“I only wish I could have stayed longer” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
New Year's Eve Package
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Rockport
Texas
“I only wish I could have stayed longer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

The setting of the Inn is idyllic. My goal was to find a quaint, lovely place where I could de-stress for a couple of days before heading to a conference in Boston. The Emerson Inn was perfect. My room, a "cozy" as they call it, was small but very adequate for a solo traveler. It was immaculate and the bed very comfortable. I was very pleased to get a nice ocean view even though I had been told that at the mid-week special rate I was receiving I would not have an ocean view. I got a glimpse of a queen room and it would be better for a couple.
The rocking chair-lined porches were lovely, the employees all very warm and helpful to answer questions about the area. The breakfast is fabulous, better than I've had at many four-star hotels. I found the evening menu to be a little pricey so I made a selection from the casual menu the first night and opted to eat in town the next. That was a mistake, the rather mundane food in a 'fish shack' in Rockport wound up costing almost as much as a meal at the Grand Cafe would have cost. Food is not cheap in Rockport, so at least be sure it's good!
Some reviewers have commented that the inn is not in walking distance from other venues, which is true. I found that to be an asset, but if you want to be in the middle of things and a 10-minute drive is too much for you, then the Emerson Inn is not for you.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

We selected the Emerson Inn due to location - wanting to be married with a water view (our photos were gorgeous due to the background scenery). Food was a lower priority than location, so what an incredible bonus to have the food be absolutely delicious, great variety of selections were available and the guests raved about the food - both appetizers and entrees were just mouth watering. Then to top it off - service was exceptional - the Inn's events coordinator, Melissa was on top of everything - every detail - making it a lot less stressful for us. Our guests loved the Inn and all of us that stayed at the Inn still talk about the breakfast buffet. 5 stars all around - accommodations, food and service.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

My wife and I got married at the Emerson two weeks ago. The staff was exceptional. The food was amazing! Our families stayed at the Inn (9 rooms) and there were no issues, everything was just perfect for us. I absolutely felt compelled to write a review to let everyone know what a nice place the Emerson Inn is to stay. I look forward to returning on our anniversary. It's got charm, ocean view, and a friendly staff. Great spot for a romantic weekend away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Wooster, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2009

The name, the location, and the website lead one to envision a sumptuous, classy and buttoned-up facility. The place is charming. The rooms are perfectly clean. The beds are comfy, with exquisite linens. The "Classic" vacation rental home is as-advertised -- no more, no less. (Except maybe, n.b., no wi-fi there.)

But your stay will be sweeter if you lower your expectations, and set out to enjoy the history, the rocks, the sea view, the super-duper breakfasts and the excellent menu cuisine -- and let the rest fall where it may.

Service and amenities are simply uneven. That includes concierge/front desk know-how and efficiency, dining room understaffed or new-and-fumbling, basic in-room toiletries missing, minor promises broken (e.g., "Boston Globe every morning"; cold water in a "heated pool"; so-called "business center"), and near-total inattention to hotel guests on days when a wedding takes place. Furnishings and decor are mementos of the hotel's history. Just think "shabby chic," and you'll have a fine time.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

When have you ever heard of getting charged $25 for cancelling a reservation, when it is over two months out?
My wife booked a weekend away in two months for our anniversary and told me about it that evening, I informed her that weekend would not work due to business and she would need to cancel, she called WITHIN 24 hours and was charged $25 to cancel the reservation, even though it was still two months away!!!

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2008

Every year some of my family members and I go to Rockport in December for some bonding time. Two years ago we had visited the Emerson by the Sea to see a Gingerbread House display. While there we toured the place. It was well decorated for the holidays and a guest room was open to visitors. We decided to try them this year for our weekend stay instead of one of the Bed & Breakfasts in downtown Rockport. When we arrived there after 4pm in the dark, there not one outside light on. We found our way to the door and checked in. The rooms were tired and in need of updating. Bedposts were broken and in one room the TV cabinet doors looked like they had been torn off. The wallpaper looked old and dingy. We ate dinner in their restaurant. Very pricey. I ordered the squash ravioli which was $20.00 and 5 ravioli. That's $4.00 a ravioli! No vegetable or side dish comes with the meal. That was it. These things will keep us from coming back. We will be staying at the Bed & Breakfasts in town from now on.

Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
new york
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

The hotel property is a rather nice location by the sea in Rockport, MA. However, this hotel lacks the services one would expect. I spent $350 for my room and absolutely no services what-so-ever. When I asked for local information from the front desk, every contact was wrong for some reason. The restaurant at the hotel was out of anything I asked to order on the menu. Service was equal to a hotel that charges less than $100. Rooms are run down. Many rules posted everywhere. I was ask to initial my check-in in five different places -- perhaps the owners are nutsy??? The area is lovely with many choices, so I would avoid this one.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The management is terrible!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Emerson Inn by the Sea? Share your experiences!