“Mediocre at best” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Oak n' Spruce Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Lee
Oak n' Spruce Resort
You added Oak n' Spruce Resort to your Saves list
190 Meadow Street, PO Box 237, South Lee, MA 01260   |
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Mediocre at best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed here for a week recently when someone my wife knew offered us a week for a very reasonable price. We got put in what I can only describe as one of the "old" buildings...I would guess it was last renovated sometime in the mid to early nineties. Low end appliances, awful carpet, forced air heat with a weird musky kind of odor, beds that were hard as a rock, and old "curved-screen" TVs...maybe 27"? Seriously?? In 2013???

The staff that we encountered was for the most part friendly...although the poor pool guy had to get tough a couple of times when some of the hordes of people in the "kiddie hot tub" refused his repeated directions to only have 6 people in there at a time.

The pool area was OK...very clean, but dated in a 1970's YMCA kind of way...and very few chairs available. It looked like the outdoor pool, mini-golf, tennis, etc. would be pretty nice, but being February, it was all covered in snow/ice. The arcade was avarage but unimpressive.

I don't know what the normal costs are for this place...if I had paid more than a couple hundred dollars for the week, I would have been pretty upset. However, I'd be willing to bet it is more fun in the summer when the outdoor stuff is open...and it does look like they have some nice units...but I know we didn't get one of them!

Room Tip: Unknown but avoid building 10!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Houston, Texas, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I won the free trip with a chance to win a car, cash, gift card, or vacation. The 90-minute tour was interesting, engaging, and I LOVED our representative, Barry. Every single person we talked to or even saw would wave, say Hi, ask how they could help, and directed us to where we needed to be, even when we showed up nearly 15 minutes late. The facilities were all VERY clean, and while the place seems older, they have newer lodgings and are in the midst of building their 3rd pool, which will be 100-someodd ft by 80 ft. They told us about any taxes and such up front, we got our free vacation, and even though we didn't win the car or anything we got our second vacation! My sister and I ended up buying a biennial with them. Their prices do NOT start at $19k, I have no idea what drugs that one person was doing, they are selling shares at $15,500, and while the interest is very high, our monthly payment is so low we will be able to double up and triple up on payments, so we will have it paid off before it gets crazy. You can pay for it all at once and pay that $15.5k and not have to deal with the interest. We got a great deal because a family had upgraded, so their deed was already half paid off, so I got my share for $7500 and $177 a month. Do not show up just for the free trip, because you will get disappointed and YOU will cause problems for them, because I have read about people just going for the prizes and end up mad that they have to do the tour and that the prizes require some sort of money. Such as, I have to buy a passport, but with my husband in the military, I was getting one anyway. I am sending my mother on a week-trip to Germany, and this is an EXCELLENT idea for anyone who loves travel or enjoys short trips. I live right near 2 resorts, so we go hang out during the day and I sell nights to my friends, so it has been nothing but amazing. Again, the entire staff was beyond helpful and friendly, the place was VERY clean, everyone was polite and even personable, we didn't have to pay for our appointment, and this place is NOT A SCAM! The people who go just for prizes call it a scam because they went for ALL the wrong reasons, truly. The activities they have are awesome! Most are free, some require money but it's WAY cheaper than doing it elsewhere. I paid $75 for my first hr-long trail ride, and then $82 for my second in another state. Here, it's $18 an hour, so I will be doing that often! Just a fine example. Different resorts offer different things, so you're not playing the same putt-putt at every one!

Room Tip: Book as early as you possibly can! This is a first come first serve deal, because you aren't the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
West Nyack, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend w another who owns the timeshare. It was great! Very roomy, cozy bedrooms, and loved that we had our own bathroom too. It's def a great choice for a fun couples weekend or for families. We hope to go back over the summer!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Holyoke, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

The resort is always booked during the winter for the sking in the area. During the summer they have concerts and plays in the area. Living only 45min away its a nice place to go and get away.

We were there Christmas for 4 days and there were no special activities for the adults and families to get together. During the summer there is the pool ,golf,swing,fishing etc. During the winter I think it would be something special to have an ice skating rink,snow shoes, a little more thought into their schedule.

Each visit that we made in the past 6 months we have had some type of matenience problems that should be easy to fix but they weren't. The sheets on the bed were inexpensive and the bed wouldn't stay made. The toilet seat was broken they came in and "fixed" it but you couldn't use it the rest of the week. There were 2 window casing that was secured by velcro.that fell during the night..I was concerned about the safety near the tub and the shower. There were no hand rails near the tub and it was slippery it seemed like the cleaners needed to rinse out the tub . If my husband wasn't there I would have fallen.

I feel that you should have free wi/fi I went 4 days without being able to do any work. getting dressed and going down to the lobby isn't my type of vacation.

Rooms have improved and some have vcrs and DVDS but you shouldn't have to pay ,I believe $5 for a movie. They have washers and dryers in the rooms. Thank You

Room Tip: Go early so if you don't like your room you will have something to choose from. No too good for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I exchanged from another timeshare for this resort. I was skeptical because of the reviews, but I wanted to visit the Berkshires area. The front desk was helpful to place my family in a unit without stairs as I had requested. The unit was clean and spacious, although not new, it had been recently updated. The decor was rustic (furniture was fashioned from tree branches), so if you are looking for a marble bathroom and gas ovens, this is not for you. Also the TVs were not flat-screen, but a great touch was the hooks on the walls at the front door and in the bedrooms. How handy for wet coats not to be hanging over dining room chairs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

The best thing about this “resort” is its location. It is close to numerous historical, architectural and cultural attractions. It is also in proximity of a wide range of restaurants, whether you are looking for a quick fix or a superior dining experience. And of course in October, the wonderful rolling hills of the Berkshires with their bright display of fall colours were an attraction in themselves.
However, this “resort” falls far short of providing its guest with the hospitality experience you would expect from its ratings.
If you are nostalgic for the “cabin” experience of wood-stick furniture, rustic cleanliness and your Uncle Bob’s “gone fishing” 1970 basement décor, then this place is for you! We were treated to a basement entrance unit, stuck behind the parking retaining wall. Within an hour of settling down we had to call maintenance to fix two stove elements which were not functional… the unit was equipped with 1980 bulky TV sets and their connection was so bad that most channels were hard to view for the electronic snow across the screen… The units do not have washers and dryers and we had to cart our clothes to the resort Laundromat where half the equipment was out of order and where the working washers and dryers swallowed a few dollars worth of quarter (change can only be made at a machine in the reception area).
Upon our arrival, we soon found out that Wi-Fi was NOT available from any of the units (nor was it available from the Laundromat). In order to plan our day and do some basic research online, we had to take a walk to the Reception building in order to connect to the net. That, too was another “cabin experience”, with 1960 water-stained ceiling tiles and a gaggle of 20 something ill kept resort staff carrying on over the guests’ heads, a blaring TV set over in the corner, a lineup of customer waiting for their fast food fix, a procession of unit sales staff leading googly eyed young prospective buyers…. obviously, if you are an adept of Skype or such system to keep in “voice and picture” contact with your family and friends, forget about conversation privacy.
Altogether, we found the experience somewhat disappointing… but don’t take me wrong we sometimes enjoy the rustic camp/cabin atmosphere, however this time this was not what we had I mind. And we trusted the RCI rating. We were looking for a true resort where guests are treated like guests, where the staff shows some individual care and does not call you “bud” and where management of the place does not show crass “nickel and diming” thoughtless efficiency for the purpose of making a profit… either this resort is trying to keep afloat and is attempting to rearrange the deck-chairs on the Titanic to avoid sinking or it is plainly reducing its sense of hospitality to make a buck! Either way, their unit sales staff needs to learn to talk faster and make some quick sales to keep the company afloat.
Some say that you can judge an airline by the level of cleanliness of the on board food trays, simply because such a detail is a reflects on engine maintenance… you could also say that you can judge the good sense of hospitality of a resort by the quality of its toilet paper or the attention you get from a well trained staff. If that is truly the case, this “resort” is failing on these two accounts… and on many other small details which by themselves do not seem to matter much but which in this instance painted a pretty shabby picture.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
South Berwick, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a week of timeshare but ended up only staying 2 nights because of other commitments. The unit - #278 was clean and spacious and when the hot water heater quit - they were quick to respond. It is kind of strange that you have to go down a flight of stairs only to climb back up 2 flights of stairs to get to the unit. The grounds are kept nice and the check-in staff was friendly. My only complaint was the smell in the activity building. They need to either change out the carpets or get a better air freshening system. We played mini-golf and that was fun. We did not use the pool but there were people in there having a good time. There is plenty to do in the area and the Normal Rockwell Museum should not be missed. I can't say I would go back to this particular resort but I am glad that we stayed there.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room closer to the activities building if you have kids.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Oak n' Spruce Resort? Share your experiences!