“Wornout Wasp Nest” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Summer House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Siasconset
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ocean near Magnolia
Description: On a bluff overlooking the Atlantic in Siasconset, the Summer House Restaurant is known not only for its picturesque Siasconset location but also for its imaginative contemporary cuisine and outstanding wine list. Dinner each evening is an event - subdued lighting, flickering candles, fresh flowers and the music from the Piano Bar combine to create an atmosphere of days gone by and the true romance that is Nantucket. Enjoy dinner on the porch, overlooking the ocean and the starry night sky is a true taste of Nantucket summer. Before or after dinner, drinks and celebrations are enjoyed at the delightful Piano Bar.The Summer House Restaurant is a member of the Summer House Boutique Collection of Restaurants on Nantucket, offering delightful dining options for visitors and residents alike. Our family of restaurants also includes 29 Fair and The Beachside Bistro. Nantucket Town inn guests enjoy priority seating and complimentary door to door jitney service from several of the inns.
Potomac
“Wornout Wasp Nest”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Overpriced, moderate food and taxi poaching - a nice view into old Nantucket. This was not a bad experience so if you like overpaying to be away from the riff-raff by all means go. I am used to paying twice the price for a bottle of wine but $65. for a $15. one, come on. I guess the need to succeed in 4 months might have something to do with it. I still think they can do better and stop resting on their laurels.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SummerHouseMgmt, Owner at The Summer House Restaurant, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback. I am working hard to continually improve the experience of our guests, and commit to you that we are not resting on our laurels. I take your feedback very seriously, and am doing everything within my power to improve on the shortcomings that you experienced. Our pricing is the result of local market conditions and the high cost of transport to our location. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the true Summer House experience and that you will consider us in the future!

Boston, Massachusetts
“Bad service and overcooked food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We ate at the Beachside bistro version of the Summer House; it had been recommended by our hotel and in the NY Times. It was a huge disappointment. The service from the get-go was indifferent - the hostess seemed completely overwhelmed, though it's to be expected that there will be lots of people at lunch time on Labor Day weekend. Our waitress was late with getting our order; the (extremely overpriced) hamburger was overcooked; and they overcharged us for the wine. When we pointed out that the wine on the check was not the wine we ordered, she said it was the same price, which wasn't true. It then took 20 minutes for them to bring us the corrected check.

Very much not worth it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Dear guest,

I am very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience dining with us this past Labor Day weekend. Because I never want to see our guests leave us dissatisfied, I would like to offer you a complimentary meal next time you visit the island so that we can show you a true Beachside Bistro experience. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and we can arrange the details. I look forward to hosting you soon!
“Wow--what a disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We came in for an early-evening dinner, entering an empty dining room. Knowing it was the end of a holiday weekend, we thought we would benefit from a quiet night.

First, the food. It was worse than a low-level chain restaurant. Since it was a bit cool, my husband and I ordered the lobster bisque. It was watery and bitter. I would have sent it back but our waiter never returned to the table until we asked for the check. Our entrees were shameful, given the prices they charged. My husband ordered the lobster pasta dish, which was spaghetti, what appeared and tasted like bad jarred sauce and a few pieces of knuckle meat (for $40!!) and my crab cake and salad were bland.

The best server on staff was the busboy who was more attentive and polite than the rest collectively. I would have spoken to the manager but he was too busy schmoozing with an elderly couple who seemed to be wealthy. By the time we left, the dining room was half full--not because we intentionally lingered over our meals--because there was 10 to 15 minute waits between courses (and since we didn't like the food, it was a LONG wait).

What a waste of an opportunity to enjoy good food in one of the most beautiful islands in the world.

If there was any justice, someone with taste and talent will buy The Summer House and restore it to the standards it deserves.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Guest,

My sincere apologies for your negative experience at our restaurant. I want to assure you that we take your review very seriously. I am working hard to address any issues with the Summer House dining experience and am doing everything within my power to deliver an excellent experience for all restaurant patrons. The issues that you experienced were certainly unusual and unacceptable. Since I am extremely confident in the truly great dining experience that we offer at the restaurant, I would like to invite you back for a complimentary meal on us. You can contact me at reservations@thesummerhouse.com for details, just reference your Tripadvisor account. I hope to see you soon!
Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“Excellent lunch and cocktails at Summer House Beach Bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We spent several days at the beach at the Summer House Siasconset and had lunch at the Summer House Beach Bistro. Good food, great cocktails. Overall, staff was good. Had one terrible waitress, but since we'd been prior and knew most of the staff was good, we gave her a pass. We were at the beach so much, we didn't go to dinner at the Summer House Restaurant, but the menu and decor look lovely and would certainly go in the future.

Visited August 2012
Many thanks for your kind words, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again soon! We're already excited for next season!
mass
“Simply.........bad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I read the reviews from the week prior to our visit hoping that they did not reflect the true state of affairs. Wrong. The summer house is overpriced with terrible service . Our fish was not cooked, and after fifteen minutes of waiting it was returned without vegetables. If you go here it is your fault. After five bad reviews the truth is ...... This is a poor choice for dinner.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
Jeffrey,

I am deeply sorry for the experience that you described at our restaurant last season. I take great pride in the product that we offer at the restaurant, and certainly am disappointed to hear that your experience was so negative. I am always working to improve the guest experience at the restaurant, and would like to have you back for a complimentary meal to show you the true quality of the food and the experience at the Summer House Restaurant this season. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and reference your Tripadvisor account so we can arrange the details.

Kind regards.