“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 22 hotels in South Yarmouth
Beverly, Massachusetts
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have to say that after reading some of the previous reviews I expected to see the rooms run down a bit. I wanted to stay because of the location. I wanted to be right on the beach which is what this hotel offers. I originally booked a room poolside on the second floor. The staff at check in noticed we were in a room closer to the street and upgraded us to a room with an ocean view. When we arrived at the room we were pleasantly surprised to find a clean, spacious, and appeared to be recently rennovated room. We enjoyed the pool and the walks on the beach at night. There still appears to be an issue with the WIFI. My son who is diagnosed with Autism had a great time. I would absolutely stay again. Yes it is a bit pricey but you are paying for the location. I recommend this resort for families with younger children. All the staff are great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RIVBEACHBassRiver, General Manager at Riviera Beach Resort - Bass River, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to review all the positives about our ocean front resort. The staff and management strive daily to keep out property in gorgeous condition and also to be very professional and polite to all our visitors. We hope to see you and your family back at one of our seven Red Jacket Resorts soon!

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Ramsey, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Bottom Line: Beautiful and convenient location with many activities for kids.

Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. Try and get one of the refurbished rooms. Be mindful of the resort fees and taxes as that increases the price quite a bit.

Details:
We stayed here two years ago and had an incredible time so we didn't hesitate to stay here again. Due to poor planning, we ended up booking 2 nights but booked an additional night a short while later. Because of this, we could not stay the full 3 days in one room but had to spend the last night in a room with one king bed. We checked in at 3pm on a Monday in a room next door to the one we stayed in 2 yrs ago #261. The room was second floor oceanfront and looked exactly how it did 2 yrs ago....a little dated but clean and the a/c was quite noisy. We spent the next 2 days enjoying the pools and beach and my daughter did the kite making activity and had lots of fun. When we had to change rooms, the woman at the front desk (Cait?) was incredibly helpful and made the transition very easy for us. We checked in to our new room #120 on the first floor on the opposite side of the property. This room was obviously newer in every way and except for the king bed and first floor location, it was better. We walked out on to a patio that was right next to the volleyball area on the beach.

Negatives:
1) My biggest complaint is the mis-use of the property by people other than hotel guests. On the day we checked in, I had to wait about 30 minutes before I could park our car and that was only because a hotel employee saw me waiting and pulled out of a space so I could park. During our stay, I noticed at least 3-5 cars each day that was parked at the hotel with no parking permit...this is unacceptable. Also to note, we noticed many people around the resort without resort bracelets. I'm sure most just didn't want to wear them but I would bet many were not guests of the hotel. In fact, during our stay in the new room, we noticed at least 10 different people crossing over from the time share next door with towels and chairs using the beach and pool. Really?
2) The noise level in the room we stayed in on the first floor was unacceptable. We were woken up by children running around above us at 5am. It sounded like the ceiling was a half inch thick and made of cardboard. For the price we paid for that room, we deserved better.

Room Tip: Second floor ONLY!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your recent stay and taking the time to review your room and the property. I will first address our parking here at Riviera Beach. The resort was built including the parking many years ago when 98 percent of our guests travelled in one car and stayed for more than two days. Today our guests typically bring 2 or more vehicles and this creates a shortage. We spend numerous hours each day managing our lots to insure each paying guest has ample parking. On extremely busy days it is not a perfect system and we apologize for you having to wait for parking. My suggestion is in the futrure, when we are sold out, if you can not find parking please return to guest check in parking and notify the desk and we will do everything in our power to get your car situated. With regards to outsiders using the property we issue wrist bands and parking permits for reigistered guest and we do our best to insure that all paying guests have full use of every ammentity we offer and if you do not I ask that you please contact the GM so I can attempt to rectify and uphold our private property for use by registered guests only. We certainly appreciate your comments and we continue to look for ways to make your stay desireable and relaxing. Hope to see you back next season!
Garrett Park
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Pro:
- Great location, with very nice private beach just steps away.
- Beach towels provided.
- Large rooms.

Con:
- Their WiFi did not work during most of our trip. It took me two days to convince them to pull the power plug out of their WiFi router, wait 10 seconds, and then stick it back in. That fixed the problem, but only for about 2 hours.

- The mattresses are hard as slabs of the local granite. I thought I was sleeping on a sheet of plywood. Kept rolling over all night, and was sore all over every morning.

Overall, not sure if we'd stay there again. The lack of WiFi was a pain (especially for my wife, who had to keep in touch with her office), but not a show-stopper. But the beds were so hard....

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool do have a nice view, but it's definitely quieter in the rooms not faci...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
RIVBEACHBassRiver, General Manager at Riviera Beach Resort - Bass River, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you for recent review. I have addressed the WIFI issue and we have installed a stronger AP antenna which has helped with connectivity on our property. The resort experienced a huge demand for the signal and our equipment at the time could not handle the demand. Our recent survey shows with our current guest profile, during our summer months, three devices are being used per room. When doing the math of 3 times the number of rooms we soon realized an upgrade was in store. We have completed that and invite you back and hopefully our new system can handle our guest WIFI needs. Thank you for your contiuned support!
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Expectations vs reality.

If you like EconoLodge or Best Western you will think this a fine hotel but rather pricey. If you travel a lot, have been to many destination resorts and have more discriminating tastes and money (Marriott or W, let's say), you will probably find things to pick at.

At $360 a night this is what I thought.

The Property: I would never pay that for this hotel by any means except that it is on the beach. And I find that Cape Cod would never be a destination beach by comparison unless you are already close by. The hotel/ motels are mostly old and with a short season, not kept as well as some warmer destinations. But this is the going rate. The location is pretty good. Half way between Hyannis and Chatham, two very quaint towns and short enough drive to either for a nice dinner. There is nothing within walking distance which we usually like to do. It is a pretty wide beach with nice white sand which they groom. Because the resort provides chairs and umbrellas unchecked there are a lot of people who come from the public beach next door and take advantage of the free accomodations so it is a bit crowded. Most of the people around us on the beach were not part of the resort. The water is cold (if you are not from the area), the seaweed is a problem, and the beach service is hit and miss. We saw a waitress 2 or 3 times in the 3 days we were there. And I have no idea what the $20 resort fee was for unless it was the beach chairs that the locals were using!!

The Rooms: It is a motel. We were in a renovated room but really the renovations were hard to distinguish. The walls are paper thin. Every step from upstairs and toilet flush from next door was shared. We used the air conditioning as a white noise filter. It had a bit of a musty odor and the double beds are tiny. Comfort is not concern here. They do have carpet that looks like it might have been replaced in the last 5+ years and they have tried to fix it up with decorative touches. The bath is stall size... small. It has a frig. The room is small. It isn't horrible, but it isn't a luxury resort either. What is great is the little back porch (we had ocean view) that opens to the courtyard around the pool. It has a great summer, neighborhood feel to it when you open the deck door.

Activities: We had older teenagers and there really was not a great deal for them. They advertised volleyball but no one coordinates anything so if you want to try to rally a game it is up to you. They have ski-dos and a banana boat if you want to spend more money but the water was so cold my kids decided to pass. It does have a lot for little kids so I assume they would love it. I would not stay here without wanting to experience little children.

Restaurants: We had lunch one day at Blue Water. Outdoor cafe with burgers, self serve. Again, resort ... of sorts. We had breakfast at the Riviera Beach restaurant. It is fine, nothing terribly wrong or right. We left the property for most meals.

I tried to be fair and balanced here. I expect for Cape Cod, this is pretty normal. Older converted motel charges for beach location. It is a mixed bag.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are planning more upgrades this winter and spring and we hope to see you back soon...
Sterling, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This was our second year at the Riviera. Our daughter just loves it. The Kid's Club (age 5 and up) is a such a huge hit, she wanted to participate every day we were there. It is obvious the counselors running the program really enjoy children and are great. The list of activities available is extensive. My daughter (and 4 little friends she met this year) were very excited to join in the beach yoga class. Too cute! Let's not forget to mention the dive-in movies, hermit crab races, beach party, kite making, dance lessons and more. And while the young 'uns are off, Mom and Dad can enjoy a cocktail at the bar or order poolside. The staff is courteous and friendly. On the day we checked out, even the young man in charge of beach towels asked if we enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious and clean, equiped with fridge, tv, and hair dryer. It was adequate for the three of us and the amount of time we actually spent in it. Having access to the beach, an outoor pool and indoor pool covers all the bases. The outdoor pool at the Riviera is especially great for little ones - zero entry and a lot of fun. If you enjoy the beach more, staff will gladly set up and umbrella and chairs for you. Beach towels are also provided. The sand is soft and clean. The water can get a fair amount of seaweed, but that's Mother Nature. Our daughter rode the banana boat last year. This year she and I went parasailing together from a sister resort down the street ~ an experience we will talk about for a long time. If you're looking for peace and quiet then this is probably not the place for you. It is really geared toward families and there are many children running, splashing, playing, yelling and just having the time of their lives. If you're looking for a "kid friendly" environment on the beach, I'm not sure there's any place better on the Cape.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
We strive to enhance all our guest vacations with a multitde of family activities. The resorts are very popular with families of all ages and sizes. Please visit again at one of our seven resorts.
Thank you for your continued support!
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have stayed at the Red Jacket Resorts several times with my children and this past weekend was very disappointing (July 28 - July 31). We were vacationing with 2 other families and their children as we have in the past few summers. The kids absolutely love the pool at the Riviera. This past week, the "mushroom" fountain was not working. It was a bit disappointing, but it did not take away from the enjoyment of the pool until we returned home. I had to take my children to the pediatrician as soon as we got home because they both were complaining of pain in their ear. Sure enough, the Pediatrician asked "where were you swimming, and was the water filtered and clean?" I then called the other two families who were also vacationing with us and 7 out of the 9 children all have Swimmers Ear. I know Swimmers Ear can be common in children during the summer, but it was too much of a coincidence that almost all the children developed this infection from pool water bacteria.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
The pools are maintained to a very high standard and we have not heard of such a problem.The review you posted has to be incorrect. Our research shows no other complaints however we took the time to look at all our readings, which we do 4-5 times daily and
there are no signs of any of them being irregular during the time you visited or any other days this summer. The large mushroom did have a two day mechanical problem and we apologize for that. We corrected that issue and it has been operating fine since. Hope
to see you back at one of our seven resorts soon.
Sterling, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

This was our second year at the Riviera. Our daughter just loves it. The Kid's Club (age 5 and up) is a such a huge hit, she wanted to participate every day we were there. It is obvious the counselors running the program really enjoy children and are great. The list of activities available is extensive. My daughter (and 4 little friends she met this year) were very excited to join in the beach yoga class. Too cute! Let's not forget to mention the dive-in movies, hermit crab races, beach party, kite making, dance lessons and more. And while the young 'uns are off, Mom and Dad can enjoy a cocktail at the bar. The staff is courteous and friendly. On the day we checked out, even the young man in charge of beach towels asked if we enjoyed our stay. Our room was spacious and clean, equiped with fridge, tv, and hair dryer. It was fine for the amount of time we actually spent in it. Having access to the beach, an outoor pool and indoor pool covers all the bases. The outdoor pool at the Riviera is especially great for little ones - zero entry and fun. If you enjoy the beach more, staff will gladly set up and umbrella and chairs for you. The sand is soft and clean. The water can get a fair amount of seaweed, but that's Mother Nature. Our daughter rode the banana boat last year. This year she and I went parasailing together from a sister resort down the street ~ an experience we will talk about for a long time. If you're looking for peace and quiet then this is probably not the place for you. It is really geared toward families and there are many children running, splashing, playing, yelling and just having the time of their lives. If you're looking for a "kid friendly" environment on the beach, I'm not sure there's any place better on the Cape.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
The Red Jacket Resort is now and always been a great place for children and families. We build them for enjoyment by all however families seem to really appreciate all we have to offer. During the summer season our Kids Klub operates six days a week and the programs are very popular year after year. Please come visit us again and we thank you so very much!

Been to Riviera Beach Resort - Bass River? Share your experiences!