“A Marvel” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Massachusetts
“A Marvel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Having tried scores of restaurants within a hundred mile radius of the Gypsy Apple since the 1960s, I can state unequivocally that this serves the best cuisine you will find. If this tiny bistro was in New York City, where I once resided for five decades, it would be regarded as a treasure and the chef/owner, Michael Westcott, would be given a key to the city. I have long hesitated writing a review of this place for fear the kitchen might be overwhelmed by the crowds but reading that one reviewer was "disappointed" because she felt that she might have been treated rudely because she was part of a biracial couple convinced me to add my two cents. Michael and his wife Amy, who doubles as a hostess, are a biracial couple, so that reviewer was so offbase as to defy common sense. To get back to the cooking: it is personal, fresh, often inspired, contemporary yet based on classical techniques, and invariably a delight to the tastebuds. If Michelin reviewed it, it would get at least two stars and a notice that it was well worth a detour.

• Visited July 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

magpiefarm
“Bar none!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The owners of Gypsy Apple could go ANYWHERE--NYC, Chicago, Amsterdam --absolutely anywhere, to great (probably greater) success. They have chosen the village of Shelburne Falls. What a gift to this (already) fabulously rich New England town.

Gypsy Apple is my family's default special occasion dinning choice: birthdays, in-law visits, anniversaries, graduation. I noticed a review down the line that mentioned/questioned the length of the dining experience and to this I say, chef Michaelangelo does, of course, make everything fresh and to order and if you have ever partaken a truly fine dining experience, this is part of the indulgence that is to be expected. This is called the slow food movement and if you are just wanting a panini or meatloaf sandwich after a full day at the potholes and shopping, there are plenty of other absolutely wonderful places to eat in the area.

Get ready to be pampered at Gypsy Apple, take your time, digest, enjoy the experience and expect an exceptional meal and service.

And to the person below's question of whether she was mistreated for being a mixed race couple all I will say is I am positive you are wrong. We are a mixed race family and have always been more than welcomed; we have been fully embraced.

• Visited July 2012
Lexington, Massachusetts
“A Real Disappointment on Many Levels”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I decided to conclude a lovely Memorial Day trip to Shelburne Falls with a nice dinner at Gypsy Apple. We arrived just after the restaurant had opened for the evening. The hostess greeted us with a scowl and an attitude that was less than friendly. We were dressed casually, but neatly. I would hate to think that the fact that we were a mixed-race couple elicited such a hostile reception, but go figure. She proceeded to tell us that they were booked with reservations, but could seat us on the patio. Mind you, there were no other patrons in the place at the time, just waitstaff and the Chef. The "patio" consisted of smattering of tables in an area enclosed by a rickety fence at the back of the restaurant, within range of a smelly dumpster. I was ready to walk, but my boyfriend asked if we might be given a table inside the restaurant. The waitress granted our request.

We had a far friendlier waitress assigned to our table, which made for a nicer experience than I was expecting, given the initial reception. The food was good, but nothing exceptional, and was very slow to arrive. We dined for 1 1/2 hours, and for most of that time, there were only 2 or 3 other couples present. I was puzzled as to why the service was so slow. I also found that the cost of the meal was really high, and the portions of food given to be meager. Frankly, we had a far better dining experience (food, service and price) at another local restaurant, The West End Pub. My boyfriend and I were disappointed with Gypsy Apple on so many levels that we won't be returning there again.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts
“Hidden Jewel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Gypsy Apple is tucked into a tiny store front in Shelburne Falls, and the perfect endpoint to a stroll along Bridge Street's art, craft and specialty shops.

Food here is seasonal, local and worthy of any five-star "big city" experience. I honestly been delighted with every dish I've ever ordered, and always lean something new about what flavors compliment each other.

Don't save Gypsy Apple for a special occasion, although it is a treat.

• Visited March 2012
Westfield, Massachusetts
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

This restaurant definitely lived up to its reviews! We had reservations for 5:00 pm, the hour the restaurant was scheduled to open, and they were about 10 minutes late in opening, but once we got in and rolling everything was great. We were promptly seated outside on the patio, which was delightful. The wait staff was knowledgeable and attentive. Nothing was "ordinary." Exceptional Caesar salad (not cold from the refrigerator). Expertly prepared entrees: the char was excellent and the scallops with rice and curry sauce were great. Good dessert selection. It’s very small, so make a reservation (they were not accepting and walk-ups the day we were there). Worth a visit and we’ll be back.

• Visited May 2012