“Great Food, Beer & Service ...” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Five Horses Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 251 Restaurants in Somerville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grove St
Western Ma
“Great Food, Beer & Service ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

... What more could one wish for. Ate there for lunch when they were very crowded. (The secret is out.) Despite the crowd, service was prompt, friendly and even fun. The food was very good and the portions generous. Also, given my bibulous proclivities, they have a splendid array micro-brews and wine. Much of the former is on tap including a difficult to find favorite of mine originating in California.

Location is convenient and prices reasonable. The only drawback, on occasion, is noise that can't be avoided with a happy crowd.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“A Davis Square must try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We were not planning on eating out, nor did we have brunch in mind, but found ourselves at 5 Horses and were so impressed with our discovery! We sat right next to the open windows, getting a lovely breeze and avoiding the riff-raff walking past ;-)

I got the Chimichanga para Desayuno - looked huge on the plate, but I finished that baby off no problem and it was SO good! Crispy pastry filled with black beans, eggs, potatoes, carrots, scallions, jalapenos, and red peppers. The salsa drizzled on top and on the plate was sweet and spicy and the guac and goat cheese sour cream were the perfect companion to the spice of the salsa and jalapenos.

Husband got the Salmon Eggs which was essentially scrambled eggs with salmon on top of 1/2 an English muffin and topped with a bit of salmon roe. It was much less food than the chimichanga, but he felt full afterwards.

We each got a bloody Mary. Mine was virgin (because I am virginal.....) and his was with gin and basil. Also very tasty - a far cry from tomato juice with a bit of tabasco found at other brunch joints - the house mix was the perfect mix of spice, tomato, and lemon/lime.

A little pricier than brunch should be, but we left satisfied and ready for a nice meander down the bike trail, a block away.

Visited July 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
“Lucky Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Recently my wife and I had our first opportunity to visit this tavern in Davis Sq. (also a first) The menu was extensive. Our selections were simple, delicious and served promptly. Servers were very cordial. The furnishings were hi-end and very comfortable. We ate pre-show;a sidewalk referral suggested this spot. The tavern was filling up as we left with a college age crowd; seems very popular.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Definitely believe the raves...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Not really in the mood for pub food I was hesitant to eat here, but OH.MY.WORD. I am so glad we did.

We went on President's day, unaware of the brunch they were having, but we did not have to wait to be seated. We were brought waters immediately, and given plenty of time to peruse the incredible beer/wine menu! The selection is incredible.
I had a Maine Peeper ale, that was fruity and light and made me want summer so bad!

For starters we ordered the calamari, which came with mangos and banana peppers. Very different, but delicious. I had the pumpkin soup with amaretto biscotti croutons on top- I swear I will be dreaming about that soup!!
We also got the Brie grilled cheese (which I didn't try this time around) and the potato tacos, which I devoured in moments. The food is awesome and very unique- this is not your typical pub fare. All of their desserts are home made as well, and I highly recommend the "nutella and drunken banana"

Awesome service, wonderful cozy atmosphere and food that exceeded my expectations. Also, there is an elevator to get in and to use the bathroom, so it is physically accessible and the staff is very helpful in making sure you are comfortable and can get around. Big plus.

Yes, we have a new date spot in Davis Square!!! Plus there will ALWAYS be more beers to try!!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Very good food - great brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We just enjoyed a delicious brunch that was well prepared, interesting recipes, and the right size portions. Service was good as well. The only reasons I give it four stars instead of five are: they do not have any herbal tea, only Earl Grey - if you want to be a brunch destination, the right beverages will help. And the bacon was slightly undercooked and clearly had been sitting in a pool of grease instead of being drained. Okay, I'm nit picky about my food.

• Visited February 2013