Where can I start? As I was booking a two night "Rise and Shine" package on-line in the UK the website offered me a third night at what appeared to be a reduced rate. This seemed good value so I booked the third night. When we checked in we were presented with room keys and vouchers for two breakfasts. Apparently, the third night was the standard "bed only" rate with no reduction at all. That was the first of several disappointments over the next couple of days.
We booked a table for dinner in the main dining room on our first evening. My wife's meal was fine but my dinner was tepid. The waitress readily agreed to get me a replacement but that was hardly any better (the kitchen had heated up the sauce on the turkey, but the potatoes were still tepid and the beans chewy).
That night we were awoken at around midnight by a loud ringing in the ears. Disorientated by the sudden awakening we spent a futile few minutes bashing the alarm clock near our heads before realising that the noise was coming from the wall next to the headboard.The noise was the fire alarm. This continued to ring for twenty minutes or so but without any further information to guests (no fire alarm instructions in the room we could see). Guests were wandering about the corridor, chatting and clumping up and down but no members of staff were to be seen. In reception was a scene of chaos with guest milling around aimlessly. A man with lots of keys around his middle (a janitor?) said it was 'probably a false alarm' and that the fire service would come to switch it off, which they did ten minutes later with lots of flashing lights and clanging bells. The fact that the whole place smelled of wood-smoke from the wood fires downstairs did not help our return to sleep. In the morning there was no apology or explanation for the night's events.
The second night we booked a table in the smaller restaurant in the bar. We were disappointed by a fifty minutes' wait for our order of a bowl of soup and a burger. In the meantime two or three tables who came after us were served two courses. Our waiter didn't seem to notice the delay.
We decided to cut our losses after two nights and cancelled our third night's booking. On a positive note, the atmosphere of the Inn was genuinely old and charming, the bar was friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was excellent. The Innkeeper made a point of speaking to us before we left and listened very sympathetically to our comments.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcoming guests with genuine New England hospitality for over two centuries. Antique-filled rooms, suites, & guesthouses. Contemporary regional cuisine, 3 restaurants, James Beard House-honored chef, elegant & casual/indoor & outdoor dining, award-winning wine list. Heated year-round outdoor pool & hot tub, Gift Shop, WiFi. Live entertainment nightly in pub. Memorable weddings & events. Small to mid-size meetings, unique spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TravelClick, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Agoda and Otel so you can book your The Red Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Stockbridge
- Red Lion Inn Stockbridge Ma
- Stockbridge Red Lion