“Beautiful house, not so beautiful breakfast” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Daniel Stebbins House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in South Hadley
Daniel Stebbins House
You added Daniel Stebbins House to your Saves list
25 Woodbridge Street, South Hadley, MA 01075   |
Ranked #1 of 2 South Hadley B&B and Inns
Wilmot, NH
“Beautiful house, not so beautiful breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Daniel Stebbins house this Feb. 14th. We stayed in the Cream Room (#3) and it was delightful. Nice furnishings and the gas fire felt wonderful on a chilly day. I agree with others that the bathroom was small but well appointed. Our big disappointment was the breakfast part of our stay. Anne, the hostess, works during the week and she left good coffee but the rest was an assortment of cold foods. We were able to make toast and put together a decent meal with fruit and yogurt but it wasn't the yummy breakfast we were expecting based on other reviews.
The location is great and we were able to walk to the restaurant that she suggested (Food 101 Bar & Bistro) and to the library where my husband was doing some genealogical research.

Room Tip: The Cream room fronted on a side street and was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Brunswick, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here on our anniversary trip in June of 2012. It is very clean and the innkeepers were very gracious. The food was excellent. The B&B is a short walk to the town area. We love this area of Massachusetts.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

I stayed in the Daniel Stebbins house during June, 2010. The room I stayed in (room 1) was very very clean. The furnishings were beautiful. I especially liked the oriental rug and the fire place. The bath room was very clean but small. It was fine for me (5'4" and 140 lbs) but might be tight for a very large person. The house was quiet. The breakfast was nice and the host very friendly. It is easy walking distance to Mt Holyoke College. The bed spread was white, so I would be very reluctant to bring very small children here.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

If you find yourself in South Hadley, Massachusetts you really must stay at the Daniel Stebbins House! I went up to South Haley for the first time in November on a business trip and on a recommendation stayed at the Daniel Stebbins House and I was quite surprised at the friendliness and openness of Anne the proprietress. She was always available to attend to our needs. Our room was beautiful, comfortable, and quite romantic. We loved it so much that we stayed there again in February and it was even better that we remembered it especially since we had the opportunity to experience Anne's fabulous breakfast!! I highly recommend this Bed and Breakfast if you need a sweet little getaway or an escape that will relight the spark in your relationship.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2010

I highly recommend the Daniel Stebbins Bed and Breakfast if you are looking for a quiet, unique, romantic escape. The first time my partner and I stayed at this beautiful B&B was quite by accident. The B&B where we were supposed to stay made an error with our reservation but thankfully someone recommended that I call Anne the proprietor of the Daniel Stebbins’s House. Well, needless to say it was love at first sight! Anne was absolutely wonderful. She was very welcoming, accommodating, and informative. She recommended a fabulous restaurant not too far from the B&B. She showed us to our room which was absolutely amazing! It was beautiful and tastefully appointed. There was a gas fire place, a very comfortable queen sized canopy bed, hard wood floors, and a gorgeous armoire that held a small but adequate flat screen television. Needless to say, my partner and I stayed there again in February and were just as pleased! We stayed in a different room that was just as beautiful, comfortable, and romantic. Every room in this B&B is unique and tastefully appointed. Anne made us feel like family and it helps that she makes a mean breakfast! We definitely look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
La Honda, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

The Daniel Stebbins House (not Inn, as described here in Trip Advisor) in South Hadley is a charming B&B with 4 rooms on the upstairs level (this is not an accessible place if you don't like stairs). All 4 are very nicely furnished with period pieces. I stayed in the Red Room (#1) which has a queen-sized bed and private bath. The B&B is located just a couple of blocks from "downtown" South Hadley and Mount Holyoke College, an easy walk.

The room was clean and inviting. The bed was very comfortable -- a padded mattress cover made it soft, and the down comforter on top was very welcome, even in August (the days were warm but the nights chilled down). I slept very well in this big bed. :-)

I stayed on a Friday night -- weekend rates are $10/night more but you get a full breakfast the next day. The breakfast was scrambled eggs done the way I like (on the soft side), a coffee cake (which I didn't try, being diabetic, but it looked good!), fresh fruit cut up in a bowl, breads/english muffins, orange juice (they produced V8 for me, since I can't have fruit juice) and dry cereal (boxed). No meat (bacon, etc.) though.

The other rooms (yes, I peeked in since the doors were open!) were furnished just as nicely as mine. One room had two beds instead of the one large one, and one had a 4-poster bed that was so high off the ground, it had a stepstool! The proprietress, Ann Furnelli, was very friendly and helpful.

I will definitely stay here again when I get the chance! I was just lucky that the on-campus hotel I was staying at (Willits-Hallowell Center at Mount Holyoke College) had a conference booked so I couldn't extend my stay one more day, forcing me to find another place. Nothing like serendipity!

• Liked — Clean, nicely furnished and comfortable rooms, convenient location to S. Hadley
  • Disliked — Slow internet connection
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

I was so disappointed with this B&B--the bed was old and lumpy (I had a headache the next day from no sleep), the decor was gaudy and the breakfast was the bare minimum. The male owner (who was supposedly cooking) was rude and critical when we said we don't eat eggs and then suggested we dip into the Thomas English muffins. And their coffee--I haven't tasted coffee this poor since the 80's.

If it had cost $50 a night, I may not have posted this--but $135.00 a night!!! No thank you...I'd have preferred our car or the MHC athletic field.

• Liked — Close to MHC
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Daniel Stebbins House? Share your experiences!