“Terribly managed but great property” 3 of 5 stars

You added Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites to your Saves list
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   97 S. Shore Dr., South Yarmouth, MA 02664   |
Ranked #10 of 22 hotels in South Yarmouth
“Terribly managed but great property”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

First of all, the hotel is directly on the beach and the rooms are spacious and comfortable, but we had to put up with terrible mis-management of this otherwise incredible property. When I made the reservation, I confirmed there was an indoor pool. After all a kids' vacation can be ruined with rainy days. I also asked for and paid for a courtyard room. Check-in time was listed as 3:00. We arrived at 2:40 and were told it would be 20 minutes until our room was ready but we could change in their changing room and go to the beach to wait. Also, both the I door and outdoor pool were being renovated and were closed. We went to the changing room, but it was filthy and smelly and decided against making use of it. We walked in the lovely beach and 40 minutes later went to check on the room...not ready, just a little longer they said, well, it was after 5:00 when we got our room and it overlooked the parking lot. We explained that we had paid for a courtyard room, but they insisted that what any reasonable person would call a courtyard room was, in their eyes, a partial ocean view. Other than the view the room was spacious and nice. However mis-management continued and the next 2 days the room wasn't made-up until after 6:00 PM! I complained and then it was typically done in the late morning. But the worst of all was the day there was a notice on the door saying there would be no hot water from 9:00 until 5:00 on that same day as they were working on the system! Good thing my kids and I got up early, but it did change our plans drastically with no notice. After all who wants to be sandy all day when you leave the beach. Lastly, had one rainy day and were told we could use their hotel inHyannis, got to that hotel and the folks there looked totally surprised by our request but told us we could and directed us to the indoor pool, but guess what, no place to get changed to use it! Had to change in a bathroom that was a courtyard and three long corridors away. Could be a great hotel if only someone were actively managing guest relations and who plans a major renovation to a cape hotel in August, the very height of tourist season and if you do, wouldn't you let people know in advance or discount the rooms a bit because of the terrible inconvenience?

Room Tip: Courtyard view = parking lot Partial Ocean view = courtyard Ocean view could be either a full ocea...

173 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Needham, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

Had fairly high expectation and booked an ocean view room for 4 days vacations.
Upon arrival we walked into the dark room looking onto the active contraction site. I asked about the view at the front desk and was told that “ocean view” means that I should be able to walk out of the room and see the ocean at some point. Also, I was told that they mentioned about on-site construction on the front page of their website. This is completely untrue and can be easily checked.
I had to leave immediately. Had an excellent time at the Colony Beach motel in Dennisport. Highly recommend this place.
But the trouble is not over yet. Just found that Ocean Mist charged my card for the 4 days I have not stayed there. Now I have to report fraudulent charges to credit card and deal with it.
Save yourself a trouble before considering the booking.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We took a rather last minute trip to Cape Cod. Every place we wanted to stay was booked so I called hotels.com for assistance. She recommended Ocean Mist and I booked it prior to reading any reviews. I apologized to the family ahead of time in case it was REALLY bad. We were pleasantly surprised. The location is excellent, away from the traffic and crowds. It's a great area to run, walk, cycle. We booked an oceanview suite for my husband and I and 16 year old son and another for my MIL. Son was ecstatic that he had his own place to crash upstairs complete with balcony and TV. Beds were comfy and small kitchenette was convenient. The website did warn us that the indoor pool was under construction and they were in the process of building an outdoor pool (which looks very small) and a hot tub. People working the front desk didn't seem to know a lot about the area, but I didn't expect a concierge. A local told us that the place used to be a timeshare and didn't survive. Not surprising - even with the new decor - paint, wallpaper, carpets - you could tell it wasn't a particularly well built building. Floors were punky and uneven under the carpet and it looked like the ceiling had been patched numerous times. Lobby was dreary and bathroom off lobby is a disgrace. Others complained that their view was of the parking lot. Well, all rooms do look over the parking lot due to the design, but also have ocean views. In my travels around the area I didn't see any other hotel/motel that didn't have views of their parking lots. You can walk to the Skipper restaurant which was popular and excellent - supposedly the best Clam Chowder in Cape Cod, possibly the world! Overall the Ocean Mist met our needs quite nicely.

Room Tip: You definitely want to be on the second floor, not the ground floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just visited for 2 nights with my wife and 2 small children. Remarkable location..the hotel is literally steps from the beach - so if "right-on-the-beach" is your #1 priority for Cape Cod hotels, for under $200 per night on average, this is the place. Yes, the indoor pool was under construction...and the outdoor pool construction is not particularly esthetic, but for us it was a non-issue.....and I'm actually looking forward to coming back when both are complete.

Pros: Did I mention the location? And all rooms appear to have kitchenettes which is ideal for families with small children.
Cons: Room Service wasn't up to par standards

Rensselaer, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Well to start the hotel gave away the room we reserved. when we told them that the room they put us in was not the room we were suppose to have they lied to us and said that the only difference in rooms was $10. we booked a room with a full working kitchen(no ta kitchenette)so we could save a bit of money. we brought a ton of food with us that almost went to waste except that we iced the heck out of it. then they told us that they didnt have any rooms like what we were describing.. on the second day we were there house cleaning left the doors open on some of the rooms close to us so we peeked into one and it had a full kitchen, so we knew right then that they gave away our room. this place also advertises a indoor pool, and out door pool, a hot tub and a fire pit... all these thing were lies as they were all just being built..really bad expereince and will never go back

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Was not told that the indoor pool would be out of commision when I made my reservations in May. I travel to this "resort" as a gift for my daughter and grandchildren. Upon arrival I was extremely dissappointed to realize there would be no pool for the children. The childred love the indoor pool!! Talk about disappointed. What was I going to do with three children and no pool. For the price I was paying, I was VERY disappointed with the condition of the "resort". Construction all around and no pool. What a mess.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Newington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This is our third summer staying at the Ocean Mist. The room have been renovated and the furniture and the bathrooms have been upgraded. This summer the pool was out of commission since they're renovating that too...and they're building an outdoor pool and hot tub...can't wait for next summer.

The rooms were already nice..especially the loft suite with a bedroom upstairs, tv, closet and separate balcony. Nice for a family stay. There's a small kitchenette with cupcoards, a mini fridge, sink, coffee maker and microwave.

Your room is steps from the beach which is private. It doesn't get better than that!

We come and go a lot which I'm sure doesn't help the folks that clean up the rooms so I just call the front desk and tell them when we won't be in the room so they can clean up while we're out. It worked out great for us.

I think it's a great value for the price -- and you have the added bonus of the private beach. Our family loves it there!

Room Tip: Loft suites are two floors and spacious for bigger families.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!