“Johnson and Wales is now Hilltop Hotel and Conference Center” 4 of 5 stars

Johnson and Wales Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   213 Taunton Ave., Seekonk, MA 02771   |
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Seekonk
Cross Anchor
“Johnson and Wales is now Hilltop Hotel and Conference Center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Although my reservation was originally made with Johnson and Wales upon my arrival I discovered it is now Hilltop Hotel and Conference Center! I had no forewarning and was surprised when I called from the airport to contact the hotelo shuttle to learn that the hotel had been sold and no longer had an airport shuttle. Rather than tipping a shuttle driver from the hotel I had to use a taxi - quite a difference. At check-in I found that there was no longer a restaurant on the premises. The ladies at check-in were apologetic and offered suggestions on restaurants. The room itself was clean and spacious and the bed was most comfortable. Be sure to use the street address to find this hotel since the names may confuse the taxi drivers.

Room Tip: You may request a room with a refrigerator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Bradenton, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The manager knows I am writing this review because we were up-front and talked with him. Even Expedia thought we were reserving at Johnson and Wales and never mentioned the change. We came for the whole J and W experience: gourmet dining, staffed by students, etc. Beware: the place has fallen into disrepair and has been bought out. The minute I entered the lobby I was met with a "wall" of mildew and later had to use an old inhaler I had not used for 3 years. A phone call from a manager should have been made to tell us that it was no longer J and W and that the dining room was closed. Unfortunately, on the 2 different websites, it continues to tout the wonderful food at Audrey's ( the closed restaurant) and gives a menu for the new restaurant (which has not even been built yet). We paid extra to stay here and got nothing but trouble. In fact, when it became a health hazard we left after 4 nights with 5 yet to go. No refund yet from either the hotel or Expedia -- almost 2 weeks later -- and no rebate offered to balance the lack of services. On the good side, the breakfast was superior to many continental breakfasts -- but I could not stay downstairs to eat it due to the molds. Two years ago, I gave this hotel a 4-star rating. Not now. If you must stay here, ask the manager if the mildew has been abated and if the plants have been watered yet. Room was shabby with no safety lock on door and tiles off in the bathroom. I have been to numerous weddings, conferences and over-nights here so all that has happened seems to be recent. Good luck!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mission, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay, clean, quiet room and helpful staff. It was also a nice surprise to get the complimentary breakfast too. Great value with good restaurants near by, no pool but nice exercise room.

• Stayed July 2013
NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We checked into J&W (the name has recently been changed to Hilltop Hotel) together with a wedding party which occupied approximately 20 rooms. We arrived on a Friday night around 10 pm. The woman at the front desk explained that we were in room 303 but that the elevator only went up to the 2nd floor and we would have to walk up from there. We elected to walk all three floors as we didn't have large suitcases, but it was a harbinger of what was to come. After we unpacked, my wife and daughter got into bed as they were tired from the trip. At some point I realized that the toilet was running continuously and being slightly handy thought I would just jiggle the handle some. It turned out the gasket was completely off and it was not going to stop. I went down to the desk and told them of the problem only to be told "nothing we can do now, I'll leave a note for maintenance" Using Yankee ingenuity I figured that I could flush the toilet by filling the ice bucket with water and throwing down into the toilet. Yes, this works. In the morning we went down for breakfast (so so, with bagels, yogurt, cereal, and some fruit) and made sure to stop at the desk to remind them. I was told "we don't know when maintenance will be in". Now I'm getting annoyed. WE left for the afternoon and when we returned around 3pm we were told the good news, the toilet was fixed!! The wedding was that afternoon and when we returned to the hotel late that night we discovered that the room was never made up. Again, down to the desk where we were told "sorry, would you like some extra sheets and towels?". During this whole two day adventure there was no manager on duty and I was told the General Manager was gone until Tuesday. What really got to me was that the hotel was probably 2/3 full so why did we get such a shoddy room that we had to walk up to? Yes, after walking up and down several times it started getting tedious.

Now to be fair, the rest of the wedding party had no troubles and were happy with their rooms and service. But I can only give my review and I think the hotel is lacking in some management areas. I wanted the bare minimum, an elevator to get to my room and working toilet facilities, oh, and a clean room for the second day. I was missing all the above.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 303 thru 310.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Nobody told us the the hotel had changed it's name to The Hilltop Hotel--so having driven round and round for about an hour we decided to ask in the Hilltop only to find out that it used to be Johnson and Wales (you'd think they might tell someone staying there!)
As they had recently been taken over there were lots of areas that were being improved so it would be wrong to be too criticle about those
Reception was outstandingly helpful and the rooms were fine--give it a try

Room Tip: Get instructions
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had one night here and it was very good. We had a large room which was quiet, comfortable and clean. The staff were professional and friendly and the hotel seemed to be good value for what was offered. We took breakfast in Audrey's which was a good selection and nice and fresh, the breakfast staff were very courteous. We can't fault our stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Copiague, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

After reading some mediocre reviews I did not know what to expect. But I was quite surprised at this venue. Was with a large tour group and they were ready and waiting for us. Complete with luggage service and a cookie and lemonade reception. The room was comfortable, and inviting with ample space. The bathroom was huge and spotless. The contential breakfast was ample and fresh with a nice assortment to choose from. Would definitely make this a go to spot if in the area again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Johnson and Wales Inn? Share your experiences!