“Easy with young kids” 4 of 5 stars

Santa Barbara, California
12 attraction reviews
“Easy with young kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

This was a great site to visit with our 5 & 6 year old boys. It is not expensive, it is a quick visit so they did not get bored, it is interesting for both adults and kids.

Cortland, New York
25 attraction reviews
“A wonderful slice of history still in operation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

We visited the Dexter Grist Mill on Saturday, September 27th and thoroughly appreciated the detailed tour that we received. It is marvelous to see a gristmill still in operation. The gentlemen that gave the tour were charming and enthusiastic. The smell of the fresh-ground corn was intoxicating, transporting us back to our ancestry. This is a great stop for adults and kids alike. Remember to purchase some beautiful, stone-ground cornmeal. We can't wait to bake with a bit of history.

Florida
“My fondest childhood memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

Reminiscing, I recently traveled to Sandwich, exploring the township of my youth. I lived there 1958-1963, while my faterh was stationed at Otis AFB, which is now closed. One of my most cherished memories, is the 4th of July celebration that took place annually on the banks of the Dexter Grist Mill pond. We loved watching the swans in the water , many with babies trailing behind as the they swam. There was always a gorgeous fireworks display over the water that we watched as we sprawled on the blankets that my parents so neatly laid on the grass of the bank.

I'm sad to say the as an adult Dexter's Grist Mill seemed smaller than I remembered as a child, but all the charm is still there. I was also dismayed to find the waterway has a dam and the pond as I was knew it no longer exists. A large stone wall has been built around the pond changing the demographics altogether. In spite of my disappointments, I cherish the many photos taken during my visit and the travels of my memories.

Tanya Byrd