“Get ready to wait...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch
Buffalo, New York
“Get ready to wait...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

...and wait. When I went, the wait was two hours and forty-five minutes. The brunch was out of this world. The waffles come with a mountain of fruit on top-- grapes and apples, even some more obscure types, like starfruit. I had a creme brulee coffee that was just delicious. I don't know how often I'd return based on the wait, but I would love to go again if it wasn't too crowded. I think everyone should go at least once.

• Visited September 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Cambridge
“Overrated. Don't believe the hype.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

SoundBites is a perfectly average breakfast spot. It is wildly overrated as a fantastic place to eat brunch. Don't believe the hype.

I judge a brunch place by three things: 1) Eggs benedict 2) Corned beef hash 3) Homefries.

I had all three of these at SoundBites last week and they were all average. Hollandaise sauce on the eggs benedict did not seem homemade, and if it was, it wasn't good. Poached eggs weren't consistent either.

Corned beef hash didn't taste homemade either, and if it was, it wasn't good.

Homefries are maybe polarizing, as some people love the mashed potato style, but it's not for me, and I didn't find it to be well executed.

Bottom line, there is absolutely no reason to wait in line for a brunch that is this mediocre. It's not terrible, and I think the service is much better than I remember it 5 or so years ago, but it's just not that great. A lot of Somerville's very good restaurants now do weekend brunches, which are better options, and a place like Renee's Cafe is miles ahead of SoundBites, without all of the hype and lines.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Large variety of speciality coffees.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012 via mobile

Many specialty coffees, at least three were available on a Saturday morning. For dinning in there is also never ending coffee option, I made sure to stay extra long to try more flavors;). Only ordered eggs and toast for food, which was good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Jersey
“Excellent Breakfast & Service. Best of Somerville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I used to live in Cambridge and frequent breakfast restaurants in Cambridge, Somerville & Boston and this one is my favorite! They are always busy and always boasting great ratings which tells you a lot!

They have a big menu with a lot of options. I got the 2(cubed) Royale - Eggs, French Toast, Toast, Sausage. So much food. I couldn't even eat it all.

It also has open air seating (garage-style doors) so you can eat in the fresh air. They used to be located in a smaller space and you definitely felt rushed to eat and get out but now it's a little more relaxed but lots of people rushing around - it's a busy place! Drinks are self-service (coffee, water, juice) but there is also a bar for adult beverages if you please!

I highly recommend Soundbites to anyone in the Ball Square/Tufts/Somerville/Cambridge area!

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Save your money! Worst restaurant in Boston!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

It's simple: SOUND BITES NEEDS TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS!!

The food is NOT FRESH, as confirmed by the manager. The service is reprehensible.

Here's what I had:
Corn beef hash - it tasted like a SALT BOMB. I asked if it was normally so salty and the response was a resounding YES. Rather than take responsibility for giving customers food that is over-salted, the manager told me it's the beef vendor's fault. Since the food was not edible I asked for something else. I chose the "real crab meat" eggs benedict.

The "real (OUT OF A CAN) crab meat" eggs benedict made the disgusting corn beef hash taste good. The crab was almost as mushy as my grilled mashed potato. The tomatoes on the eggs benny were not very fresh. The grilled mash was cold on the outside, warm on the inside. I have every reason to believe this was pre-made and left under a heat lamp. The poached egg was the worst part of this dish. How can something be worse than the mushy, from a can, crab meat? The poached eggs were practically hard boiled. They tried to cover it up with the gross hollandaise sauce. I can't believe the chef would allow such a disaster on a plate to leave his/her kitchen. What a mess!!!

My friend ordered the Royale Breakfast with an egg white, mushroom and cheese scramble, bacon, and french toast. The cheese on the scramble wasn't melted properly. It was more like an afterthought. The flavor was bland. The french toast was not fresh. It was not even warm enough to melt the butter that was placed on it. We think it may have come out of the microwave, but are not sure. Also, they never once made an effort to take a drink order from my friend.

***If the food portion of this review doesn't keep you away from Sound Bites, then maybe the service aspect will.***

The restaurant is lucky to be busy because of the local college students that are constantly pouring in and out of there. The food is cheap enough so that you don't feel like you wasted A LOT of money. So if it's bad, you will probably just suck it up.

I was asked how my meal was and I expressed my displeasure each time. Each time my opinion fell on deaf ears. The manager was like The TEFLON DON. He listened, but gave an excuse for everything that was wrong with the meal and service. The beef is salty due to the supplier. The crab meat is mushy due to coming out of a can. The eggs were poached before they came out of the kitchen. BLAH BLAH BLAH... Everything was associated with an excuse and the manager didn't care if we liked it or not.

Sadly, the manager's opinion (after having worked there for "over 15 years") is that they are busy and if someone doesn't like something he can give them something else.

Here's a picture of the "poached egg" that I referred to above: http://instagr.am/p/K7...

I wouldn't eat here if every meal was free for the rest of my life!!

Ball Square Cafe or Neighborhood Cafe are well worth your money and are very close by.

Do yourself a favor: AVOID SOUND BITES AT ALL COSTS!!!

********

FROM THE OWNER OF SOUND BITES (after I posted this review on Yelp):

"lets call it two strikes and we're OUT !
we had a lot of fun with this after you left," - yasser m.

He has emailed me numerous times with nothing but insults and bullying tactics. What a shame! Shame on you Yasser!!!

• Visited May 2012