“Pretty good place to spend a couple days.” 3 of 5 stars

Rockport Inn and Suites
183 Main St., Rockport, MA 01966   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Rockport
Boston
“Pretty good place to spend a couple days.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel and suites is Good, better than Average, but a little short of Very Good. It is right across the street from the town trolley/bus, which runs pretty frequently, and a very short drive to Bearskin neck, or the beaches in Gloucester and Rockport. We stayed for 2 nights and brought our medium sized dog, which we REALLY appreciated ( and paid $30/night extra for). We also appreciate that they let our well behaved dog, stay in the room when we were out, and took our cellphone in case he needed us. This alone is worth SO much to us. Most of the staff were friendly when necessary, though most of them not especially so. The facility is in good shape and clean. The room we stayed in had a slight odor of beach hotel ( damp-must) but compared to many hotels, not too bad. Other than that, the room was very clean and well maintained. I guess the only thing that disappointed me was, that despite the fact that they did not appear to be sold out at anytime during our stay, the woman who checked us in was adamant that check in is at 3 PM, and that she had no larger rooms available. Walking the dog during my stay, it appeared to me, that this wasn't entirely true, and that there likely were rooms ready at 1:30 when we got there. I think she may have assumed that I was looking for complimentary upgrade, rather than realizing that I was simply asking if there was a larger room available at anytime during our stay ( at any price), not necessarily at 1:30 when we were trying to check in. Honestly, she just didn't seem that sincere, and gave me the feeling that she might feel underpaid. Breakfast is standard cold continental fare, though served in a clean dining room. Newspapers were hard to come by, and seemed to be relinquished by the front desk as a definite favor. No sign of waffles nor anything warm other than coffee at breakfast. We'll likely try this place again, and are fairly optimistic that we may have better luck next time. We value hospitality very much, and just a little more of it would likely have gone a long way towards our overall impression. If Trip Advisor had a rating between Average and Very Good ( i.e.- Good) we'd have preferred to chose that in most of our ratings overall, instead of Average. This place is better than Average, but short of Very Good.

Room Tip: Some rooms can be parked in front of, others are in small courtyards, or in the main building. They...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
rockportinnsuites, General Manager at Rockport Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for an honest review of your recent stay, I am glad to hear of the cleanliness levels throughout your stay and appreciate the work the staff does to provide that.. I apologize for you not experiencing our waffles,I have recently discovered a talent for making waffles as well and would love the opportunity to provide that for you again... please consider us again when visiting Rockport and Cape Ann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a nicely located, very clean property with a wonderful staff. It has everything you'd want for a nice stay...a microwave, refrigerator, indoor pool, hot tub, internet access, free breakfast (ask for waffles) and located right across the street from the trolley. No need to drive to Rockport and fight for parking! We arrived earlier than expected and when we asked if we could just park the car, 'T' went out of her way to check us in early because we had an infant with us. That was greatly appreciated. I can't say enough about ALL the staff there including Matt, Kayla and everyone else whose name I don't know...very helpful with directions, eateries, etc.
We will definitely be back again! Thanks for a wonderful weekend stay!

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking, ask for a room with parking in front otherwise you may have to park...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are excited to hear of your recent experience at The Rockport Inn and Suites, It is great to hear of the impact the staff have on our guests stay...they consistently deliver great customer service and "T" is a fine example of that...we look forward to you staying with us again...see you soon!!
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

would have to agree with some of the reviews definitely clean but not a 250 a night room. The King loft sounded wonderful until we realized the second bed for our teen daughters was a pull out sofa (no more than a double) with a one inch mattress. The front desk was helpful and moved us to a two queen bed one room unit. The Inn looks nice at night from the outside and although clean the inside is very dated. The "free" breakfast in the morning is not worth staying for. I wish they would offer a ten or 15 dollar reduction so you could put that towards a nice breakfast at a local restaurant. Rockport Inn is not close enough to the water to walk but location is still good and we didnt find parking to be a big deal even on the Labor Day long weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for recently taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay... I apologize that the King bedroom Suite was not what expected upon arrival, but am glad to see the staff responded with an alternative... There are some really neat little breakfast nooks throughout Rockport for when a continental breakfast just isn't enough...The Red Skiff is Fantastic and Brothers Brew is a great local Breakfast spot....
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

First off I would say the hotel is very clean and the rooms are big. However I did not think this room was worth $250 we spent for one night. The thing that really grossed me out was the septic smell that came up every time I turned the bathroom sink on. Also, the AC did not seem to be working well. I woke up several times from being warm and we had turned it down as low as it would go. I spoke to a manager the next day (as I did not want to complain while checking out in front of the wedding party we were with) and was told that since they used well water, they get that smell sometimes. I understood, but for $250 a night, did not feel like smelling a sewerage smell while I brushing my teeth etc. The manager told me he would "do something to my credit card" implying he would credit me something for my dissatisfaction but he did not sound very genuine and sure enough never did anything. If you're someone who is not sensitive to smells like that I would say stay here, everything else was nice. I just can't handle bad smells.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share of your recent experience...and I apologize it was not what should have been expected. We definitely strive to deliver a great guest experience every time with great customer service and unfortunately we did not... From this we have recently looked into some of your concerns and are continuously looking for ways to better our overall guest experience!!
Trumbull, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We came here to coordinate a whale watching trip. The room was very clean and comfortable. Location is convenient to restaurants and downtown Rockport. Helpful advice from the front desk on good restaurants. Enjoyed the patio area by the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
It was great to hear of your recent stay with us and the fantastic opportunity with the Whale watch...what an amazing creature and they love to show off!!! we hope you will choose to stay with us again when visiting Rockport!!
East Longmeadow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have visited Rockport for several years and this is our third stay at Rockport Inn. The suites are perfect for a family. Master bedroom, pullout couch and enough room for a cot. The hotel is well kept and staff is very friendly. Indoor pool is good and excersize room although small, usually has an open treadmill. The continental breakfast is not expansive but just enough. My only suggestion is that you may want to request a suite with two floors( master bedroom on second floor) if you don't have an issue with stairs. Th one floor suite is nice but the bedroom opens to the hallway & ice maker( convenient but sometimes noisy.) We will definitely go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again, and we are glad you enjoyed your stay...the staff thoroughly enjoys delivering great customer service and it is great to hear back of their success!! we look forward to you staying with us again!!
Springfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We have been here a number of times and always enjoy our stay. The rooms are nicely renovated, clean and well-appointed. There are plenty of pillows and very comfortable beds. The staff is fantastic and quite helpful. The breakfast is a great kick-off to the day, including made-to-order waffles and a wide variety of choices. Given that Rockport is a tightly crowded little town, the location is great....not too far from the center, with a convenient trolley right across the street so you don't have to worry about parking downtown. Overall, we love the hotel and would have no reason to look for any other!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
rockportinnsuites, General Manager at Rockport Inn and Suites, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
It was a pleasure to read your recent review and exciting to hear that you have stayed with us multiple times.... we have a fantastic staff and property and we are excited to share that with you.... We look forward to your future visits to the amazing town of Rockport and the Rockport Inn and Suites!!

Been to Rockport Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!