“Hosts need friendliness lessons” 3 of 5 stars

Morrison House Bed & Breakfast
221 Morrison Avenue, Somerville, MA 02144   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Somerville B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California, United States
“Hosts need friendliness lessons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have stayed here twice for 3 nights each visit. The rooms are great, location fantastic, prices reasonable, but the Ron and Linda seem poorly suited to the task of hosts. They were not warm welcoming or friendly. One morning when I asked to add my daughter (who goes to school at Tufts) for breakfast, Linda made such a fuss that disturbed the entire breakfast room resulting in my daughter in tears. We left without breakfast. I had high hopes for this place but the grumpy hosts need to improve their social behavior. I am going to stay elsewhere next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TravelGeekBoston, Owner at Morrison House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I like to think that most of our guests find us friendly and responsive. Every now and then, though, someone comes along who really seems to push our buttons, and we probably don't treat them with as much courteousness as we should. I am sorry about that, and I hope that it is a rare occurrence.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was thrilled that I chose to stay at the Morrison House. Ron and Linde were wonderful hosts, the house and my room were so clean and comfortable, and the location was great. Breakfast was good, and Ron made me a wonderful pot of coffee each morning. The Morrison House is a short walk to the train at Davis Square, so the proximity to Boston is great. There are a lot of great restaurants around Davis Square, just a short walk away. I will be staying there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for your kind words! We look forward to your return.
Alachua, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

There are so many positive things to say about Morrison House that I almost don't know where to begin. First off, let me say that from the moment of my arrival, Ron greeted me and made me feel right at home. He is a wonderful host and takes great pride in his business and his home. I arrived in the afternoon and made myself a mug of green tea. I was able to take it up to my room and was provided with a tray. Ron makes it his business to make sure all his guests are comfortable. No amenity is omitted. There are water and wine glasses in each room. Cold water containers are in the fridge,There are french press carafes for easy coffee preparation and breakfast is absolutely exquisite. Linda bakes scones that melt in your mouth and believe me, I had trouble eating just one! The house is very quiet if you need R & R. I I enjoyed the first snowfall of the year and savored every moment. I am a transplanted Floridian so I really savor the snow.. . It snowed all night and that was lovely because I was too pooped to go out anyway. I think that Morrison House is a great value for the money and I give it a perfect TEN!

Room Tip: Every room is fine. I stayed in the small "Bunny Room" as every room has a theme. Shari...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Wow, what a warm and thorough review. We hope that we see a lot of you in the future!
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

What a nice, warm, and friendly place to stay! Very convenient to Tufts and the T. The house was spotless, and the cat made it so homey. Breakfast was fresh and overly filling. Ron and Linde were very knowledgeable and gave us excellent information. I'd go back in a second.

Room Tip: Ask Ron and Linde, they will make your stay perfect!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank-you for the wonderful comments!
Marlow, Bucks, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Somerville is a lovely area. It has a small-town feel, but is very conveniently located for the subway with easy access to the rest of Boston. The Someville Theatre is a short stroll away, as are lots of great bars and restaurants around Davis Square..

I was in a large downstairs room. It was very comfortably furnished. Breakfast is around a communal table, so if you have to be feeling social, but the other guests while I was there were a friendly and chatty bunch, and I actually spent the my last day there wandering around the area with a fellow guest while waited for our planes. We walked over to Tufts University, about 15 minutes' stroll away. They happened to be having an open day.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Texel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed for one night while the owners were away, and their relatives were stepping in for them. This worked perfectly well. After some trouble with the internet booking (2 nights were booked instead of one), we called and everything was sorted out immediately. We had a nice arrival, the room and the whole place were very cosy and very clean, everything was really well organised. Breakfast was great, it was nice to sit around a big table and chat to the other guests. We also appreciated the free cooled water bottles and the leftover blueberry scones on the table the evening before. The location is quite far out, but just 2 minutes walk from a T-station, so still great for exploring Cambridge and Boston. Wishing we had had time to stay longer!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
TravelGeekBoston, Owner at Morrison House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
I'm so glad that my sister and her husband were able to take good care of you while we were on vacation.
Adirondacks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We were welcomed by the beautiful garden and then by our hosts. The room and bathroom were spotless and comfortable. The breakfast was lovely and we had interesting company to chat with. The library was at the corner. Davis Square was steps away with many choices for shopping and eating. The Red line was convenient and we actually walked back from Cambridge instead of taking the Red line. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
TravelGeekBoston, Owner at Morrison House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay!

Been to Morrison House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!