“Hear the Waves while you Sleep” 4 of 5 stars

Eagle House Beachside
10 Beach Street, Rockport, MA 01966 (Formerly Motel Peg Leg)   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Rockport
Clovis, CA
“Hear the Waves while you Sleep”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We stayed here on the last night of our New England trip. First, I loved Rockport! It is exactly what I had hoped to see in New England. We took a bizillion photos! The shops and eating places were great! This was the perfect place for our last stop.
I researched almost every place to stay in Rockport. I chose the Eagle House because of the location and reasonable price. The Eagle House looks over a little slice of beach at the end of the village area. We were able to hear softly lapping waves all night with our window slightly open. Heavenly! The room itself was nice. It has been remodeled and updated. Reminded me of some European places we have stayed. The bathroom was small but clean. The bed was comfy and the linens good. The desk clerk was very helpful and friendly. I was pleased with our stay there.
We ended up going to see the end of day on a type of boat launch area across from the main village. It was so beautiful watching day turn to night and the village lights twinkling on across the harbor. I cannot fully describe the beauty of Rockport. I must visit here again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

What a lovely surprise to discover Eagle House Beachside is one, really beachside, and two, within a minute's walk of everything downtown Rockport. We stayed in a room above the Office facing out to sea. Our first impression was that of a Caribbean guest room. Spacious, clean, bright, and a picture window looking out over the bay. Oh, beyond that (had to catch my breath), a comfortable king-size bed, large TV screen, frig, microwave, coffee maker, adequate bathroom, and a large back deck to share with the other upstairs rooms (around 8 - 10 in total). We were in town for a concert and literally had a two minute casual walk to the venue. Dogs played on the beach with their owners and fishing boats passed by on their way out. What a lovely visit as Rockport slowly winds down after a busy summer and fall. Ideal location.

Room Tip: The rooms above the office are the ones facing the sea, why be elsewhere?
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Conwy, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A spacious and comfortable room with a great view. Just over a quiet road from the beach. Very well priced. A short walk into the heart of Rockport which is a picturesque small town, in a some what touristy low key sort of way. Lots of gift shops and art galleries. A great breakfast is to be had in a diner virtually next door.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Very nice property with a great view of Front Beach. Our room was very spacious with 2 queen beds, microwave and fridge. I loved having a little table and chairs right outside our door so we could sit outside and enjoy the view and the sound of the waves on the beach. Beds were comfortable with memory foam mattresses. Internet service in the room worked well. Our room was on the first floor near the street, but I didn't notice any street noise. Convenient to most everything in Rockport and Bearskin Neck. Sufficient parking with spaces right outside most rooms. We stayed on a Sunday & Monday night so the property was very quiet. Host Gary was there when we checked in and when we went to the office to inquire about places to eat and things to do - full of great suggestions.

Negatives - Bathroom floor tile needed grout cleaned to improve overall appearance. Room was reserved for two and only had two towels in the room (I have long hair and needed an extra), but extras were provided when we went up to the office to request them. Coffee maker in the room, but no coffee supplies provided. No breakfast provided (not a big deal for me, but was an issue for my travel companion).

Overall I was please with our choice and would definitely stay here again when traveling in this area!

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower level while closer to the street seemed more private - we stayed in Room 14.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Spent a week here the beginning of August. So relaxing. 2nd floor room over looking the beach across the street. Within walking distance of everything. Friendly and accommodating staff. Very clean room, and well maintained property. Lots of outdoor seating for relaxing or just taking in the view. WIFI connection in room excellent.

Room Tip: Main house good for couples or singles. 1st floor rooms accessible through lobby. 2nd floor steps...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Clifton Park, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I stay here in early August with my husband and enjoyed our stay. The room was clean and had a microwave and mini fridge. We also had a little table outside our room with a great view of the town beach. The only draw back was we had to walk through the lobby area to get out in front of our room. Staff was friendly and hardworking, although they are not always on site. All in all, we'd come again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
MA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We've stayed in another Eagle House property before--the guest house near the motel on Cleaves--and had a very good experience. My husband and I needed a 24-hour getaway and were happy to get this room with a king-sized bed right across the street from Front Beach--for me, falling asleep and waking up to the sound of ocean waves is heaven. But when we got there and Gary, the owner, showed us the room, he acknowledged that he just hadn't gotten around to replacing the windows, one of which we couldn't open at all and the other which we could only open very partially. Big disappointment. But what really marred this trip is the bed. Other reviews (presumably in other rooms or other beds) talked about the comfort of their beds--this one had a 3-inch mattress (not a comfy mattress topper) on top of the regular mattress--maybe because they know it's defective-- and boxspring and the whole thing was so saggy and uncomfortable (I kept trying to find a better place but after a couple of minutes anywhere on the bed would sag) and then I woke up with the worst back-ache I've ever had and am still doing ibuprofen every 4 hours, the next day. I left a phone message for Gary (check-out here just means leaving your key, there is no permanent front desk staff) so he would know of the terrible quality of the bed, and letting know I was actually in pain, and leaving my phone number (he already had my email) in case he wanted to call, but didn't hear back from him, which I think is terrible customer service. I had resolved not to write a bad review until I gave him a chance to contact me, but no dice.

I don't have a sensitive back and have never slept on such a bad mattress.

Also, a nice group of women was having a family reunion and sitting on the porch directly outside our room late at night; they weren't being horribly loud but it was right there and with the bathroom window open to help with the breeze it was like they were right in the room (and made bathroom privacy difficult!); even when we closed it it wasn't quiet. The chairs were 2 feet from our door. So that is a downside of the property, or at least the upstairs rooms facing the porch.

So, pros are location, overall nice property, microwave and minifridge in room superclean and useful, little table and chairs to eat at. Cons were the broken windows, the sitting area right outside our door/bathroom/room, the fact that there are no phones in the rooms and no staff there (if there is an emergency you'd have to use your hopefully-charged cellphone and have written down Gary's cellphone number) which was only a problem in theory but concerning--and most significantly, the absolutely horrible bed, uncomfortable night and morning, and aching back.

(Also, minor suggestion--packets of "conditioning shampoo" hard to open and use; better to have bottles, and separate shampoo and conditioner. Not something I would have even mentioned except while I'm writing a review, I wanted to pass on that piece of constructive feedback.)

I would have given this a 3.5 (if it were possible to do half-stars) or 4 but b/c of the bed, I think 2 is a little high. Very very disappointing--the bed itself, and no follow-up afterwards. We'd hoped to make this the place we'd come on a repeat basis for a getaway, but would not do so now unless I knew things were different.

Room Tip: Not room 7 or other rooms with porch access b/c of noise if there is a group hanging out there. And...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Eagle House Beachside? Share your experiences!