“Sturbridge Host is Good” 4 of 5 stars

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   366 Main Street, Sturbridge, MA 01566   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Sturbridge
Boston, MA
“Sturbridge Host is Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

We were happy to spend a long weekend at Sturbridge Host. Unfortuantely, the first room given to us was pretty mildewy, but the staff changed our room quickly, and we were happy with the next room. We came with our 7 year old, and were happy to see the mini golf, pool, lake and lots of other kids. The staff were great. and though the summer is a very busy time here, we never had to wait long for anything. This was a nice place to stay for a long weekend, and we felt it was reasonably priced.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room cleanliness
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Upstate NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2007

I wasn't sure what to expect as I wasn't familiar with this hotel and had booked it through Priceline. We were thoroughly pleased with the hotel, the location & the amenities. Our room was off the pool/courtyard area. The room was very large and included a sink vanity in the bathroom and outside of the bathroom. We were able to use our laptop with no difficulty; my son throughly enjoyed the pool and we enjoyed the lake. Our beds were very comfortable and had high quality linens. I will most definitely stay here in the future with my family. It far exceeded my expectations and was very economical.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MA/NH
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2007

Spent a night here two years ago with husband and a group of 20 friends. The only saving grace to the hotel is the pool area.
Regardless of anything else, you must know that the staff at this hotel are the worst ever. When returning to our room at 10:00 at night we could not enter with our room key. Called desk and waited a long time for assistance. Employee could not open door either. Night manager paged maintainence. No answer. By now it was past 1:00 a.m. and we still were locked out. Manager returned to tell us that we could have another room for the night about 3:00 a.m. Great, a new room--but no clothes, medications, etc. Never were offered even a toothbrush in return. The next morning about 10:00 we were able to access the room to collect our belonging. We had to pay for this service!!!!!!!!!! I called the
executive manager and got a semi-apology, but no offers for a return visit...which I would have refused. At least he could have offered me a refund. I don't care if they refurbish this hotel to look like a 5* resort....don't go there!

• Liked — decent pool area
  • Disliked — read the review....horrible
  • Stayed March 2005
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2007

We stayed here as a get away for a weekend and we were thoroughly disappointed. We had a king sized room on the top level in the back overlooking the lake (limited view). Reception told us we were in a very nice room that was remodeled. When we walked in, our first thoughts were this is renovated? It was nice to have a separate sitting area but the sofa was very hard. We had 2 tv's which was fine. The sliding glass door was old and the balcony was small. The bathroom had a new vanity but that's about all that was new. Our bed was hard as a rock and the sheets were not comfortable. We didn't eat in the hotel but did frequent the bar. It was not until the 2nd night that the bartender warmed up to us. We ate at the Oxhead Tavern and thought it was the highlight of our stay. As others have posted, when you walk the halls and use the elevator, you feel like your back in the 60's or 70's and I knew right then we were in trouble. I would not recommend staying here, they are way overpriced for what you get. If the price was $50 a night, I'd think they were charging too much. If you're looking to get away, this is not the place.

• Liked — The Oxbow Tavern
  • Disliked — The incredibly hard bed
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

Such a disappointment. We stayed only one night with hopes that we would be returning annually. That won't be happening. Checked in Sunday evening. Hotel was not at all filled to capacity. The woman at the check in was rude and rushed. Never cracked a smile. Handed me a map with directiosn to our room which was completely on the far and back end of the property. Had to lug our bags and 3 year old sone through a maze of hallways and elevators. Room was in an outdated corrider . Oh... let me tell you a bit about the elevator. Gross! Very old. CARPETED WALLS. Can you imagine the bacteria living in those walls after 30 years of hoisting guests dripping from the pool? Yuck. Back to the room.... Room was large but obviously not updated. the bathroom had been updated and at first glance looked great. Then you look at the faucet. Very old, rusty and decayed. Tub stopper did not work at all forcing us to use a mug to stop up the tub to bathe our son.

Bed was literally the hardest thing I have ever slept or.. tried to sleep on. There was an odd little fridge in the middle of the living room floor. So, somewhere around 10:30 we started to hear a dog bark. Then two dogs. Large dogs. The barking continued and got louder. They were in the hotel and directly below us. I called the front desk and they seemed to know exactly what room held these dogs. So I hung up thinking this would be taken care of. 45 Minutes of non stop barking later my husband had to get dressed and search for the room himself. He happened to walk past the only couple in the lobby and took a chance.
"Are you in room 306?"
"Yes. Why? Are our dogs barking?"
"You are [--] right they are."

So we finally fell asleep and upon check out I asked the Manager if there were other rooms available last night. he said "yes" and proceede dto tell me thatthe hotel was practically empty. Apparently there are only a few dog friendly rooms in teh hotel and for some unknown reason we wre put in amoung them. They only thing this manager would offer us is a free breakfast.

Save yourself. Do not go here. I am sure that there are some lovely rooms in the place, but dont take the risk that you may be placed in the dog pound. Not worth a penny.

• Liked — Proximity to Sturbridge
  • Disliked — Everything Else!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

We stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel for a short night's stay, to break up the trip from NY to Boston. We knew we wouldn't get in until late that night and would leave early that morning, so we were most interested in an easy and inexpensive place to rest for a few hours. This hotel far exceeded our hopes. It was quite charming, clean, and comfortable.

The hotel is just minutes off of I-90 and I-84, but it felt like a little vacation for our eight-hour stay.

The hotel was renovating when we stayed there. The hallway smelled like paint, but the room didn't smell at all.

Our balcony overlooked a nice garden, I think (it was dark when we checked in).

The indoor courtyard was a nice touch. We couldn't stay for breakfast, but I bet it's a nice place to sit and eat or read.

• Stayed November 2006
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

We were in for one night for a conference. Rooms are large--two double beds in ours, table, two chairs. Room is plain and for me too dark since they use electricity saving light bulbs but everthing was very clean.

Bathroom has been updated....tub/shower is still on the older side but new large vanity, sink etc. Coffee maker and coffee was provided which is a nice touch since my husband likes an early ,early morning cup of coffee.

We did not try the bar nor restaurant but took a peek and both had a welcoming environment and were crowded.

This is a good family hotel since it has a pool and a family friendly atmosphere. However we did not find it overly loud.
I gave this an average rating but would rate this hotel above average for the value for the $$$ (we did not pay for our room but know it is reasonable)

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Lighting in room too dim
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!