“Best Breakfast EVER!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Southwick, Massachusetts
“Best Breakfast EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We've been interested in trying this place since it opened, but being a family of 5 we never seem to have the money. We had about an hour and a half to kill before one of my children's soccer game last weekend and decided, 'What the hell.....let's go to breakfast!'

We've been in the building when it was home to other restaurants and WHAT A CHANGE!! D & J's Hash House is so clean, with great lighting and lots of room. When we first arrived we were one of the only occupied tables there, but that didn't last long. By the time we left it was packed!! The waitress was awesome! Friendly, engaging and wonderful with my kids (who are 6 and 3). It seems family owned and that really appealed to us, as well. One man, who seemed like an owner, was helping deliver food and bus tables!! It was great to see such teamwork!

The coffee was fresh, piping hot and served immediately with hot cocoa for the kids served the same. When we ordered our food the waitress noticed that we had ordered one pancake with a side of bacon for each of my two children and when we were delivered our food she told us that she had charged us for a two pancake with bacon meal and split it between the kids to save us money!! Can't beat that service on a tight budget! Our food got to our table in record time and everything was delicious. The scrambled eggs were the silkiest eggs I've ever had and, as an avid bacon lover, the thick cut bacon was enough to feed a small army, cooked to perfection and AMAZING! One of my children, who never finishes a meal, cleaned their plate. The hubby, who had the hash omelet, was thrilled with his choice (this I know from the in between bite praises). One of my other children insisted on packing up the left over bacon to bring home and, actually, walked out to the car still munching on a strip!

We finished and paid with plenty of time to get to the soccer game and left genuinely happy with our decision to stop for a meal.....which doesn't always happen. On top of all of that, it was beyond affordable so after YEARS of only going out a couple of times a year, we're planning on making this a much more common family treat!

I don't know what these other people are talking about....I guess some people just need to complain....because we had one of the best dining out experiences we've ever had as a family. I can't speak highly enough about this place and I recommend that anyone who had a poor experience give it another shot

Thank you staff of D & J's Hash House.....we'll see you again soon!!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

63% Recommend
Tariffville
“RESTAURANT IS GOING DOWN FAST”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I have given two reviews on this place. My wife and I would go 5-6 times a week. Things have been changing since the father and boys are their less and less. There is no supervision or any type of management. They are out of things and food portions vary. The last visit I ordered an Omelet. When it came it was cold,very cold. I took a few bites thinking it may be warm inside. I called the waitress over and she felt it and took back to the kitchen. It returned on the same plate just put in a microwave. Have you ever had an Omelet warmed by a microwave? Awful! I could get that from a fast food joint. No I'm sorry or anything. No one seemed to care. That will be the last time I go to Hash House. Someone has to take the time to train and manage or they will be no more.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Tariffville
“KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We are going to Hash House now about 6 days a week. They just keep getting better. New Breakfast items which I enjoy. They have added a Waffle with sausage gravy that is out of site. They just make you feel wanted! The crew works hard to make sure you are pleased.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“VERY NICE AND CHEERFUL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We drive 6 miles to go to Hash House. We have breakfast 4-5 times a week and lunch 3-4 times. The food has always been excellent. Good service. The food is always cooked to your liking and wait staff makes sure your happy. The sons and father make a great combination to compliment the restaurant. Your made to feel like your wanted. Chuck and Carol

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Not for families”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband, 2 kids, and I went to eat there this morning. My children are age 5 and 2. We sat down, seemed like a nice atmosphere. My husband and 5 year old had eaten there before and liked it. We even ordered drinks. The drinks came without covers. This is where it went downhill. My 2 year old tried to pick up his milk, spilling some down his shirt and on the table. Then he started crying. I pulled him on my lap to hug him, just as a waitress, not our waitress, walked by and said, "he's gonna have to leave." I looked at my husband, grabbed my 2 year old and said, "call me when you two are done."

Visited June 2013