“VERY DISAPPOINTING” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Beth's Bakery & Cafe

Beth's Bakery & Cafe
16 Jarves Street, Sandwich, MA 02563 (Formerly Beth's Special Teas Bakery & Cafe)
508 888-7716
Dining options: Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast
guntersville,AL
“VERY DISAPPOINTING”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I'm visiting my daughter who is a student at UMass Dartmouth. One thing that we really enjoy doing together is having afternoon tea. There are many tearooms in the Cape Cod area. We chose Beth's Special Teas in Sandwich,MA based on the offerings on their menu online. We drove almost an hour to get there, mind you! We found it easily and it's very cute on the outside with a nice front porch where you can enjoy your meal as well. It's very small inside and it does not have the atmospere of a typical tea room. It's more cafe like. Their menu is posted on a chalkboard behind the counter. Listed were several sandwiches, salads, etc plus they had a baked goods case that was full of yummy looking treats. Here's my beef: On their website they have listed an afternoon tea for $12.99 that includes tea sandwiches, a scone, little tea desserts and a pot of tea. On their chalkboard menu they have afternoon tea for $12.99 that includes a scone and tea, that's all. There were two very young girls working. I asked about it and even said on your website it says blah, blah, blah. She said no, that's what we offer...what's on the board. Very misleading and disappointing! We drove all that way! Well, we were hungry and not knowing where else to go, we ordered anyway. We did not order the scone and tea. I feel that $12.99 for a scone a tiny pot of tea was way too expensive! I ordered the chicken salad sandwich which was around $8. it came with a pickle a tiny bag of chips. It was average but I did like the cranberries in it. My daughter got the cheese and tomato paninni. It also was around $8 and came with pickle and chips. She said it was good. I ordered a cream puff and my daughter ordered a brownie. The cream in mine was delicious but the pastry part was tough. My daughter said her brownie was good. My total bill was $26. That's a lot for sandwiches and baked goods plus we only drank water. One other thing that was very annoying was there was a man playing guitar and singing in the corner. He was loud for such a small space and that made it hard to enjoy conversation. I understand restaurants change their menus from time to time but if you are going to have a website then it needs to be updated regularly or don't bother having one at all! We really enjoyed the town of Sandwich. We went in many cute gift shops and saw so many adorable homes and buildings. However, we will never visit Beth's Special Teas again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
jbg7716, Owner at Beth's Bakery & Cafe, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
I am so sorry that you were so unhappy. I am very curious about the afternoon tea if you did purchase one of those you should have gotten the sandwiches, desserts, tea and scone sampler. The tea and just a scone is not 12.99. So I would like to know if the girls made a mistake. And we are training new girls right now.
I unfortunately was out sick and want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. We have very recently changed to a Bakery Cafe' and have someone working on the Web site. If there is anything I can do to make this right I would gladly welcome your conversation. Beth

Henderson, Nevada
“Perfect Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I had a 'salad and half BLT sandwich' for lunch which was very good. However, I thought the portions were on the small side since I wasn't quite full after this meal. But, this allowed me to stroll up to the bakery case, and I picked a Coconut Macaroon and a Walnut Maple Scone. These two round sweets is what pushed me to add the 5th star in my rating! I wish I lived in the area so I could try everything else in that case. I highly recommend the Maple Scone!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“French onion soup is not onion syrup!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This restaurant was the highest rated #1 on TripAdvisor, so we decided to give it a try. After reading the many reviews, maybe we made a mistake by ordering lunch rather than just having a scone and tea. My husband ordered a turkey Panini and I had a bowl of “French Onion Soup”. Since this was a bakery, we really expected that the Panini would be on fabulous bread but it wasn’t. The sandwich was okay, but there was nothing to make it special (we were hoping for something at least the caliber of Panera). The soup was truly awful – I think it was a huge mistake like the recipe asked for two teaspoons of sugar to caramelize the onions and instead the cook used two cups. Traditional French Onion Soup is with bread croutons and cheese melted on top – this came just with oyster crackers. The soup had a separation like what you would see with oil and balsamic vinegar so I think there was a lot of oil in the recipe. The soup was so sweet it was sweeter than pancake syrup. I couldn’t eat it. The restaurant did not have traditional table service, so no one came by to see if we were happy with our meal. Maybe to some the soup recipe is creative, and if it would have been advertised as Sweet Onion Soup or Beth’s famous Sweet Soup we would not have been disappointed (we would not have ordered it). But when you order French Onion Soup the expectation is savory, not dessert.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam, New York
“Delightful and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

On a recent trip to the Cape we had the pleasure of stopping by Beth's for afternoon tea. It was simply wonderful from the unique tea to the amazing tea sandwiches. Our server was very warm and friendly so that added to the whole experience. Of all the places we went to for tea, Beth's topped our list. We will definitely be looking forward to going there for tea on our next visit to Cape Cod.

Visited April 2013
Hopedale, Massachusetts
“Lovely Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful afternoon tea at Beth's last week. Everything was yummy. And their pot of Boston tea (black tea with slight cranberry/almond flavor) was the best of the three shops we visited during our Cape Cod getaway. As some have said, it is not a stuffy tea shop and we really enjoyed that aspect. It is decorated perfectly. Our waitress was wonderful. We will definitely put tea at Beth's on our calendar for next year.

• Visited April 2013