“A Delightful and Historic Restaurant, Well Worth the Drive” 4 of 5 stars

508-347-3313
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Publick House Historic Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 46 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Constant Traveller
“A Delightful and Historic Restaurant, Well Worth the Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My family has been dining at the Publick House for more than 50 years, and it has been a consistent performer through most of those decades. If you haven't been to the Publick House before, it is an old, old Inn, with odd-shaped rooms, low ceilings and interesting nooks and crannies to explore. The main bar on the first floor is a delight, with a large selection of single-malt scotches and antique fire arms. The main dining rooms (on the street level, entering from the front) are the real-deal: 200 years old, with wide floor board and Hitchcock furniture. Most recently, we just had my niece's wedding at the Publick House, with about 100 guests, and the restaurant handled it gracefully. The food was tasty (I particularly enjoyed my salmon); they accommodated special meal requests smoothly, the bar was speedy and the prices were competitive. The baked goods are excellent and the staff was highly trained and professional. Two thumbs up for the Publick House!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

USAFret
“Always a nice evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We have been dining at The Public House for years. I have seen it go from great to marginal and back again. I reviewed it two years ago and was pleased to see it had made great strides towards regaining it's former status. We had dinner recently and were pleased to see it had returned to the former standard. The service has always been good and the dinner was delicious. Over the years they have become more of a catering establishment but the restaurant has not been neglected. the bake shop is worth the trip in itself. A nice dinner in a historic setting.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheektowaga, New York
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

After walking around Sturbridge Village most of the day, we were looking for lunch. I asked the clerk at Sturbridge and she said try Rt. 131. Well, we say the place and my husband said, we were here before, so again we pulled in with our nephew and his wife behind us. We went came in thru the back- WOW the bake goods. We by-passed and went to the dining room. We waited about 5 minutes for a table. Great menu- and the food was great and filling too. I brought back half of my club croissant sandwich (served with fries and pickle), my husband had crock French onion soup, my nephew had open roast beef with fries and lots of homemade gravy (he was in heaven) and Kathy has portabella sandwich. They both had New England Clam Chowder-was thick that the spoon stood up straight. We were stuffed by the time we got done. We will be back to the bakery with friends of ours in the next couple of days.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Lee, Massachusetts
“Overpriced, over-rated, terrible food and worse service.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a reservation for 10 to celebrate our father's 90th birthday. Disappointing on all levels. Even though it was a very busy night, hospitality should gleam regardless. Hostess didn't know where we were eating...waiter could not have cared less...he acted as though we were disturbing his night. I am in hospitality, and if this waiter was on my staff he's lose his job in a blink. I mean, you're waiting on a party of 10...eating off the menu with the low price $16.00 for Shepherd's Pie...you think he might go out of his way just a bit to take care of such a large eventual check ...yes, $16 for Shepherd's Pie...wow, what an insult. On to the food. My favorite part of my meal was the cake (I supplied from and outside bakery)...secondly, the butternut squash mash was nice. Salmon was supposed to be pan seared...it was not. My husband's prime rib was very mediocre...(the waiter recommended it). No creativity in food, very mediocre quality, no presentation, and way too pricey. Typical New England fare served & prepared by a kitchen that has clearly lost it's spark and is resting on it's historic laurels. Don't be taken in by the charming exterior.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Chester, New York
“Yummy!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We often visit relatives about 1/2 hour away and had the opportunity to eat here. We travel here for their "sticky buns" in the bakery. Yummy! Dinner was an even better treat. The best value is the turkey feast. Everything was delicious! This includes soup or salad and dessert. Drinks are reasonably priced. They have a great martini selection and a glass of wine w/dinner doesn't disappoint. Definitely worth the trip! The décor is as expected early American. We had the opportunity to eat dinner in big comfy chairs at the table. It made lingering more enjoyable.

• Visited September 2013