“This is the worst restaurant I have been to in years!” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
gloucester,ma
“This is the worst restaurant I have been to in years!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2009

We visited this restaurant last week for steamed lobster. The parking is impossible, and the wait long. When the lobster finally were ready they were well cooked and tasted fine. However, we ordered and paid a lot for 1.5 lb lobster. My husband called them chicken lobsters, I think they may have been 1 pound each. (We had just cooked 1.5 lobsters at home the week before, and these were no where near as large!) They came slightly cracked, but without a cracker (which was needed for the claws) or a dish to put the shells into. My sister ordered a greek salad. The lettuce was brown, nothing looked edible...absolutely discusting! The steamers were good, the fried clams o.k., but not as good as available locally elsewhere. WE WILL NEVER BE BACK!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Salem, NH
“1 hour wait in line!!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

My husband and I came to the Lobster Pool for my birthday. I just wanted a boiled lobster for dinner and heard this place had a nice view with a great sunset. Well, my poor husband was in line for 1 hour and missed the sunset while I sat at a table outside by myself. I did go in and wait with him on two different occasions during the course of the hour but he wanted me to enjoy my birthday and not have to wait in line. Once he finally ordered the lobsters were ready in 2 minutes! They were good lobsters and we enjoyed the rest of the evening .
We did stop in for the lobster bisque the next day as we where driving back home and it was fabulous, one of the best bisques I have had.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York, NY
“Sorry, but we were not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

After stopping there for lunch all three of us concluded that the place seems overrated. First, the woman who took our orders was rushed, insolent and pretty close to rude. The chowder was a bit better than OK, though not even close to what you'd get a better hotel in Boston. The fried halibut was excellent. But the fried shrimp were soggy, not crisp, and the lobster roll was pedestrian (for $15). We all agreed that we had eaten much better seafood at a fraction of the price, and without the nasty edge from the people behind the counter.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Gloucester, Massachusetts
“Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

The lobster was perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious, the setting was incredible. We sat outside by the water on a cool sunny day in October, brought a bottle of local Russell Orchards wine, and had an incredible experience.

Oakton, VA
“Picture Perfect Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2008

We stopped into the Lobster Pool at the end of August for lunch. The experience was sublimely casual; self service, picnic tables and a wonderful waterside view. We had a lovely lunch at the Lobster Pool and would recommend it to anyone that is going to be in the vicinity!