“Simply Perfect!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Long Island New York
“Simply Perfect!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

My husband and I had the absolute pleasure of a 2 day stay at this glorious inn. We got a incredible "off season package" called a "Snuggle Up", which included breakfast and dinner . The price was an absolute steal for the quality of the beautiful room we were given, and the absolutely delicious food we had for both breakfast and dinner. The service in the main dining room was just incredible. Not only were the wait staff very attentive, but genuinely friendly and accommodating. This seems to be the "norm" throughout the inn. Every single employee that we had any contact with was courteous, helpful and just the nicest imaginable! The cleanliness of our room was amazing, not to mention the charming antique decor. The thing my husband and I loved about this beautiful country inn, was that everything that you could possibly want for was there. If you wanted a formal dining experience, dine in the "Main Dining Room", if your looking for a more informal experience, try the "Widow Binghams Tavern, and if you like a little pub atmosphere "The Lions Den" will fill that need.Entertainment in the Lions Den is every night with local musicians giving their all. Food was fun in the Den. Great pub fare ! The thing that we also loved was the beautiful sitting areas throughout the inn, our favorite being the area with the inviting real woodburning fireplace right outside the Main Dining room. We found ourselves sitting there both nights after dinner, chatting with some really nice couples. Let me not forget to tell you about the delicious mulled apple cider that you can have with a dose of dark rum. A great drink to sip in front of the fireplace.We can't say enough about the Inn. I could go on and on. Please try a off season stay there . You will leave grinning ear to ear and rested beyond your expectations. Any questions? I would be happy to answer, as I could write countless pages about this perfect place!! P.S There is a adorable cat named Simon, that was adopted by the Inn. Friendly like the rest of the staff, don't be surprised if he cuddles on your lap in front of the fireplace. Enjoy!!

• Liked — authentic country inn with clean beautiful rooms and dining
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2008

We stayed last night with one of their packages which included dinner and breakfast.

The Inn is very historic and filled with antiques, in some areas though, there are just too many and it just looks cluttered. The history of the Inn is remarkable and there are many small areas for just sitting and relaxing. There were fireplaces burning and the entire inn felt warm and cozy.

The front desk staff was pleasant when we checked in and we found our room to be large and very nicely decorated with a gas fireplace and a nicely apppointed bathroom.
The problem with the room was that it was directly on Rte 7 and it was so loud that we did not sleep at all. You could hear every car and truck so loudly that it felt like we were sleeping on the street. Also, before we left the room for dinner, there was a knock on the door for turn down service. We told her that we would be leaving in 2 minutes and when we returned to the room, it had not been turned down. Not a big issue, but just a detail that was overlooked.

We did enjoy the outside hot tub while it was snowing. The pool, while very heated, was not heated enough for me, though my husband did jump in. It was a nice treat.

I will preface my dining review with the fact that I was in the restaurant business for many years.
We had lunch downstairs in the Lion's Den and it was very good with some of the best potato chips we have ever had.

The dining room is very nice but we had an OK dinner. My starter of sweet potato gnocchi was swimming in a flavorless pea puree and needed both salt and pepper to pull out the flavors. I ordered the grassfed beef from their sustainable menu. The flavors of the sauce, goat cheese potato pancake, and sauteed spinach were delicious but the cut of the meat was very tough and flavorless. My husband enjoyed his salad but his prime rib was just OK and there was no au jus to go along with it.
The pumpkin creme brulee and chocolate tart were superb with a cup of freshly brewed local coffee.

Breakfast was just OK. Service for all meals was excellent.

We will probably not return. I understand that there is not much that the Inn can do about the street noise, but we were up all night long and could not wait to get home to get some rest. I was expecting more from the restaurant; it has been so highly recommended but I did not find anything that lived up to the reputation.

Stayed March 2008
Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

Red Lion inn is a lovely old inn. The front desk help were very nice. The outdoor heated pool and hot tub were open while it was snowing which was a rare treat for those of us who are brave enough to go out in a bathing suit when it is 25 degrees outside. The room was antique but clean and well cared for. Only downside there is no soundproofing at all-you can hear your neighbors and they can hear you (which may be a problem if you are counting on having a romantic night). Our neighbors were pretty quiet but we still could hear them. There is a small eatery (I think it is called the corner market or something like that) a few doors down with an inexpensive super breakfast and great hometown service. We were there for skiing. Jiminy Peak is close and very nice. Butternut was also pretty close but not worth the trip.

• Liked — quaint, antiques, small town feel
  • Disliked — soundproofing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2008
Thank you for posting your feedback, and we're glad you enjoyed your visit. You picked a great time to come for the skiing and a relaxing outdoor hot tub soak apres-ski. Thanks for letting us know about the soundproofing issues. We've started on a renovation campaign that encompasses insulating the exterior as well as the interior walls. (Something they didn't think they needed 100 years ago!) The market you mentioned is called Elm Street Market and has a great hometown breakfast and lunch counter to catch up on all the Stockbridge news. Hope to see you again soon!
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

My fiance and I LOVED the Red Lion Inn. It was so pretty, and I totally enjoyed the real fireplace...they smelled wonderful. We both work at a hotel, and our expectations are always very high. All of our expectations were met. We had a cozy little room with a king size bed, and a fireplace. The Front Desk was very polite, and helpful. We went to dinner at Sweet Basil Grille and had a fabulous meal! The next morning we had a wonderful breakfast. The package we were on was great, in the package you got a room, and a breakfast. The breakfast was a full breakfast with juice, coffee, and a full entree. I loved it. We are planning on returning every year to celebrate Valentine's Day.

• Liked — The fireplace in the room.
  • Disliked — The bed was a bit noisy...
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, March 10, 2008
We're happy that Malibu84 enjoyed their stay and couldn't agree more that there are few more romantic spots to spend Valentine's Day with a loved one than The Red Lion Inn. We're always proud when we can impress our hospitality colleagues, and provide them with a great experience "from the other side of the front desk". Come back soon!
Stillwater, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2007

What a welcome respite The Red Lion was after a long stormy ride from Boston! My mother and I were so very pleased with their courteous staff and luxurious accommodations. Shortly after arrival we had a light dinner in the Lion's Den. This meal and breakfast the next morning in the Dining Room were memorable. My mother and I certainly felt pampered during our stay at this lovely inn.
I chose the inn after reading a Norman Rockwell Museum brochure. In it I learned The Red Lion Inn and Country Curtains pays all children's admission to their museum.
I hope to make an annual trip to The Red Lion Inn for many years to come.

Stayed November 2007
BruceRLI, Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2008
We're so pleased that 234 years later, we can still provide a welcome, warm and inviting respite for weary travelers like debdug, who now arrive by automobiles instead of stage coaches. We'll keep the fires glowing and look forward to your return!
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2007

My husband & I have frequented the Red Lion Inn for several years now, mainly in the spring or summer. This year we thought the holiday season would be nice. The Inn was beautifully decorated & rooms & food were always excellent. My qualm is that the staff (management) did not appear to be aware of the intrusiveness of other parties that monopolized the main lounge. Apparently there was a family gathering & they took up the entire spot & placed their Xmas gifts under the tree & took all sorts of pictures. I actually was quietly waiting for my husband to come downstairs for dinner & was asked if I would mind moving because a member of their party had just arrived. Usually I would not mind, but in this case i found the request annoying. There appeared to be many smaller or meeting room that this party could have utilized for their family reunion.They also left drinks & snacks & paper in the area & I almost tripped on a ribbon.
I would go to the Inn again, but not during a holiday season.

• Liked — location & decor
  • Disliked — young unsupervised children opeing Xmas gifts all over the main rooms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2008
We're so pleased that Blackiefazz enjoyed her stay with us and disappointed that we did not do a better job of traffic control in our cozy lobby. It's unfortunate that the family in question did not avail themselves of many smaller nooks and side parlors that would have been available for their party. While we strive to provide all our guests with a relaxed and memorable experience, unfortunately, some guests are not as gracious or considerate as others. I would imagine by the time we realized this party had taken over the lobby (made smaller by our Christmas tree), it may have been too late to move them. We will look forward to your next visit, and hope the family in question is also a Tripadvisor reader! Happy New Year!
Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2007

My wife and I took advantage of a Friday night mid-December special--one night plus breakfast for $85 plus tax--booked directly through the inn's website.

It turned out to be a fabulous deal--at least for us. The massive inn is of incredible historical interest and funky old charm. The whole thing is from the Revolutionary War era. The floors underneath the expanse of Persian-style carpet undulate underfoot--but I thought that was kind of cool. There are cabinets everywhere filled to the brim with antique china. The lobby is huge, with lots of little nooks, fireplaces, and siderooms. You really feel like you're getting an old-style New England experience. It's somehow very ornate and yet cozy as well.

The room:

I should note that our room was one that did not have an attached bathroom. (We knew that from the start, however.) The bathroom was directly across the hall. But there was no one else on our wing that night, so we had it all to ourselves. This would probably bother some people--yet there are other rooms at the inn that do have their own bathroom. And they give you thick robes to use, so it's not like you'll be stuck running across the hall naked. And there was a sink in the room.

The bed was very soft, the sheets luxurious, and the room warm and quiet--despite the fact that its windows faced Route 7. There was not much traffic at all there late at night. Perhaps that's different in the summer or on a weekend night in peak season. The rooms also have free wi-fi, and there's a computer with a printer in the third-floor library.

Problems:

To give a balanced review, I should note that some of the wallpaper and plaster in the room was cracked--but it almost added to the charm. In a modern hotel room, I'd think that was ratty--but here it just reminded me that early American patriots slept here.

Eating:

The voucher for the continental breakfast for two turned out to be a real perk, in that we were also allowed to apply it ($14 value) to the bill on a full breakfast.

Breakfast in the exquisite dining room was delicious, and the service was the perfect blend of warmth and efficiency--but without any insincere, cloying obtrusiveness. Try the French toast or the Red Lion Frittata. Even the music was a tasteful and barely noticeable background of classical tunes. I kept teasing my wife over the white tablecloth that I felt like an actor in some Jane Austen movie.

Other:

The Inn also will give you a coupon for $8 off an adult weekend lift ticket at Ski Butternut if you ask.

The front-desk staff was very nice and accommodating.

We asked for and were given a room on a high floor (4th) and thus had a wee hike up the stairs to the room. Not a big deal, though. These aren't cement fire stairs but a beautiful carpeted staircase. For those with walking difficulties, there is an elevator.

If you bring your small children, do control them. We saw some who had made a shameful mess of the courtesy hot chocolate in the afternoon--and the parents didn't even clean it up. This is not a place where wild hellions should be brought. There are too many beautiful and historical artifacts here.

Conclusion:

If you love old buildings or American history and don't mind a few cracks in the ceiling or a floor that's uneven here and there (due to 300 years of use), then you will love the Red Lion Inn. It's a great way to sample one of the last vestiges of authentic New England.

• Liked — Cozy historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thank you WashDCMan, you got it! What we mean by that is: We fully admit we're not for everyone - our creaky floors, squeaky doors and well-traveled hallways don't appeal to those seeking a cookie-cutter hotel experience; and that's OK! For the rest, we promise to remain faithful to our mission of providing the conveniences and amenities you expect, with the historic ambiance you love. But don't ever expect key cards or automatic check-in kiosks. We DO have our limits! As for the wallpaper and plaster - that is a slip, and one we'll correct. I'm glad you made note of it, and thank you for your feedback. We'll see you next time and remain at your service! Thanks again.

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!