“Wow--what a disappointment!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Summer House Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Siasconset
Good for: Romance, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Ocean near Magnolia
Description: On a bluff overlooking the Atlantic in Siasconset, the Summer House Restaurant is known not only for its picturesque Siasconset location but also for its imaginative contemporary cuisine and outstanding wine list. Dinner each evening is an event - subdued lighting, flickering candles, fresh flowers and the music from the Piano Bar combine to create an atmosphere of days gone by and the true romance that is Nantucket. Enjoy dinner on the porch, overlooking the ocean and the starry night sky is a true taste of Nantucket summer. Before or after dinner, drinks and celebrations are enjoyed at the delightful Piano Bar.The Summer House Restaurant is a member of the Summer House Boutique Collection of Restaurants on Nantucket, offering delightful dining options for visitors and residents alike. Our family of restaurants also includes 29 Fair and The Beachside Bistro. Nantucket Town inn guests enjoy priority seating and complimentary door to door jitney service from several of the inns.
“Wow--what a disappointment!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

We came in for an early-evening dinner, entering an empty dining room. Knowing it was the end of a holiday weekend, we thought we would benefit from a quiet night.

First, the food. It was worse than a low-level chain restaurant. Since it was a bit cool, my husband and I ordered the lobster bisque. It was watery and bitter. I would have sent it back but our waiter never returned to the table until we asked for the check. Our entrees were shameful, given the prices they charged. My husband ordered the lobster pasta dish, which was spaghetti, what appeared and tasted like bad jarred sauce and a few pieces of knuckle meat (for $40!!) and my crab cake and salad were bland.

The best server on staff was the busboy who was more attentive and polite than the rest collectively. I would have spoken to the manager but he was too busy schmoozing with an elderly couple who seemed to be wealthy. By the time we left, the dining room was half full--not because we intentionally lingered over our meals--because there was 10 to 15 minute waits between courses (and since we didn't like the food, it was a LONG wait).

What a waste of an opportunity to enjoy good food in one of the most beautiful islands in the world.

If there was any justice, someone with taste and talent will buy The Summer House and restore it to the standards it deserves.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
SummerHouseMgmt, Owner at The Summer House Restaurant, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Guest,

My sincere apologies for your negative experience at our restaurant. I want to assure you that we take your review very seriously. I am working hard to address any issues with the Summer House dining experience and am doing everything within my power to deliver an excellent experience for all restaurant patrons. The issues that you experienced were certainly unusual and unacceptable. Since I am extremely confident in the truly great dining experience that we offer at the restaurant, I would like to invite you back for a complimentary meal on us. You can contact me at reservations@thesummerhouse.com for details, just reference your Tripadvisor account. I hope to see you soon!

Monmouth Beach, New Jersey
“Excellent lunch and cocktails at Summer House Beach Bistro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

We spent several days at the beach at the Summer House Siasconset and had lunch at the Summer House Beach Bistro. Good food, great cocktails. Overall, staff was good. Had one terrible waitress, but since we'd been prior and knew most of the staff was good, we gave her a pass. We were at the beach so much, we didn't go to dinner at the Summer House Restaurant, but the menu and decor look lovely and would certainly go in the future.

Visited August 2012
Many thanks for your kind words, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! I hope that you have the opportunity to visit us again soon! We're already excited for next season!
mass
“Simply.........bad.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

I read the reviews from the week prior to our visit hoping that they did not reflect the true state of affairs. Wrong. The summer house is overpriced with terrible service . Our fish was not cooked, and after fifteen minutes of waiting it was returned without vegetables. If you go here it is your fault. After five bad reviews the truth is ...... This is a poor choice for dinner.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jeffrey,

I am deeply sorry for the experience that you described at our restaurant last season. I take great pride in the product that we offer at the restaurant, and certainly am disappointed to hear that your experience was so negative. I am always working to improve the guest experience at the restaurant, and would like to have you back for a complimentary meal to show you the true quality of the food and the experience at the Summer House Restaurant this season. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and reference your Tripadvisor account so we can arrange the details.

Kind regards.
Concord, Ma. USA
“Expensive and mediocre because they can be...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The location is fantastic, and they know it. And without many choices in Sconset, they also know that they have you by the wallet. We have been coming here for years and when our kids were smaller it was physically painful to hand over $25 for a small dish of pasta for them (could be $15 but either way; highway robbery); but it is the only gig in town if you just want to have a drink and a casual dinner.

My kids are old enough to babysit for other people now, and we still go, however there is still that disappointment that the experience doesn't measure up to expectations: No one to seat you for 7 minutes while 15 waiters walk by; a Margarita that is heavy on the alcohol (good) but not tasty at all (acceptable, but not at this price). The service is, without fail, spotty at best. The food; however overpriced is delicious though. I had the lobster salad last night with a bowl of chowder and neither disappointed. The disappointment came with the fact that my margarita arrived AFTER my chowder and was ...not good. We had to flag down another waiter to pay our bill as ours didn't seem to want our money at the end of the night...

The blankets they offer are nice when it is chilly, and you are guaranteed to be hanging with the 'beautiful people' but you will also be hanging with 25 children under the age of 5 picking at their $25 bowls of pasta. And if you're really lucky they have the radio tuned to a 90s rock station; I came away with a headache. All in all after 8+ years of eating there, it juuust doesn't hit the mark in comparison to the rest of the fabulous dining on Nantucket. The only reason I can see that they don't get their act together is b/c they don't have to... In Sconset - go to Chanticleer.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at The Summer House Restaurant, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you for being a loyal customer! We are always working to improve our customer experience, so please come visit us again this season and we promise to provide you with an amazing dining experience! Contact us at manager@thesummerhouse.com before you come, we would love to host you!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Overpriced and disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

A resident friend told us "above all" we "must" visit the Summer House in Sconset. We paid the $20+ cab fare (each way) from town anticipating our favorite meal of our vacation, but it turned out to be our most disappointing.

We had early reservations and it took us less time to get out to Sconset than we expected, so we arrived before the kitchen was open. Instead of seating us at the bar as we requested, the inexperienced hostess put us at a table in the empty dining room. Then a waiter came over and awkwardly told us that we wouldn't be able to take our order for at least 20 more minutes. He walked away before we could ask him to show us to the bar. We felt conspicuous and unwanted.

The food was so-so. Overpriced for sure. Can't even remember what I ordered, that's how forgettable it was. Our table didn't have a great view of the ocean and was squished up against a rusty-looking-but-not-in-a-cool-distressed-way planter full of dusty fake hydrangeas. I felt like I was at a cheap banquet hall.

Best part of the evening was strolling Sconset after. Coulda saved a couple hundred bucks and just done the stroll only.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at The Summer House Restaurant, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Hi,

I am very sorry for the negative experience that you had while visiting us last season. It sounds like you caught us at a difficult time, and we did not provide you with the excellent experience that I train our staff to strive for. I can assure you that this was an anomaly, and I hope you will give us another chance to host you in Sconset again soon! Before you return, please email manager@thesummerhouse.com, I would like to see to it personally that you have a true Summer House experience for your next visit!