more of a variety so I was also unhappy with that as well. =(

I was saddened actually because the property is magnificent and it was clear to me from reading the guest book that many others had enjoyed a wonderful stay. I'm not sure if it was because they had just come back from vacation and weren't prepared or that they just aren't doing what they once did for their guests. I certainly didn't feel that we were treated as well others have been in the past.

Room Tip: Book off priceline
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

My stay here was good but ....
I chose the cheapest room to save money so I can't complain about how small the room was. But since the room really was big enough for one person only, it would have been better to have a single bed rather than the double so it wasn't so cramped. I couldn't move without having to step over my luggage.
Because I was in the cheapest room I also had a shared bathroom. This was not a problem at all.

Apparently locks had recently been changed and/or new keys cut. The room key I was given didn't work so I was given the master which made the hostess pretty anxious for the duration of my stay.
I was staying there to attend family celebrations and got back late one night and the front door was locked. The front door key wouldn't work. Luckily I had a family sofa to go back to for that night. I said what had happened and some WD40 or other attention was given to the lock and after that it was fine. But I don't know what I'd have done if I hadn't had somewhere else to go. It was cold and wet which would have made sleeping in my car pretty unpleasant.

Breakfast was fine, freshly cooked after you arrived in the dining room and I was happy with what I was given. But there wasn't choice as such, more what was offered each morning. Perhaps if I'd asked for something specific it would have been provided.

Wi-fi was included in the price. There being no desk in my room I used the one in the living room which was a huge pleasant space. I would have had to go to this room anyway to recharge batteries for computer, camera, phone, etc because I couldn't do that in my room. My room had old-style two socket electrical plugs whereas my adaptor plug had three prongs so it couldn't be used.

In spite of the negatives above I would stay here again. Next time I'm sure the key problem wouldn't happen and I'd pay for a bigger room. I've already suggested other family members consider this accommodation for future visits.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Wetaskiwin, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2010

I visited MA as a personal retreat and was so happy to have found The Inn on The Horse Farm. I was lucky enough to be able to stay in the cottage on the back of the property. Yes the building was older and in need of some TLC, but it was definatly perfect for me, an entire cottage to myself with a kitchen and my own private deck. Horses, geese, chickens and a very friendly cat to greet me in the mornings. Spent lots of time soaking up that awesome MA sun and listening to tunes on the back deck. Again this was just a personal retreat in which i wasnt going sightseeing. Awesome walks everynight to look at the New England homes and even found the most awesome Rock Chapel hidden away in the trees, definatly worth getting up Sunday morning for that service!!!!
never did make it in for breakfast but the hosts were very accomadating to my desire to just "veg" out for the week!!!! I LOVED IT HERE, but again, I stayed in the little cottage, which was in need of some TLC, Would I stay again??? MOST DEFINATLY CANT WAIT!!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

I have stayed in many B&B's, but this is the first time I have taken a minute to write a review. I do so because this was EXACTLY what a stay in a B&B should be. The house is spacious ,well sound proofed, and comfortable. The grounds are picturesque, and one is invited to walk them-and offered carrots to feed the horses along the way. Being allergic to animals, I was a little leery of the animal part, but all are kept a good distance from guests, and there is no indication of them in the house. The breakfast was fresh eggs and fresh herbs from the garden, and fresh juice. The host and hostess were SO nice-accommodating with the room, friendly in a sincere way. They gave accurate directions, and the B&B is in a great location to tour the areas of Concord and Lexington. I would happily return. Excellent value, and a true feeling of being a welcome guest.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Inn On The Horse Farm? Share your experiences!