“Disappointed this Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Miami
“Disappointed this Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our favorite hotel in the south shore area. This trip we had the same potentially dangerous situation on 2 separate days. The bathtub faucet, with shower on, froze in the hot water mode and almost caused severe burns. Couldn't shut it off! Called receptionist the send plumber immediately. He came and had to dismantle faucet to shut of water with a wrench. He said he lubricated device and reassembled faucet which worked okay for a day and a half. The night before we were schedule for a 5 AM checkout, tried to shower around 11PM. Faucet froze again in hot water position. Called front desk and was told no one available. Explained our situation and was offered a clean room. Said we couldn't move as we had a 5 AM check for an early flight from Boston. Told clerk we didn't want the water running all night and being wasted as well as keeping us awake. Asked clerk to bring a hammer to try and shut off; clerk didn't have access to tools! Told clerk to call maintenance supervisor which clerk finally agreed to do. Clerk called back and said he was coming to room. He was much bigger and stronger than me and he finally was able to shut it off. We had to wah with hand towels from the sink as we didn't want to turn the tub faucet back on.

Room Tip: 5th floor away from the bar/restaurant area is best because the bar and corridors get roudy on Frida...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of your recent stay. First, allow me to apologize for the situation regarding the bathroom faucet. As you know, these types of mechanical issues can arise from time to time. I am sure that this was certainly an inconvenience and am very sorry that this happened during your stay. I wanted to pass along that this matter has been corrected and we have tested the faucet several times to make sure that this working properly. You mentioned that we are your favorite hotel in the area--thank you--and it appears that you visit the area numerous times during the year. For your next stay, please contact me directly as I would like to assist you with your reservation. Until then, thank you for staying with us as we appreciate your business and please feel free to contact me directly to set up reservations for your next stay with us. Have a great rest of the summer!
Keri L. FitzGerald/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We were looking for somewhere to stay for a night before heading to Boston airport early - perfectly located 2 minutes from route 3, very clean and well presented. Nice sheets and big room. Not the cheapest night but I'm sure that had something to do with booking it at 9pm at night. Excellent place to stop.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review of your recent stay. I was pleased to read that you found our hotel to be clean and conveniently located. We hope that should your travel plans bring you back to the Rockland, Massachusetts area, you will once again stay with us. Thank you again as we appreciate your business and enjoy the remainder of the summer.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night because the south shore music circus recommended it on their website. Check-in went smoothly. We had a room with two queen beds. We paid 149.00 for one night. That's including taxes. The room was clean but seemed to be missing a couple essential items. Clock, fridge, safe. I'm not sure if 149.00 is good in that area because I didn't price shop but I probably would look into other places to stay next time. I really liked that it was non smoking.

• Stayed August 2013
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I read that you choose to stay with us as you were attending a show at the South Shore Music Circus--hope you enjoyed it! We have many guests stay with us that attend the shows. I just wanted to point out that rooms located on the 4th and 5th floors have microwaves and small fridges--rooms on the 2nd and 3rd do not but guests can request these items at the desk if they are placed in the room on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Clocks are in every guestroom so I have asked my Executive Housekeeper to do a room by room inventory to make sure evach room has a clock. We do not have safes in any of guestrooms. Complimentary safes are at the front desk and can hold smaller type items such as passports, tickets, keys etc. but are not large enough to hold electronic items such as laptops or larger type electronic items. I hope this information is helpful and if you plan to return to the area for another SSMC show, I hope you will once again stay with us. Thank you as we appreciate your business and have a great rest of the summer.
Newcastle, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I knocked 2 stars off of this hotel for one reason. The loud man at the front desk had the nerve...THE...NERVE....to tell me "Wow , you have a lot of food there" when I was buying a few (4) snacks for my family with 2 adults and 2 children. After a long ride from Boston, we were hungry and to hear that was really awful. How cruel. No matter how big or small someone is, no matter if they buy the entire store of snacks, that comment is unnecessary and embarrassing.

Other than the rude man, we enjoyed our stay. It was only for one night but we used the pool and it was nice and clean and quiet. We had a wedding in Brant Rock so it was a great location for wedding access. The room was clean. I really have no other complaints other than this one guy. So condescending.

Oh also...their rooms are not cheap. I have gotten 4 star hotels in NYC for $110 before so paying $170 for this was a bit steep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am sorry that the front desk agent made you feel uncomfortable but I do not think he meant to offend anyone. I will certainly speak with the agent to share this information and again I am sorry. Thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed the pool and guestroom. If your travels bring you back to the Rockland area, I hope you will once again stay with us as we appreciate your business.
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This Holiday Inn sits behind "Bella's" restaurant - just down the street from the route 3 on ramps.
Check in was fast and friendly. We needed two rooms and were able to get them on the same floor - just a few rooms apart.
Breakfast was fine - juice & coffee. Eggs, sausage, bagel, pancakes and make your own waffle.

It is a $110 - $130 a night hotel. So try to pay about that.

Room Tip: Don't get 201. It is right next to the laundry room (loud).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. If your travels bring you back to the Rockland, Massachusetts area, we hope you will once again stay with us as we appreciate your business.
palm harbor, florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

WE stayed there for a week july 1st to the 8th, the hotel is just off hwy 3 ,which is really nice if you are going into Boston or the other way to Plymouth and Cape cod, Steve was on the front desk when we checked in , greeted me as a priority club member ,he was very freindly and efficient,the front revolving door was broken, and was not fixed by the time we left !, i then went to get a luggage cart to take our cases up to our room on the 5th floor, the room was nice , large for a hotel room , fridge and microwave, very strange bathroom setup the sink and its very large counter is in the bedroom , only one sink, nice new 32in TV, desk, and a pullout sofabed, bed was a nice king,good free wi-fi , through the wall A/C very noisy, the maid service was very poor some days they would put towels and hand towels in the room and some not ? then did not leave any cups , but the worst was the room service, on the last day we ordered breakfast, THE BIG BREAKFAST, the eggs were not cooked just a clear runny mess, no bacon, no sausage, no toast, i called, ten minutes later they brought the toast , but nothing else, i called, another ten minutes to get the rest by which time everything else was cold, TERRIBLE, it says on the website that the hotel iwas redone in 2011, but it sure does not look like it , the interior is really dated, looks like the eighties. the hotel is clean and the staff are nice and friendly , going into Boston drive to the T subway station at QUINCY ADAMS, the nearest one at Briantree the parking lot is always full.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Thank you for mentioning that Steve at the front desk was friendly and that the hotel has a great location to Route 3. The front entrance door has been fixed I am happy to report. Regarding your room service experience. I apologize that the breakfast was not up to par as we typically have many guests who have room service during this time rave about the food. I have brought this to the attention of the lead chef and to the wait staff that deliver the room service. Again, please accept my sincere apologies and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Rockland area, that you will stay with us as we appreciate your business.
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

First let me start off with the fact that this Holiday Inn is clean, comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Its what you expect from a HI. I tend not to stay in HI hotels, when given the choice, as they aren't very consistent in their quality from one property to the next. However, there weren't many options available except for B&Bs and a Best Western and BW properties are even more unpredictable in quality (IMO). All in all, this property exceeded my expectations as Holiday Inns go and met my expectations of a 2 1/2 to 3 star hotel.

With that said, there are a few items to note:

Helpfulness of the Staff: We had a very late/early arrival (driving 8 hours overnight), so I called a few days in advance to give them the heads-up so they wouldn't think of us as a "No-Show". The woman on the phone said she'd make a note. I guess I'm jaded, because I called the day of our departure to confirm that they had our the note in their system. Sure enough, they did! I also asked if they had my PC # and if we could get a fridge. They had my # and even set aside a room for us right then so it was ready for when we checked in! I was very pleasantly surprised!

Hotel / Room: The pool was fun! My daughter loved playing in it! I liked that it didn't have an overbearing chlorine smell. The room was nice enough; the beds were comfy enough. One odd thing to note: There are no ledges in the shower/tub, save two small ones to hold a hotel size bottle of shampoo and soap, that are level enough to hold anything. I'm guessing its because the original shower/tubs had an insert put on top of them.

Emergency Response: Around 7am, I woke up to hear an alarm going off and fairly quickly figured out that it was the fire alarm. It was hard to tell from the room itself. To be honest, I felt like when the fire alarm would go off in my dorm (oh so many years ago). I figured it was a false alarm and that if it had been a real fire the staff would do way more than they did. Folks who heard the alarm took the stairs all the way down (we were on the top floor) and mingled in the parking lot. [Most of the people we saw were going to the same wedding we were so it was a lovely way to catch up with one another!] There was no one from the hotel at any of the exits that I could see directing guests as to where to go or what may be going on. The fire response was reasonably quick and they were the ones to give us the "all clear" to go back in - not hotel staff. If you had a conversation with staff at some point and asked what it was, they would tell you that it was a faulty wire and that they had started calling people to let them know. Perhaps a more effective way to approach this would have been to a) call the people on the top floors first and/or b) use the PA system to say that this was a false alarm (when it was known). I'm willing to believe that if this had been a real emergency, that the staff would have been in better form managing the guests. But I've also been in my fair share of drills, alarms, and the occassional actual fire - so I know what to do. I imagine there are many others, however, who aren't at all familiar with what to do and would appreciate guidance from the people who are there to not only ensure the pillows are soft and the bill is correct, but to keep them safe.

All in all, I would say the stay was a solid "average". With very few options nearby (though a new property is to be built across the street...), I would say that it is the better option over the Best Western.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear CTGinNoVA,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and room.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding emergency response which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Rockland? Share your experiences!