“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Sturbridge
London
“Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

Stayed here one night after reading other reviews here.
Agree with other recent comments; this is a well situated clean hotel, quiet and good beds. Front desk staff very friendly and the breakfast included was excellent.

Stayed July 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Charlottesville, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2008

Oh, my gosh – what a find! I picked this motel for a 2-night stay near my parent’s home because of advice on TripAdvisor & because it’s right off I-84 (very “easy-on/easy-off”). I made our reservations on Expedia.com & it was $95.14 a night. We stayed in Room 233 (non-smoking, king-size bed) on a Friday & Saturday night in June.

When we first entered the room, the smell of cleaning products was a bit overwhelming (I can’t stand anything scented – perfume, candles, cleaning products), but we opened the sliding glass door to the mini-deck (3x5 feet) and that aired out the room nicely. The view from the sliding glass door onto the pond below was lovely. As the motel is close to the highway, there was fairly constant highway noise, but closing the patio door & running the air conditioning unit (which really worked well) drowned out most of the noise at night. We never heard any noise from our neighbors.

The motel is privately owned & the lady who checked us in said that the owner had been working to renovate everything over the past couple of years. This was very evident as everything in our room looked new-ish and was spotlessly clean (ok, I admit that I saw a spec of mildew in the grout around one tile in the shower – but this room was cleaner than I keep my own house!). Probably my only complaint was that the bathroom sink was a bit small for all of our stuff (we don’t have to share a sink at home).

The room had a vaulted ceiling, and was quite nicely decorated with scenic prints & lovely lamps, and the bathroom tile looked new. It’s within walking distance of some restaurants/taverns, & McDonalds (Friendly’s was across the road). We got dinner one night from McD’s and it was very nice sitting inside the room at the small table near the patio door, looking out onto the pond (one afternoon I noticed one of our neighbor’s on her “deck” reading a book). And we had fun watching the ducks and geese swim up to the lawn outside the motel both afternoons -- looking for hand-outs.

The landscaping was even nice – with pink roses that matched the pink of the room doors. There was a small but very clean outdoor pool behind the motel (no lifeguard).

The continental breakfast was especially nice, and served in a small dining room near the motel office. There was coffee (a little weak), assorted teas, assorted Danish, cold cereal, bananas & apples, orange & apple juices, bagels and make-your-own waffles. The dining room was also very clean & all of the food was fresh.

It’s probably not high on most travelers’ lists to get their daily exercise while they’re on vacation, but it is important to my husband – the sidewalks outside the motel were excellent for walking, and you could even go quite a distance just walking around the parking lots beside & behind the motel. If you need a gym work-out, the Sturbridge Athletic Club is just behind the motel & charges $5 for a day pass (the equipment is old, but perfectly adequate for a work-out & my husband enjoyed it).

I think this motel would be a great place for an extended stay in Sturbridge. And I would think that it would be great for people traveling with kids – waffles for breakfast, a pool to swim in, and feeding the ducks in the afternoon. I didn’t check it out, but it looked like you could even launch your own canoe or kayak from the motel grounds onto the pond.

• Liked — Window with a great view
  • Disliked — Smell of cleaners/detergents
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Riverside, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2008

WE WERE GOING TO MAINE....AND WE WERE SO TIRED...SO WE JUST TOOK THE EXIT AND FOUND THIS PLACE. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE IT WAS..............

We had a room with Whirlpool suite overlooking the lake. When we went to the room we were really surprised by it. It was two room suite with a seperate sitting aea.

The bedroom was beautifully decorated with king bed. It was very comfortable. The bathroom was huge with whirlpool big enough for two. It was very very clean.

THE FRONT DESK WAS EXCEPTIONAL. VERY HELPFUL AND COURTEOUS. I HAD FORGOTTEN MY TOOTHBRUSH AND THE FRONT DESK STAFF BROUGHT IT RIGHT OVER and made it a point to make sure that I was really comfortable and happy with my room.

Breakfast in the morning was pleasant surprise. I would recommend the hotel to any traveller be it business or pleasure.

Stayed May 2008
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

Can’t add much to what was said by the previous reviewer. Stayed here just overnight, so didn’t have a chance to use the pool or even test out the wireless connection. The room was large enough and very clean, comfortable bed, nice (and unexpected!) view of a lake right outside the window, decent breakfast, friendly staff, easy to find (about a mile off the highway) – all for under $80. What else can you ask for?

• Stayed October 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Columbus, OH
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2007

Stayed one night in King bed suite. Was a very large room and had a view of lake behind property. Was clean and we were pleasantly suprised as exceeded our expectations. Close to Old Sturbridge village and highway exit.

Pool was a little grungy and needs work. Ladder was loose.

Staff was very helpful and friendly. When we asked for extra towels after using pool they brought them right over. Contientla breakfast had waffle maker.

Internet was down while I was there and need a cord as not wireless.

• Liked — room was large
  • Disliked — internet service was down
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2004

It wasn't the best place around. There are other nicer hotels in the area. My son had allergic reaction to something he ate right before we were going to bed. (pine nuts in his pesto sauce) I had to call 911 but I had a hard time because of the phones. When I called the front desk, they didn't seem to understand or care. After spending the night in the hospital, the next morning they truly didn't care. Plus where he got sick in the parking lot stayed there until late the next day. Gross! I would have cleaned it but my son was passed out and I was at the hospital with him. The hotel guess showed concern but not the hotel staff. I thought it was kind of odd. It was a scary night and they were no help.

Been to Sturbridge Super 8 Motel? Share your experiences!