“Nice hotel, idiot employees” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Gorham, Maine
“Nice hotel, idiot employees”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is really nice for a holiday inn. The bar area is nice, rooms were clean and modern (however only about half the tv channels they claim to have work. No NBC, CBS, ABC, or FOX). With the exception of the bartender, who was a really nice, personable guy, the staff were idiots!! There were two weddings booked for the weekend, and I understand they were sold out. Knowing there would be a lot of people arriving with lots of stuff, you would think they woul have extra staff to
help out. They not only had no luggage carts, the employees just stood around and watched as 30 people struggled to unload and attempt to haul stuff to their rooms. Housekeeping was terrible, rude and 'hovered' outside rooms so they could seek in the second you left as if they get paid by the number of rooms cleaned per day. The icing on the cake was the manager on duty Sunday morning. The bride had some items thrown away by housekeeping (who entered the room after 4pm which we found odd timing) and had misplaced an item, which ended up being not the fault of the hotel, however the manager was rude and insisted over and over that it couldn't be anything anyone at the hotel did. After the item was found, they thanked him and apologized for the trouble. He acted very put out and rudely walked off. The items that were throw away were never found, he explined they dont throw things away. Funny because the housekeeper we first spoke with admitted to it. Rule number one in customer service is: "the customer is always right" even when they aren't, this guy was very unpleasant and obviously had no managerial or service training.

• Stayed August 2012
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I appreciate that you mentioned that you thought the hotel was nice but did not share the same feeling towards my staff. I would like to take this opportunity to set the record straight regarding some of the issues mentioned in the survey. We actually have two large luggage carts on the property and I was on site as we had several weddings (including your group) in-house and we later found that the carts were kept in two of the guestsrooms for several hours. Later in the day when the carts were located, another group checked in and they insisted on taking care of their own luggage as we of course offered to help. I would like to also address housekeepers pay. They do not get paid on the number of rooms they clean. As we were sold out this particular night, some of our guests were given a later checkout and we wanted to assist them with this request. Since it was getting later in the day, housekeepers were just waiting for the guests to depart so that they could get the room clean and ready for the next guests checking in. The missing item I understand was a hanger which was not thrown away but was found by the guest in their luggage. I am fortunate to have a staff that undertands the meaning of excellent customer service and they truly do go the extra mile to make this happen.
Keri L. FitzGerald/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights for business. Everyone was very friendly from check in to all encountered staff. Housekeeping did a great job each day. Good internet connection and speed. Restaurant was fair and bartenders were awesome. Will stay here again next time I am in town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay while here on business. Thank you for mentioning how friendly you found my staff as we appreciate the fact that you chose our hotel. We hope to see you back again soon.
Thank you for your business.
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Rockland. On previous visits, we had always stayed at the Comfort Inn right down the street; however, from now on we will stay here. It is a much more modern hotel, on site dining and a pool. Our room was a double queen and was quite large. Love the toiletry products; Bath and Body Works !!!! The hotel is right off the interstate and very convenient to dining. The 99 Restaurant was awesome! And, there is a Home Goods/TJ Maxx right up the street. We will definately be back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I welcome you as a first time customer and from what you mention in your review--you had an awesome stay and will be back--Thank You!
As the only full service hotel in the Rockland, Massachusetts area, our convenient location off Exit 14/Route 3 makes traveling to shops and other area attractions hassle free. Hope you had an opportunity to enjoy our beautiful outdoor pool and kick back to enjoy a beverage and a delicious meal in our Kick Off Cafe. Thank you again--we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We were seeing a show at the South Shore Music Circus and we stayed at this hotel to avoid a long drive back home. I reserved a king room. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. When we arrived in our room, we found that they had given us a complimentary upgrade to a suite that included a large spacious room (it had to be about 900 square feet) and a large two-room bathroom (including a whirlpool tub). The room was very clean and immaculate. The bed was very comfortable. This is a great hotel for a romantic getaway!
The hotel property was very clean and the interior hallways were well lit. This Holiday Inn is a great example of how to use CFL bulbs that make interior hallways look bright and cheerful.
I would have given the hotel five stars but we were disappointed with the restaurant. The staff was slow and the food was very bland. My wife ordered salmon and she said it was pretty clear that it was a frozen filet. I ordered a vegetable pesto dish and it had absolutely no flavor whatsoever. The wait staff seemed to be overwhelmed by the number of patrons. The next morning at breakfast, we noticed the same wait staff that had been working the night before. Perhaps the restaurant should hire more staff and make the service a little bit speedier. As can be expected, the restaurant was also very, very pricey - not worth the money paid. My advice is to eat elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a whirlpool suite with a regular room reservation. Since we got a free upgrade, you might g...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you stayed with us while you attended a show at the South Shore Music Circus--hope you enjoyed the show--they do a fantastic job and I'm happy to write that the Holiday Inn/Rockland is the host hotel for the SSMC. Thank you for mentioning how friendly you found the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel--everyone connected with the hotel takes great pride in the property. I also see that you were upgraded (excellent) and your right--the whirlpool rooms are great for romantic getaways (we have special romance package rates). I was sorry to read that your experience in our restaurant did not meet your expectations as we generally have many guests and even non-guests eat in the cafe and have a great meal. I have passed along your review to our Food & Beverage Director in order for him to look into this matter. I do hope that upon your next visit to the South Shore Music Circus you will once again stay with us--we appreciate your business.
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Staff super friendly, even though rooms are older the bathrooms androoms are spacious ...full bar inside hotel with decent fare. Priority club members get free breakfast, water at check in and promo points. Walk to other dining.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you found my staff --super friendly--as they understand the importance of excellent customer service. Thank you for mentioning the spacious guestrooms and the convenience of our on-site restaurant The Kick Off Cafe. We have many guests who frequent our restaurant and comment on how they enjoyed their meal. It's a great spot to unwind for dinner and drinks after a long day at work or just taking some time to enjoy with friends and family. Thank you for also noting that you are a Priority Member--we certainly appreciate your loyalty and hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Manchester, NH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for weekend. Nice and clean. Good service as well at front desk.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
hirockland, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rockland, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I was pleased to read that you had an excellent stay with us. We take great pride in our hotel and want everyone to have a great experience. Thank you for mentioning the cleanliness and great service from the front desk. We understand that our guests have choices when it comes to lodging and we appreciate your business. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

The room I was put in had mold around the shower faucet. When I asked to be moved the front desk wanted to come "wipe it off" instead. My heater made noises that were loud enough to keep me up at night and when I complained it was ignored. A bald coworker came back to his room to find hair in it and since the front desk was so disinterested in the complaints from the rest of us, he ignored it. There was an extra points certificate distributed to each of us at check in but when we checked out they were "out". To the best of my knowledge, none of the 12 of us received the bonus.

This is a "never again" hotel for me.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. First, please allow me to apologize for any problems you experienced during your stay. Please note I have had my maintenance team check your room and have addressed the issues as you listed. We take these matters very seriously. Regarding the PC certificates, I apologize as we did run out and the front desk was making a list to send out once we received the certifcate shipment. We have since received the certificates and have sent to everyone on the list. If by chance you did not receive the certificate please let me know and I will be happy to send one to you. Thank you again --we appreciate your business.
Keri L. FitzGerald/General Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Rockland? Share your experiences!