“nice place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“nice place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

great food, lots of local history, everything we ate was made from scratch, loved the warm popovers, easy to get to, with the hotel schuttle

Visited February 2012

75% Recommend
north carolina
“BEST SEAFOOD CASSEROLE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The restaurant feels rather old fashioned and dated. Large place with a busy bar in an industrial part of Boston near the water, rough neighborhood, not typical picturesque -- but like going back in time to the 1950's. Real people Boston. Much more interesting experience than many of the limp over prettified fancy places in downtown and Cambridge, and the food is one he** of a bit better than most restaurants I've been to in this part of the world. Especially the seafood casserole -- wonderful! This was truly one of the finest dishes I have ever had ( still, I would like to tell the owner to remove the imitation crab from this dish -- put in some lobster in its place and raise the price from $9.99 to 12.99)-- then it would be spectacular. The scallops, shrimp, ? haddock, ect. , -- this is beyond amazing.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“It has been better before...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Used to go there for lobster, however last time we went, lobster was small and much more expensive than before...

Not sure we will come back though! Hope after all the renovations on that area, they get their act together.

Visited October 2011
Boston
“Unbelievable - in a BAD way”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

In short:

My girlfriend ordered Filet Mignon. First it came out raw, then it came back microwaved grey. But the real kicker. They decided, without telling us, to substitute Hollandaise sauce for Béarnaise Sauce beacuse they ran out of Bearnaise. Then the manager tried to blame our waitress for not noticing.

So when I complained about the bill - including a $40 charge for a mediocre lobster dinner, the manager cops an attitude "Well, we didn't charge you for the meal". Yes, but you charged us for mine and all our drinks. How nice of you not to charge us for something that we did not order and did not eat. What if someone was allergic to an ingredient in Hollandaise sauce? So, after a bit more complaining on my end they took her two wines off the bill.

If I was manager, I would have apologized and said everything was on us. Really bad way to conduct a business.

Shanghai, China
“What a wonderful time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

Every time I go back to Boston there are certain places that I have to visit... Many of them do not live up to the memories I have, but this is one place that always gives me what I expect and more.
Go with a group and order the twin lobsters as "side dishes" like I and my friends did and you will have more food than you know what to do with - and all of it great. We also had a fisherman's platter that was perfect, you could taste the seafood (not to much breading and not greasy), a prime rib that was cooked exactly as it should have been and a nicely done Salmon....
And the fresh popovers were a fabulous start to a wonderful meal! My only complaint was that I was too full for desert (If they had had grapenut custard I would have found room!)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere