“Great Value” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Gull Wing Suites

Save Saved
You added Gull Wing Suites to your Saves list
Gull Wing Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   822 Route 28, 822 Main Street, South Yarmouth, MA 02664   |
Ranked #21 of 22 hotels in South Yarmouth
Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey
“Great Value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Just returned home today after spending 3 nights with friends. Not the nicest hotel by any means, however, you can't beat the value. Our mistake was waiting too long to book and we were given smoking rooms without our knowledge. When we went down to the front desk to complain, they told us that there were no non smoking rooms avaiilable. Just wish they had mentioned this fact when we booked 4 months prior. Smell was disgusting and we had to go out and buy sprays and candles to try and mask the odor. In my experience, most hotels are now non smoking, and we never thought to ask, so I guess it was our mistake. Front desk staff seemed to have a bit of an attitude.

We have been going to the Irish Village for many years prior to their move this year to the Gull Wing Suites and here is my opinion good & bad:

*Love the fact that the new rooms have kitchenettes with mini fridges, microwaves and sinks, however, they do not supply you with ANY kitchen supplies AT ALL (ie. plates, cups, utensils) which is no big deal as long as you know this going in.

* All rooms are mini suites with 2 double beds and pull out sofa with 2 TV's. Great channel selection. Comfortable mattresses on the beds, but the sofa beds are not so comfortable.

*Upstairs rooms have balconies, however,downstairs rooms have no outside access at all and there are no elevators, so if you cannot climb stairs and desire outside access, this is not the place for you. If you do end up with an upstairs room, ask at check in, they will have someone help you with your luggage. We had Jimmy who was great!!

*Do miss the fact that the old Irish Village had picnic tables right outside the doors of the downstairs rooms.

*Hotel could definately use renovations, especially the carpeting throughout (rooms, hallways, restaurant ), Furniture/decor as well, but not that big a deal.

*Restaurant service a little slow, staff very nice, but just be prepared for a leisurely meal.

*For those of you who have been to the old Irish Village, you will probably be disappointed in the set up of the new restaurant/pub. You will not be able to see the band/entertainment and dance floor from most tables as you could at the old Irish Village unless you are right up front. However, those tables are reserved for parties of 10 our more. A bit of a let down.

*Ok, with all said and done, we are definately going back next year. Don't expect a 5 star hotel or meals, however, you cannot beat the value. We got the 3 night package deal which included 3 breakfasts and 2 dinners. Food was very good and we had a great time! Next year we are getting the 4 night package.

For those of you on a budget, this is a great value. Hope this helps!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

63 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Aachen, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2010

Stayed for two nights at the Gull Wing Suites.
The room size was good. There was a small kitchenette and sofa with an extra tv.
The fan in the bathroom was really loud. The room, especially the bathroom, had a bad odor probably from cleaning agents.
There hasn't been any cutlery in the kitchen.
Everything looked worn out, but okay. The room had two tvs, a refridgerator, microwave. Free Wifi was in lobby area only.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

It was all right. I was a little surprised that they asked for payment up front. I thought that was a little weird. The lobby was clean and gave a nice view of the pool, but my entrance was around the side of the building and when I walked in there was plaster or something all over the floor. I was in the hotel for two days and so was the plaster.

My room was fine, television fine, shower fine. The spa was nice. I got a good massage.

I was quite unhappy with the indoor pool. I was really looking forward to a relaxing soak in the jacuzzi, and when I went down at 10:00 p.m. it was filled with children ranging in age from about 6 to about 16. They were screaming loudly (as children will do) but it didn't make for a nice quiet evening. I believe that they should have a quiet hour in the pool. After 8:00 or even 9:00 no one under 16.

I wouldn't recommended this for an extended vacation stay, but I thought it was fine for the two nights that I was there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Hawthorne, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband and I along with our 5- and 15-year old daughters just returned from a week's stay at Gull WIng Suites. The room was perfect for our needs with 2 twin beds in one room and a double bed and couch in the other. The indoor and outdoor pools along with the small playground kept my little one happy and the game room was given high marks from my teenager. My husband took advantage of a massage at the spa and I happily sat by the pool with a book. The staff were helpful and friendly. Is it the Taj Mahal? No, but we felt at home, comfortable and had a great experience. We are looking at dates to book for next summer.

• Stayed August 2010
Grapevine, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights at the Gull Wing Suites, a couple weeks back. We were looking for a cheap Cape getaway. The hotel came up on our searches - on Expedia, Priceline and TripAdvisor. For the price we paid per night, the hotel was better than I expected, but definitely needs a bit of work. Their website states that they will be undergoing renovations in 2010 and it looks they are making progress. It has good-size indoor & outdoor pools, a game room, function rooms, small gym, sauna, jacuzzi, hotel bar and complimentary coffee hour every morning.

Our room had a new kitchenette with fridge, a pull-out couch, a king bed, and large bathroom. It was clean, so clean that at first sniff it smelled like cleaning solution. The fixtures and furniture were out-dated, probably on the upgrade list.

SHORT STORY: The in-room hair dryer was old and broken - it actually blew a fuse! Looked like the maintenance man was new and had no idea what to do. He searched around the room a few times, looking for the circuit breaker. We were on our way out and hoped that he could get the electricity back on. He must have figured it out, it was all working again when we returned.

I didn't sleep very well, the bed was hard and the linens were a bit starchy. Two items of note, the AC worked perfectly and the bathroom had a HUGE shower - equipped for the disabled if need be.

SHORT STORY: After a long day at the beach (a quick drive away), we took a swim in the 'heated' indoor pool. The water was lukewarm yet refreshing after a long day on the sand. We also made a trip to KC's Lounge - the hotel's new bar - across from the pool deck. It was small and is definitely lacking in atmosphere. They serve a variety of beer & liquor but there is no food option (a vending machine is right outside the door ;). The bartender was reading a newspaper and watching Dateline.... music or something less morbid on TV would have been nice. Word is that they will be expanding their bar (complete with a new menu) in the near future. For now, bringing the booze back to the room will be your best bet.

The location is great. It's located right on Rt 28, a short walk to Pirate's Cove mini golf, restaurants, and souvenir shops. The beach is just a short drive (or 2 mile walk) away.

In all, I give this hotel an average score - 3 stars for affordability, location, cleanliness and amenities. If they keep working on the renovations, I'd go back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
conneticut, usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

More negatives than positives. Positives: Great Location, nice lobby and indoor pool, pleasant staff. Negatives: Rooms are very dated but clean. One TV did not get all CATV channels. Building is in need of much cleaning and painting. Outdoor balconies in rooms on 2nd floor overlooking the pool area are badly in need of cleaning and paint. Chairs provided on balconies looks like they came from Big Lots for $4.99, pathetic. Vinyl siding on building was absolutely filthy with mildew and dirt. Landscaping anywhere around the build, other than the front is non existant. There are many other competitive places in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

the place was clean, the pool area was very clean and open until 11pm and the guy who cleaned the pool was very friendly. The location was great and easy to find. We had a great time and i will recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to Gull Wing Suites? Share your experiences!