“Definitely NOT the Ritz” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shady Nook Inn Motel

Shady Nook Inn Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandwich
Shady Nook Inn Motel
Save Saved
You added Shady Nook Inn Motel to your Saves list
14 Rt. 6A, Old Kings Highway, PO Box 402, Sandwich, MA 02563   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sandwich
Cadiz, Kentucky
“Definitely NOT the Ritz”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2008

This reminded me of the roadside motels along Rt 66 in the 50s. Shady Nook is the perfect name for the nice setting. We enjoyed sitting on the porch and breathing in the fresh air while watching the traffic heading onto the Cape. Pluses: large bathroom with all new fixtures, as well as a dressing room area. Friendly, helpful staff and very nice landscaping. Spotlessly clean, quiet, and a very comfortable bed. Negatives: pealing wallpaper, and doors that just don't quite fit right. But if you like "quaint", you'll like the Shady Nook.

• Liked — Large room, very nice landscaping
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
East Coast, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

We stayed at Shady Nook in July of 2008. I don't understand the review that I read about rude people. That was not my experience at all unlike when I stayed up the road a bit near the Ice Cream Sandwich. The staff was very friendly and did the best that they could with what they had to work with.

That being said, the property is very, very tired. I knew when I booked the room that I was not staying in the only good hotel in Sandwich (DWI), but I tried to have an open mind. The room that we stayed in reminded me of a cave...dark, low ceilings, textured wall panels, and damp. The room looked like a 50's roadside motor inn that hadn't had much TLC since it was built, except for the floor. Before this trip, I had never stayed in a room with pergo on the floor. It was a good call though because I can't imagine taking my shoes off in this place with carpet on the floor. The beds were small, and damp with a distinct smell. The Air Conditioner had a very strong odor when it was turned on. We didn't bother the staff, but went to CVS and purchased lysol for the AC, and air freshener for the room. We returned to the room after a night out, and my wife convinced me not to sleep in the car, but we slept in our clothes to stay out of the beds, and left as early as we could to shower at home.

To be fair to the owners, we did not see any evidence that the room was dirty. It just smelled that way. I would rate this as not nearly as nice as a motel 6, microtel, or the least expensive national chains. My advice to anyone staying in Sandwich who can't get a room at a Bed and Breakfast or the DWI....is to head to East Sandwich or to Hyannis, but drive on past Moldy Nook.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The feeling of needing a shower as soon as I walked into my room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Madison, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2008

We've stayed at this facility several times over the last 10 years. It used to be a charming older facility with beautiful gardens. Right now it's "on hold". A "For Sale" sign abuts Route 6A and it is quite obvious that no money is being put into the property. I'm guessing the owners hope it will be sold for commercial redevelopment. We were there three nights in an older room at the back of the property. The room was clean and everything worked but it sure was in need of major updating. Look elsewhere.

• Liked — Good location
  • Disliked — Very outdated facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
north branford, ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

Good value for the money. We rented the two bedroom unit and it was great....included a full kitchen and living area. The staff were more than accomodating....Most of the units look redone and are clean. I would definitely stay there again. My only complaint is that the pool was a little dirty and the heater was broken.

• Liked — friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — disappointed in the pool
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlestown, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

We stayed in the Shady Nook this fall and loved it! Our room was newly renovated and big! Great location & customer service.
I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Easy access and newer rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing - loved it!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2007

The Inn has new management - a very sweet young couple. The rooms are very clean, the place is very close to the highway, and the beach is very close. Perfect Cape Cod inn... easy, clean, and very pleasant, and very afforadable...

Stayed April 2007
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

It was nice in 2003 & 2004. Something changed by 2005. Management? Owners? Pool was cold & dirty (advertised heated). Supposed to have continental breakfast in the morning---didn't happen. Room much overdue for improvements. Deck was FILTHY. Attitude of office attendant was terrible. Overall property took a real dive!! Truly sad---it was so nice at one time.

• Stayed June 2005

Been to Shady Nook Inn Motel? Share your experiences!