“Looks are deceiving...” 1 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #5 of 12 Restaurants in Stockbridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Washington, DC
“Looks are deceiving...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

I have a home in the Berkshires so I know this area well and have been to many of the area's restaurants. I have seen Michael's several times and it looks cute from the outside. Decided to give it a try tonight. It was tragic, period. Formica tables with cheap chairs. An onion soup that tasted like a paprika soup. (Never had French onion soup with green onions either). A sprimp alfredo that was simply pasta with a few shrimp bathed in milk and butter - no flavor at all. All this at prices that you would expect there was cook that actually knew how to cook ($20 for the "alfredo" and $6 for the soup). It think it was very telling that the place was not even half full at the dinner hour on a Saturday night over Memorial Day weekend. The waitress was sweet though - a saving grace. Plenty of good eats in the Berkshires - this place is definitely not one of them.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
michaelsstockbridge, Owner at Michael's, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
we sell more onion soup than most places in the berkshires. must be telling me something ! as for the chairs and tables, 99% of resaurant tables are formica !

Peissenberg
“Lunch is okay - Dinner not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Fries are crispy, but pasta is a disaster! We eat here several times but finally we had enough. I was there 10 years ago and last year again and it was such a huge difference! Really sad because I mentioned it before our travel and we were very disappointed!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
NY
“Eat here every visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2009

Never had a bad meal here. I am Italian so I don't say that about many Italian restaurants. I had lunch at the Red Lion for the first time and wished I talked my friends into Michael's instead even though it is very different atmosphere.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saint Louis, Missouri
“A Great Second NIght Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2008

Just down Elm Street off of Main, Michaels is easy to find and is a close walk from everything. The food is delicious and simple. After a full dining experience the night before, I was looking for simple and delicious but more along the lines of "just dinner" without a lot of fanfare. Michaels was the place to go. I've eaten here before and enjoyed the fact that the food is well prepared and the prices are reasonable. Their bar is well stocked and the wait staff is helpful and not overpowering. Every time I've been there they haven't been too busy (I think they are less known) so it's a nice peaceful way to end the day.

Chester, United Kingdom
“Mmmm”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2008

Erm.... no, it's not okay!
Pasta which floats in clarified butter is not good cuisine. The menu holds such promise but both of the pasta and salad dishes we had were pretty dreadful. How can you get such simple dishes so wrong? Service was ok. It was completely empty when we arrived - and it was still empty when we left.