“Refined and splendid” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Sandwich, Massachusetts
“Refined and splendid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I've gone to the Tea Room a number of times over the years and was surprised to read some of the comments here. I am amazed by the reviewer who went to a Tea Room, one that has multiple signs saying Tea Room, and was disappointed to find herself in a Tea Room and not some other type of restaurant. And after an Afternoon Tea and chowder was still hungry. That explains a good deal.

This is a popular choice for tea and excellent, well prepared meals. The Yeoman's is my favorite but the afternoon tea is a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. This is not a fast food restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Fantastic Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch on a gorgeous day, sat in the main dinning room with all the doors and windows open and a nice breeze. Introduced my young daughters to Cream Tea, strawberry jam and clotted cream were delicious. The desserts were the best all four types, tea was perfect. Not the cheapest but worth the money for the food and experience.

Visited August 2012
Lawrenceville, NJ
“A nice spot for lunch, with worthwhile distinction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife, father-in-law and I enjoyed lunch here yesterday, on the way to the Dexter Grist Mill and the Hoxie House. I had the fisherman's lunch (with smoked mackerel), while my wife had the lunch with ham slices and salad. We all thought the ambience wonderful, a great break from the every day. With soft drinks and iced teas, and a view of the gardens outside, it's worth the trip from a distance. We weren't up for the traditional English tea with finger sandwiches, but they looked terrific. We all said we'd return for another visit down the road.

Visited August 2012
Fort Lonesome
“Abundant in ambience, Lacking in food quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was not a destination restaurant, but rather a stumbled on choice after visiting the Sandwich Glass Museum (which was outstanding). We choose restaurants primarily by the number of cars in the parking lot and of course the reviews on Trip Advisor. On this occasion, we chose only the parking lot guide. We arrived for breakfast and were impressed by the decor (Old English, Country French) and the talented harpist providing background music (however the acoustics did not favor music and conversation). We ordered coffee which arrived promptly, but much stronger than some might like, with the choice of milk or cream, nice touch. My husband ordered eggs benedict and I ordered the French toast made from brioche. My husband's meal was excellent, eggs poached correctly, hollandaise not too overdone. However, my French toast was dry and lacked flavor (another reviewer noted the same issue). I know brioche bread is a little drier to begin with so it is a good candidate for the batter, which is......eggs, milk or cream, vanilla, nutmeg or cinnamon, dash of salt......SOAK BREAD IN EGG BATTER, cook on griddle until golden on both sides, sprinkle with confectionery sugar and local fruit or maple syrup. They skipped the "soaking" part and as a result served three dried out pieces of day old break....yuk. No one asked about our meal until it was too late. It looked like they were very short staffed on a busy Sunday morning and it was hard to get anyone to make eye contact. We may try it again next year.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Unique Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The Dunbar Tea Shop is a must visit whenever we are on the Cape. It is open year round and the space is suited to all seasons with nice large windows in the main room, and a cozy fireplace in the original room. The menu is unique and if you have not visited before it helps to ask your server what exactly each item entails, some offerings are definitely more hearty than others. The specials are always great, especially when they are offering a chilled soup. For dessert the bumbleberry pie should not be missed! The tea selection is expansive with both hot and iced teas, you can also buy all of the teas offered in the shop. The Tea Shop is in the downtown area of Sandwich, there is plenty of parking in the gravel lot and on the street. Sometimes they also have live harp music which is very nice. This isn't a fast food sandwich place but good food carefully prepared and served to you. I have visited other U.S. tea rooms and so far none are even close in quality, service and selection to the Dunbar, I wish I lived closer!

• 5 of 5 stars Food