“A wonderfully cozy place with amazing food and hospitality!” 5 of 5 stars

Seven South Street Inn
7 South Street, Rockport, MA 01966   |
Ranked #2 of 24 Rockport B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A wonderfully cozy place with amazing food and hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was most impressed staying at Seven South Street Inn. Albeit a cold overnight in March it was wonderfully cozy and romantic. The owners made you feel right at home with their generous hospitality and ability to cook/prepare a delicious four course breakfast. We stayed in room three. It was clean, cozy and quiet. The inn is an old colonial and it's integrity has been well maintained adding character and charm.

We highly recommend!

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Greenfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had the wonderful opportunity to stay in room #8 for 4 nights. Upon arrival, we were welcomed by Steve; however, that was last we saw of him throughout the stay (other than an occasional walk-through during breakfast).

Room #8 was absolutely perfect! I am 6'4" tall and shared a bed, but it was very comfortable. The bathroom was a little small for my size, but definitely manageable. The breakfasts were more than I ever expected (around 3 courses), and I left the table FULL. Debbie definitely provides fresh and well-cooked meals for her guests. We absolutely loved the fruit smoothies, too! We never had a repeat of a breakfast.

Their staff member, Jim, was polite and accommodating, and provided excellent restaurant suggestions, especially Azorian Restaurant in Gloucester, Ma.

We were a little turned off in the beginning of our visit because we were the only ones at the inn and had little to no conversation with Debbie and Nick (even at breakfast), but when other guests arrived the following mornings, it seemed to have changed. I'm not sure whether we were being judged as the typical college students (which I think she later learned that we weren't), but, overall, the stay was wonderful and we will definitely return.

Our only suggestion is for the inn owners to be a little more friendly (at breakfast sittings) and more accommodating with restaurant suggestions or things to do. In my opinion, these are very simple things to do that would make this a 100% perfect stay.

Thank you Debbie for your wonderful breakfasts! See you again, soon!

Room Tip: Definitely book room 8 for a larger, more comfortable room on the first floor. It has a private entr...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
South Hadley, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Lovely New England Inn with attention to detail both in decor and in the gourmet breakfast which was served in the company of inspiring guests. Our after-storm retreat could offer nothing more. We were very pleased.

Room Tip: Quality cotton bedding, breathable and IRONED.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Our stay was absolutely perfect! This old New England inn is beautifully furnished and impeccably clean. Our innkeepers were most congenial and breakfast was fabulous as TripAdvisor had recommended.

This weekend mini-retreat was the ideal balance to our active Boston lifestyle, and we look forward to returning every season to experience the charm of Rockport, the Shaolin Center for the Arts, and the historic Seven South Street Inn (and of course, Gloucester's Azorean Restaurant)!

Thank you, Deb and Nick, for making our stay so memorable and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Linn & Steve
Feb. 2013

Room Tip: We loved the first floor suite ...it is spacious and very private!! Depending on the number of pers...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Plainville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Our stay at Seven South St Inn in beautiful Rockport, MA was excellent from beginning to end!! Jim checked us in , and he was professional and very courteous!! He gave us a warm welcome, and suggested a few restaurants to us in nearby Gloucester,MA, since Rockport was closed down for the season..Jim gave us excellent service!!. The room was very spacious and warm, with an electric fireplace. The bed was very comfortable, and the next morning, the food was delicious!! Our hosts, Debbie and Nick , were very friendly and gracious!!The four course breakfast included an egg casserole, fresh fruit, delicous scones and fruit smoothies!! Debbie and Nick were so kind, and made sure the any sweets were sugar free, so I could eat them as a diabetic. Debbie took extra time to talk with us and show us around the inn, and overall it was a fantastic stay!!

Room Tip: Room 8 has its own idividual entrance, and an in individual thermostat. It also has an electric fire...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I've stayed at this place before, and I do have to say that the room was lovely and the breakfast was delicious. That having been acknowledged, the manager I dealt with recently has a serious attitude problem. Unless Seven South Street cleans up its act in this respect, I certainly won't stay here again, and I will pass along that advice to friends of mine who have also stayed with them.

First of all, they are VERY SLOW in returning phone calls. This is truly problematic, considering that they don't have an online reservation system. I've had to wait hours -- sometimes 24-36 hours -- to get a callback when simply trying to make a reservation, even in the off-season when business is slow. That has ultimately led me to stay elsewhere.

As well, I recently made a reservation that didn't turn out very well. While on the phone, I mentioned that I would be arriving into Rockport in the morning. Jim, the gentleman "managing" the place for the owners, told me that the earliest I could get into the room might be 1 PM (normal check-in is at 3 PM). I asked if I would be able to check into the room earlier than 1 PM IF it hadn't been occupied the night before, rather than wandering around Rockport until 1 PM or later. I suggested that I could call upon arrival into Rockport in order to find out the status of the room. To my astonishment, he gave me a resounding "NO", indicating that any earlier than 1:00 would be "a whole new day". When I asked what he meant by “a whole new day”, he told me that given requests of this nature, he “might as well let people do whatever they want, and then people would request all kinds of things”. Thus, entering the room earlier than 1 PM would require being charged for an additional day. He added that he wouldn't guarantee that I could get into the room at 1:00, even if it had been unoccupied the night before.

Now, I have to say that I've traveled quite a bit, AND I was a Hotel Manager for 8 years. I've rarely experienced anything like Jim's attitude, and I would never have imposed that kind of rigid, unreasonable dictate onto a guest. At the hotel I managed (and at any hotel where I've stayed), if a guest arrived into town early and their room was available, then they were welcomed into the room immediately. As a manager of a business premised on "hospitality", why would I allow an early-arriving guest to wander around town, hauling their luggage, when the room for which they were going to pay was empty and clean? That's counterintuitive to logic and the provision of warm welcome. Jim’s attitude also implies that by coincidentally arriving into town early, a guest is somehow trying to subvert the check-in time and "put one over" on the B&B. How ridiculous! I can only say "Shame on you Jim." I hope that Debbie and Nick, who I believe are still the owners, have more common sense than this -- and that they employ people who are better trained, and who innately understand how to work more sensibly with other human beings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Montvale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I have been coming to Seven South Street Inn every summer for the past 9 years. Debbie and Nick have been the most gracious hosts; helpful in ever way. The rooms are well appointed and immaculate. Room #7 is our favorite. I think most guests would agree breakfasts are elegant and scrumptious. The inn is in walking distance to shops, restaurants and beaches. And....there is also a swimming pool tucked behind the inn in a lovely setting. We look so forward to our time on Cape Ann each year and Debbie and Nick really make us feel like we are home.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Seven South Street Inn? Share your experiences!