“Nice Hotel, Good Location, Clean” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Nice Hotel, Good Location, Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This Holiday Inn sits behind "Bella's" restaurant - just down the street from the route 3 on ramps.
Check in was fast and friendly. We needed two rooms and were able to get them on the same floor - just a few rooms apart.
Breakfast was fine - juice & coffee. Eggs, sausage, bagel, pancakes and make your own waffle.

It is a $110 - $130 a night hotel. So try to pay about that.

Room Tip: Don't get 201. It is right next to the laundry room (loud).
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. If your travels bring you back to the Rockland, Massachusetts area, we hope you will once again stay with us as we appreciate your business.
Keri L. FitzGerald/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
palm harbor, florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

WE stayed there for a week july 1st to the 8th, the hotel is just off hwy 3 ,which is really nice if you are going into Boston or the other way to Plymouth and Cape cod, Steve was on the front desk when we checked in , greeted me as a priority club member ,he was very freindly and efficient,the front revolving door was broken, and was not fixed by the time we left !, i then went to get a luggage cart to take our cases up to our room on the 5th floor, the room was nice , large for a hotel room , fridge and microwave, very strange bathroom setup the sink and its very large counter is in the bedroom , only one sink, nice new 32in TV, desk, and a pullout sofabed, bed was a nice king,good free wi-fi , through the wall A/C very noisy, the maid service was very poor some days they would put towels and hand towels in the room and some not ? then did not leave any cups , but the worst was the room service, on the last day we ordered breakfast, THE BIG BREAKFAST, the eggs were not cooked just a clear runny mess, no bacon, no sausage, no toast, i called, ten minutes later they brought the toast , but nothing else, i called, another ten minutes to get the rest by which time everything else was cold, TERRIBLE, it says on the website that the hotel iwas redone in 2011, but it sure does not look like it , the interior is really dated, looks like the eighties. the hotel is clean and the staff are nice and friendly , going into Boston drive to the T subway station at QUINCY ADAMS, the nearest one at Briantree the parking lot is always full.

Room Tip: high floor
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Thank you for mentioning that Steve at the front desk was friendly and that the hotel has a great location to Route 3. The front entrance door has been fixed I am happy to report. Regarding your room service experience. I apologize that the breakfast was not up to par as we typically have many guests who have room service during this time rave about the food. I have brought this to the attention of the lead chef and to the wait staff that deliver the room service. Again, please accept my sincere apologies and hope that if your travels bring you back to the Rockland area, that you will stay with us as we appreciate your business.
Fairfax, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

First let me start off with the fact that this Holiday Inn is clean, comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and helpful. Its what you expect from a HI. I tend not to stay in HI hotels, when given the choice, as they aren't very consistent in their quality from one property to the next. However, there weren't many options available except for B&Bs and a Best Western and BW properties are even more unpredictable in quality (IMO). All in all, this property exceeded my expectations as Holiday Inns go and met my expectations of a 2 1/2 to 3 star hotel.

With that said, there are a few items to note:

Helpfulness of the Staff: We had a very late/early arrival (driving 8 hours overnight), so I called a few days in advance to give them the heads-up so they wouldn't think of us as a "No-Show". The woman on the phone said she'd make a note. I guess I'm jaded, because I called the day of our departure to confirm that they had our the note in their system. Sure enough, they did! I also asked if they had my PC # and if we could get a fridge. They had my # and even set aside a room for us right then so it was ready for when we checked in! I was very pleasantly surprised!

Hotel / Room: The pool was fun! My daughter loved playing in it! I liked that it didn't have an overbearing chlorine smell. The room was nice enough; the beds were comfy enough. One odd thing to note: There are no ledges in the shower/tub, save two small ones to hold a hotel size bottle of shampoo and soap, that are level enough to hold anything. I'm guessing its because the original shower/tubs had an insert put on top of them.

Emergency Response: Around 7am, I woke up to hear an alarm going off and fairly quickly figured out that it was the fire alarm. It was hard to tell from the room itself. To be honest, I felt like when the fire alarm would go off in my dorm (oh so many years ago). I figured it was a false alarm and that if it had been a real fire the staff would do way more than they did. Folks who heard the alarm took the stairs all the way down (we were on the top floor) and mingled in the parking lot. [Most of the people we saw were going to the same wedding we were so it was a lovely way to catch up with one another!] There was no one from the hotel at any of the exits that I could see directing guests as to where to go or what may be going on. The fire response was reasonably quick and they were the ones to give us the "all clear" to go back in - not hotel staff. If you had a conversation with staff at some point and asked what it was, they would tell you that it was a faulty wire and that they had started calling people to let them know. Perhaps a more effective way to approach this would have been to a) call the people on the top floors first and/or b) use the PA system to say that this was a false alarm (when it was known). I'm willing to believe that if this had been a real emergency, that the staff would have been in better form managing the guests. But I've also been in my fair share of drills, alarms, and the occassional actual fire - so I know what to do. I imagine there are many others, however, who aren't at all familiar with what to do and would appreciate guidance from the people who are there to not only ensure the pillows are soft and the bill is correct, but to keep them safe.

All in all, I would say the stay was a solid "average". With very few options nearby (though a new property is to be built across the street...), I would say that it is the better option over the Best Western.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear CTGinNoVA,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and room.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding emergency response which was unacceptable. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I was extremely disappointed in my experience with the Holiday Inn Rockland. I contacted them to arrange a hotel block for my wedding, being that it was one of the most conveniently located hotels to our reception venue. When I questioned the room rate (because I was quite surprised by the "lack" of discount, compared to the AAA rate and other area hotels), I was told "I could go stay at one of the other hotels if I wanted to then", which to me is very poor customer service and not something you say to a potential customer.
After arranging the room block, I contacted the hotel a few weeks prior to the wedding to find out how many rooms were booked under the block. Naturally, I emailed the contact I had in regards to this, she replied (but seemed annoyed) and told me in the future "I should just contact the front desk, it would be easier that way). I would have gladly done that from the beginning, had I know (and had she told me in a polite way).
The week of the wedding I emailed my contact to let them know we would be dropping off welcome bags to be distributed to gifts (pretty customary these days). Here is the response I got... "Gift bags that are not labeled with individual’s names are $1 per bag for storage and distribution. You may want to bring in 8 bags more than the amount on the rooming list.".
I was shocked that the hotel was telling me they were going to charge me to hand out gift bags to my guests? What exactly is the $1 for? To put a bag on the floor and hand it to someone at check in? That is absurd to me. Regardless, since we were told it would be a $1 charge for bags not labeled, we decided we'd just label them and save ourselves the charge. BUT, upon arriving at the hotel my brother (who was dropping the bags off for us) was told that it would be a $3 charge for bags that WERE labeled??? We were never told there would be a charge for bags that were labeled, and the email I received made no indication of that, in fact, it lead us to believe that there would be no charge as long as we did label them. We refused to pay (it was ridiculous that we were being charged for this anyway, and I have NEVER had a hotel charge for something like this).

Overall I am EXTREMELY disappointed in my experience at the Holiday Inn. There are nicer hotels with better locations and cheaper rates in the area, I don't know who the Holiday Inn thinks they are, but next time, I would pay for my guests to get a ride 20 minutes further just to have a more pleasant experience. The Holiday Inn is definitely on my list of hotels that I will not stay at again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear dps982,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed Memorial day w/e. Had two rooms - one for my wife and I and the other for my son. Both beautiful king bed rooms that the staff insured us would be next to one another. Very nice lounge. The bartender helped us with tips for sightseeing in Boston. Close proximity to interstate - nice area, with many restaurants and shopping in area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you found the rooms to be comfortable. We have so many guests comment on how comfortable our beds are in the guestrooms. Thank you for also mentioning our great staff in the lounge and how convenient we are to the highway for easy access to and from the hotel. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the Rockland area you will once again stay with us.
Thank you and have a great summer!
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed for two nights in this very nice hotel. The staff in all areas of the hotel were quite friendly and attentive. The property is in a convenient location with ample parking. The lobby area is spacious and having an onsite lounge/ restaurant is a real plus. The bartender was very friendly and I found the room service quick and the food of fairly good quality.

I have two issues, however. One is that the housekeeping was not very good at all. Our room was not cleaned very well and our amenities were not replaced (coffee, etc.) Not a really big deal, the front desk will have coffee sent up, but they need to improve in that area. Second, and this is not really a complaint, but we were not offered the room upgrade to the executive level as PC members. I wouldn't have even known about it if I had not read the review below just now. Just be aware, if you are a PC member, that receiving that upgrade may not happen. It is probably subject to availability and so on - but if that is something you are expecting - don't. The only reason I take issue with it is because it was mentioned by the manager in the response to the review as if it were something they did for every PC member. We did receive our water, though.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the staff to be friendly and our location to be convenient. Thank you for mentioning that you enjoyed your room service. As the only full service hotel in the area, our guests appreciate having the restaurant on site and room service delivery. In regards to housekeeping, please note that I did bring this to the attention of our Executive Housekeeper in order for her to review with her staff--my apologies that you found their services not to your liking. In terms of upgrading Priority Club members, this is based upon availability only. We hope that if your travels bring you back to the Rockland, Massachusetts area, that you will once again stay with us. Thanks again as we appreciate your business. Enjoy the summer!
Gill, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Its been since last summer when we last stayed her but my husband and I have stayed her a few times because its close by to South Shore Music Circus. We have always found the desk staff to be pleasant, welcoming and helpful. The rooms we have stayed in were always lovely, very comfortable beds, pillows...very homey feeling to the room. Husband definitely appreciated the in room coffee maker.

One thing I would mention is that the restaurant, for breakfast, was slow with the service. But otherwise it was a perfect stay. We will be staying at least twice this coming August and are looking forward to our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I appreciate that you stay with us while you attend events at the South Shore Music Circus. We are big fans of the SSMC and always look forward to welcoming guests who attend the shows. Thank you also for mentioning the how friendly the staff is and the comfortable guest rooms. I apologize that the service during breakfast was slow. The restaurant can get very busy especially on the weekends when we typically have wedding and sports groups. You mentioned that you will be returning to the area and will be staying with us in August---thank you--we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back later this summer.
Keri L. FitzGerald/General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Rockland? Share your experiences!