“Best seafood dinner in years!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Connecticut
“Best seafood dinner in years!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

This is a local favorite, the decor is nothing flashy, all they concentrate on is good service and incredibly fresh seafood. The crab qusadilla was an incredible starter, absolutely delicious. I had the whole belly clam platter which again was delicious, breaded with just the right consistency. My gf let me nibble off her fisherman's platter, and the scallops were the best I'd had in years. Highly recommended.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

South of Boston
“Delicious lobster roll”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

Conveniently located and quick seating. Enjoyed a delicious lobster roll, quaint atmosphere

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Massachusetts
“Wow, what a bad meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

Several extended family members and I recently dined (if that's the proper term...I'm not sure it is in this case) at Captain Scott's and were surprised and disappointed at the horrible service, the lousy food and general state of uncleanliness (there was lettuce and other garbage on the floor under our table when we got there...and no one in the employ of the restaurant ever made a move to clean it up).
The bill for our overcooked seafood (an absolute no-no in the Cape and other areas known for its fresh seafood) came to well over $200. When you consider that 5 of our party were kids ordering from the kids' menu, that's pretty shocking. The waitress was extremely late with water, bread and other items, even though there were not all that many customers to serve. She was even so overmatched that she served a martini to a 9 year old kid at our table. We had to tell her before she even realized it.
We had made the occasional summer trip to Captain Scott's since it first opened sometime in the 70's (can't remember which year now), when it was a terrific, unassuming little seafood shack. It's too bad they've slid so far downward.
My advice is to go to the Bee Hive on 6a. Great food, fair prices, spectacular service and that general vibe you get when a restaurant cares about what its guests think of the overall experience.

Yarmouth, MA
“Is there a new chef? Get back the old one.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

My wife and I ordered the pot roast, which we have ordered many times before and always loved it. This time it came presented and prepared differently. It was served all on one plate, including the vegetable. This is not a big issue, except for everything being piled to the center of the plate, mixing items together. The meat quality was the big problem. It looked old, dark around the edges and gray/brown in the center. My wife's plate was worse than mine. It was tough. You needed a knife to cut it. She took a bite and said it tasted like reheated leftover meat with gristle. She tried another slice, same thing. Mine wasn't as bad, but then again, I really didn't want to make a fuss over it. She told the waitress, who took it away and offered to bring another menu item. My wife then ordered the special, fish cakes with cole slaw. This wasn't much better, but she didn't want to complain again and so just ate it. She just wanted fish cakes, but got a gourmet type fish cake plate with the cole slaw hidden under. The fish cakes were a bit spicy. So much so that she couldn't taste the fish at all. This seems to be something common in many places lately. Fish really shouldn't be served heavily seasoned as it covers the taste so much you can't tell you are eating fish. As for the pot roast, previously it was served cut in fatter slices that seemed like chunks of meat, and so tender you could cut it with a fork. The vegetable was served in a separate dish, especially good with beets that taste better alone and not mixed with gravy and potatoes. Overall the experience was not a good one. We have been eating there for years and always enjoyed it. We understand the increase in cost, although it may not be worth the drive as much as before. We will give it another chance, but if it still isn't the old homemade taste that it always was before, I am afraid that will have to be our last time there.