“A truly awful meal! Yikes!” 1 of 5 stars

508-347-3313
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Publick House Historic Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 46 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Southport, CT
“A truly awful meal! Yikes!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

After years of traveling to Brimfield for the antique shows, we decided it was time to try this Historic Inn, and made our reservations for Friday evening.

It is true, that the facade and cozy interior are wonderful, the place has special ambiance, wide plank wood flooring, antique pewter, the very essence of New England at it's finest.

However, the food was terrible. I ordered grilled swordfish with risotto and spinach, my companion ordered the salmon with a vinegar reduction and winter vegetables. My swordfish was dry, and tasted like burnt charcoal. I've had grilled swordfish many times, but the burned taste permeated the fish and it was just about inedible. Plus, the risotto was mushy, and had a weird, almost rancid flavor!

The salmon was o.k. but someone needs to let the chef know that the vinegar reduction is not complimentary to the delicate flavor of salmon. Further, the fish was served with a helping of overcooked squash, and the cubed root squash served alongside (kind of strange) was not cooked, and tasteless.

The bread basket served had store bought snowflake rolls, dry corn bread, although the sticky buns weren't so bad. It's really the only thing we ate!

We paid our bill quickly, the waiter looked uncomfortable when he removed our untouched plates. But, lesson learned: don't judge a restaurant's fare by the past reputation, even if the place itself is charming.

Yuck!

CT
“New owners destroyed decades of unique quality dining”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

I had a friend a couple of years ago tell me that the Publick House restaurant had changed and not for the better. I couldn't believe it so I went with my family (we had been going every other year for the last 30 years). Instead of the dish of assorted relishes and basket of specialty breads, sticky buns, and cornbread we were use to, they were no longer offered. Instead, we got a small basket of breads w/1 or 2 miniature sticky buns. The food portions were way smaller and the quality and ingredients didn't even come close to what they had been.

We asked one of the long-time servers what happened. She said the new owners said the relish tray was "wasteful" and did away with it as well as "adjusted" the portions and ingredients of the long time standard entrees.

SHAME ON THEM!!! Please! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!!!! There are many other places that are far better and cheaper than this in Sturbridge.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Connecticut, USA
“Overpriced, mediocre food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2009

The restaurant & grounds are beautiful & well-maintained. The waitstaff is excellent, and the ambiance is very good, but the food is just OK. At the prices they charge, the food should be outstanding. As it is, the food is just passable. All the dinners come a la carte - you need to pay extra for salad and soup. All entrees are between $16 and $32.

Boston, MA
“Been There Dozens of Times -- Just Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

I disagree with the negative reviews. Though it's possible that The Public House might get something wrong, sometime, it's very unlikely. My family and I have frequented The Public House for over 15 years, and have "never" had less than extraordinary food or service. The restaurant is best to visit in the fall or winter. Sit near its roaring fire and order an old-fashioned turkey platter or steak with creamy cheese sauce. Did I mention that The Public House has its own bakery and provides each table with a complimentary basket of goodies? And the French fries are outstanding.
Make sure to try it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Ma
“Publick House has gone downhill...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

Last week I stopped for lunch here with two business colleagues who are from overseas. I wanted to show them an old-fashioned American building with a good lunch. Was I disappointed! One dish (raviolis) was dried out and one dish (spinach salad) had a pile of unappetizing Monterey jack shredded cheese on top. Service was slow and flustered. They insisted we had ordered a complete dinner when we had not, and then took at least 30 minutes to correct the bill. This used to be a really nice place to stop for lunch on the way to New York City. No longer.