“Overall great experience and extended stay” 4 of 5 stars

Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   366 Main Street, Sturbridge, MA 01566   |
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Sturbridge
Westerly, RI
“Overall great experience and extended stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Attended a conference. Friendly welcome, Hotel rooms immaculate, daily housekeeping exemplary. Magnificent view of Cedar Lake from my ground level room. Exercise room open 24 hours. Conference rooms comfortable, Conference meals all excellent.
I arrived early to visit the famous "Old Sturbridge Village". Stayed an extra day ro give myself a treat.
Great dinner at the Oxhead Tavern, Delicious and piping hot meal, generous proportions, reasonable prices and cozy atmosphere.
Breakfast sendoff this morning in the Greenhouse Restaurant was outstanding...three cheers for Melissa, my server, Andrea, the hostess and the chef whose Minuteman Eggs...scrambled eggs with Cheddar cheese....were the best I've ever had.
As a female traveling solo I felt comfortable and secure. I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Lake view room is my favorite but, ask to be near the spa or the pool or whatever is important
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
ManagerSturbridge_MA, Manager at Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your kind appraisal of our hotel and staff. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
Springfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter and I stayed here for a week in August while she attended a Sturbridge village camp. We got a package deal because of the summer camp. After reading some of the reviews here, I wasn't expecting much - but was very pleasantly surprised.

No, it is not a 5-star hotel. But I didn't expect anything like the amenities that they had for the price we paid - paddle boats, nice little private beach, miniature golf, lovely themed indoor pool, exercise room, and even a tiny game room. Breakfast was included in the package, and it was not a stale-doughnuts-and-cereal-help-yourself-arrangement, either. They served my 8 year old bowls of fresh fruit and berries, waffles, and eggs that met even her exacting standards (picky!), and had enough variety for me (I particularly loved their Eggs Benedict) that I never followed through on my original plan to try some of the other breakfast restaurants nearby. I thought the coffee was too strong, but I believe it was Starbucks' so that probably puts me in the minority.

The staff at the front desk, in the restaurant, and the room cleaners could not have been friendlier or more helpful. Yes, the hotel is showing its age, but it is clean and comfortable and kept at a comfy temperature. We had a balcony room overlooking the very quiet grounds and within view of the lake, where we hung out and watched a family of ducks wandering about in the morning. Some minor mechanical problems with the room were attended to instantly.

I hope they don't update the place! I probably wouldn't be able to afford it once they did, and I definitely want to go back for next year's trip.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Narragansett, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center. Nice little New England retreat. The services was great, rooms could use a little updateing, but over all, good value for the $. Complimentary coffee, other than this little mini-coffee maker in the room would be a nice added amenity, but would definately stay there again. Conveniently located just outside historic Sturbridge Village. Lots to do in the area, especially for a family w/young kids. Big indoor pool area to keep everyone occupied for an hour or two.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. We're delighted that you and your family enjoyed yourselves here. Kids do love that pool; especially during the colder months. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.
Bethel, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I am writing this review in hopes that the people from the Sturbridge Host read it. I have been making an annual trip to Sturbridge for the better part of 30 years. First with my parents, and now with my own family, parents and my sisters family. We have only stayed at the Host. We have now moved to the Comfort inn, and this is why.....
While the location (on the lake in the heart of the town), and the courtyard ambiance with a great pool and indoor balconies can't be beat, the rooms are beyond unacceptable. Stains on carpets, wallpaper peeling from walls, cigarette burns in comforters, water stains in the ceiling of the bathrooms, uncomfortable beds and pillows, squeaky slider doors, peeling paint on balconies, etc etc have Forced us to search else wear. My wife refused to stay there again, even though we both felt a connection of nostalgia.
To the owner of the Host, PLEASE fix this. I realize the cost of a mass renovation is extreme, but you have lost 3 customers who booked annually to the Comfort Inn. Based on reviews, something tells me you are going to lose a lot more.
In its Hay Day, this was a Great hotel. I am so saddened to see the state in which it stands today.

Room Tip: Hang up with the Host and call the Comfort Inn.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We are so sorry to have disappointed you. We have shared your comments with our Executive Team. Thank you.
Roslindale, Massachusetts, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I would never stay again in any room that faces the pool/restaurant area. It is extremely noisy and poorly soundproofed. Weddings, parties, and people just hanging out and making noise throughout the night made it impossible to sleep without earplugs.This is a very poor design for a hotel. I can't speak to any of the rooms that do not face the interior--presumably they are better.

Room Tip: Don't stay on interior!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Please accept our apologies for not being able to sleep due to noise. Had we known, we could have moved your room to another area of the hotel. We certainly hope you will give us another chance. Most people really like the lake view rooms.
south wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our tour. Staff were very welcoming. The rooms were big, clean and bed was very comfy. We ate at the Tavern which was really busy but very nice. It must be a hotel thing in the USA but the hotel bars close really early so bit disappointed that we couldn't have a drink after 11pm. Breakfast was very nice and overall I would recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending our hotel. We're very happy that you enjoyed your time here in New England and we hope you will stay with us again if you are ever in the area.
Charlton, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

My husband and I got married on October 6 at the Sturbridge Host and it was absolutely perfect! The wedding coordinator, Courtney is amazing! She was always quick to respond to questions and walked us through every step of the wedding planning process. Planning a wedding can become very stressful because there are always going to be bumps along the way, but Courtney was so helpful and reassuring. Even on the day of the wedding, after she had just dealt with a downpour on the first outdoor ceremony, she talked my DJ into setting up outside so that I can have my outdoor ceremony by the lake. And aside from a bit of a chill, the weather held out wonderfully.

The hotel is far from ordinary and the perfect place for a wedding. Our guests had a blast in the pool or visiting the local attractions the morning of the wedding and I had no worries about people driving anywhere after the wedding. The outdoor ceremony was beautiful by the lake and the small ballroom comfortably fit our small wedding. We also got to do karaoke in the tavern after the wedding festivities ended!

All in all, the wedding was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. Thank you Courtney and all of the Sturbridge Host staff!!

Room Tip: Our room faced the pool, but if you can get one that faces the lake you'll have a much better vi...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Congratulations! We're so pleased that everything was wonderful for your special day. It's the people that make all the difference and we're lucky to have such great staff. We pride ourselves on providing great customer service every day and it's nice when someone notices. Thank you. And we wish you and your spouse a long and loving life together.

Been to Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!